Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew British Passport while staying as a tourist

Renew British Passport while staying as a tourist

Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

gadgetdoctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew British Passport while staying as a tourist

I'm in the USA for at least a month right now, my passport is only valid for two months and when I get back to the UK I won't be there long enough to get a new passport.

If I renew my passport while in the US (by sending in my current passport) do I need someone to countersign my form and the back of the picture or is that only for new applications? I'm a bit short of UK citizens who've known me for 2 years here!

Confused! Any help much appreciated (or I'll have to call the rip off phone line!)

Gadgetdoctor
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew British Passport while staying as a tourist

my belief is you only need to get the photo signed again for a renewal if you have dramatically changed your appearance since the last photo. If its still clearly the same person then its not needed to renew.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
my belief is you only need to get the photo signed again for a renewal if you have dramatically changed your appearance since the last photo. If its still clearly the same person then its not needed to renew.
Thanks! That was what I was hoping to hear. The notes on the forms don't make this clear at all. It is made clear on the UK passport site, but the notes for the C1 form don't mention this bit at all.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gadgetdoctor
I'm in the USA for at least a month right now, my passport is only valid for two months and when I get back to the UK I won't be there long enough to get a new passport.

If I renew my passport while in the US (by sending in my current passport) do I need someone to countersign my form and the back of the picture or is that only for new applications? I'm a bit short of UK citizens who've known me for 2 years here!

Confused! Any help much appreciated (or I'll have to call the rip off phone line!)

Gadgetdoctor
How did you get in - i thought you needed at least 6 months on your passport to enter the US?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big D
How did you get in - i thought you needed at least 6 months on your passport to enter the US?
Very good question. BA check in raised an eyebrow, pointed out the expiry date on my passport (which I've been acutely aware of for some time but unable to stay in one place long enough to resolve) but let me go.

I don't know but isn't the advanced passenger information that BA collects and delivers to US Immigration supposed to mean that BA will be informed if there is someone on a flight that the US will not accept?

The border guard in the US this time just asked when I am leaving (I have a return ticket in 1 month) and was happy with that.

Gadgetdoctor
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
No you don't ... take a look in the FAQs:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new..._visa_niv.html
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:38 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gadgetdoctor

Gadgetdoctor
You can get your passport back the same day if you go early and in person your local Passport office...I did that once in Peterborough.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524654

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 19th 2008 at 2:44 am.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You can get your passport back the same day if you go early and in person your local Passport office...I did that once in Peterborough.

Exactly what I was going to say. We had a day out in Newport when my husband managed to wash his passport 2 weeks before our wedding & honeymoon....
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Don't know whether you can still do that with the new biometric PPs...worth checking first.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
well another myth bites the dust
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Urgent applications
If you need your passport within two weeks you should call our 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0870 521 0410 (see terms and conditions) to make an appointment at one of our offices. We can offer a Fast Track one week service or a Premium same-day service. More about urgent applications.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply...n-two-days.asp
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I spent an evening prior to a flight to the US freaking out about that one!

I think I only had three months left, but I called the airline and they said their would be no problems as I was only taking a two week trip to the US.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I spent an evening prior to a flight to the US freaking out about that one!

I think I only had three months left, but I called the airline and they said their would be no problems as I was only taking a two week trip to the US.
I'm obviously proof that you can enter the US with limited time on your passport, but I sure as heck don't want to be here when it expires (which is why my app for a new one was Fedex'ed to Washington yesterday :-)

My visa waiver form, however, was stamped for a date after the expiry of my passport.

Gadgetdoctor