Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Hi All,

Would love to get a few thoughts on which direction I should choose.

Have been here in the US for 9 1/2 years now and am on a Permanent Resident Green Card. As of today (6 months prior to card expiration) I can renew my Green Card for another 10 years or I thought hey, perhaps I could just do the Citizenship thing and not have to worry about any of that stuff again.

I'm not moving back to the UK from this land of opportunity so just wanted to get some learned ex-pats thoughts.

TIA!
David.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by datcha
Hi All,

Have been here in the US for 9 1/2 years now and am on a Permanent Resident Green Card. As of today (6 months prior to card expiration) I can renew my Green Card for another 10 years or I thought hey, perhaps I could just do the Citizenship thing and not have to worry about any of that stuff again.

I'm not moving back to the UK from this land of opportunity so just wanted to get some learned ex-pats thoughts.

TIA!
David.
I would defo say go for it. If you ever wanted to bring family over from the UK, then its a simple process - well let me rephrase that, its not exactly simple but its another option.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan never to return to the UK then get US citizenship.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it... if for no other reason than it will allow you become an active participant in the political process... instead of just a reactive onlooker!

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, I was in the same position as you two years ago and for the difference in cost, I went the citizenship route. Of course, I retained my British citizenship too, but I can vote, be called for jury duty (yay!) and never have to pay out for a renewal!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

As you intend to remain in the US I can see no disadvantages to taking citizenship. I certainly don't regret doing so.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, all! I've not really thought about it up until this point now that I'm in the window to renew the ol' GC. Am gonna read up now on the really-permanent route now
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nun
If you plan never to return to the UK then get US citizenship.
Why only if the OP never intends to return to the UK? IIRC you don't lose UK citizenship if you take the US one, do you?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, all! I've not really thought about it up until this point now that I'm in the window to renew the ol' GC. Am gonna read up now on the really-permanent route now
Think citizenship was actually the easiest and quickest immigration benefit I ever applied for. Of course, by the time you get to that stage you're already an expert on the wiles of USCIS, so perhaps it just seems that way.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Why only if the OP never intends to return to the UK? IIRC you don't lose UK citizenship if you take the US one, do you?
because your taxes become complicated maybe? As a US citizen you have complete a tax return each year wherever you are in the world.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I'm aware of the taxes, but personally I don't think that would be a big obstacle if the OP is planning to stay in the US.

The reason I like the idea of dual citizenship is that if something unexpected happens that requires an extended stay in the UK, you don't run into GC abandonment issues.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I'm aware of the taxes, but personally I don't think that would be a big obstacle if the OP is planning to stay in the US.

The reason I like the idea of dual citizenship is that if something unexpected happens that requires an extended stay in the UK, you don't run into GC abandonment issues.
Sorry,I was replying to as to why Nun would make that suggestion.

We knew about the Tax situation when we took citizenship but as we have 3 kids who will probably be living here, we decided it would be something we would have to live with, rather than risking visas if we move back to the UK.
We would like to move back once we get to retirement but that is 11 yrs away and things change. We already have one grand-daughter and who know what the next 11 yrs will bring.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

The always-have-to-file-taxes as a US Citizen is just Federal, right? No State taxes cos you aint in a State. I also know there /used/ to be an exemption amount ($80K in 2003) which you had to earn more than to have to pay anything to Uncle Sam.

Not sure I'll ever be rich enough though if I do move back to the UK to worry too much about those financial affairs.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

I went for it and became a Citizen a couple of months ago now. When you look at it, it's $490-something, I think, to renew your green card, and only £600-something for citizenship, so in a way it's a saving to go down the citizenship route. You keep your UK citizenship anyway, so you don't really lose anything by applying for citizenship, and it's not hard, just a little bit time consuming. Plus the way I look at it, it cements my ties to my adopted home, and if I ever wanted to, I'd be eligible to apply for a Federal job, you can vote, and I'm sure there are other things available to Citizens that are closed to non-citizens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.