Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew GC or go for citizenship?

Renew GC or go for citizenship?

Old May 22nd 2021, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Renew GC or go for citizenship?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you reviewed the forms? It is so simple to DIY naturalization. Save your money!
I've never looked, but I think I will now!
Old May 22nd 2021, 9:07 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you reviewed the forms? It is so simple to DIY naturalization. Save your money!
I agree completely. I had an issue, but no lawyer required.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400
Old May 23rd 2021, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I agree completely. I had an issue, but no lawyer required.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400
I agree. My wife and I both did this ourselves. The issue my wife had was them losing her fingerprints so she had to redo them. It meant we went to different Naturalization ceremonies a few weeks apart.
Old May 23rd 2021, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to add that it won't just be tax implications that you'll have to navigate as a dual US and UK citizen that lives in the UK. Investing money can potentially get very tricky too.
https://partnerswealthmanagement.co....ing-in-the-uk/
If you plan to do any investing, you'll need to read about various potential pitfalls to avoid.
Old May 23rd 2021, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I wanted to add that it won't just be tax implications that you'll have to navigate as a dual US and UK citizen that lives in the UK. Investing money can potentially get very tricky too.
https://partnerswealthmanagement.co....ing-in-the-uk/
If you plan to do any investing, you'll need to read about various potential pitfalls to avoid.
Definitely worth reading up about and getting advice on. A USC living in the UK cannot invest in any UK investment funds without being subject to PFIC taxes. (Passive Foreign Investment Companies). A UK personal pension plan (SIPP) is okay as the funds are within a pension wrapper and are only taxed by the IRS on withdrawal, but a Stocks and Shares ISA is tax free in the UK but the IRS does not recognize the tax free status and any funds inside the ISA will be subject to PFIC taxes. We have cash ISAs which are tax free in the UK but the IRS taxes the interest each year.