Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Wikiposts

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice
Default Renew British passport in UK or US?

Hi,
I'm a Brit living in sunny California... (with a Green Card).
My British passport expires Jan 19th 2010.
I looked online, and it seems that if I renew it here in the US, it costs $212 ($224 inc. postage)... whereas if I renew it in the UK, it costs £77.50 (approx $124).
I'm tempted to use my UK address and apply from there (i.e. send the forms to my dear old Mum in the UK, then she could send the passport on to me here in the States... I'll be going back to the UK in the Spring, but don't plan on returning in the English winter if I can avaoid it!...)
Anyone know of a reason this wouldn't work?
(Please only reply if you're sure! Thanks!)
Richard
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew British passport in UK or US?

I am positively sure that I'm not sure. Thanks for allowing me to post.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

CarlWain74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richard92024
Hi,
I looked online, and it seems that if I renew it here in the US, it costs $212 ($224 inc. postage)... whereas if I renew it in the UK, it costs £77.50 (approx $124).
I'm tempted to use my UK address and apply from there (i.e. send the forms to my dear old Mum in the UK, then she could send the passport on to me here in the States... I'll be going back to the UK in the Spring, but don't plan on returning in the English winter if I can avaoid it!...)
Richard
Richard,

I can't see why this would not work out. The passport agency will send the passport to the address on the form when you submit it.

How fast can you send post to the UK? this is something I am still trying to find out.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:45 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlWain74
How fast can you send post to the UK? this is something I am still trying to find out.
Pretty fast really.
2 to 5 days from the US to the UK.
Then 4 to 10 weeks from any UK airport to the doorstep.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Pretty fast really.
Courier is better than regular post.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Richard
It was explained to me that when it is delivered to an address, the passport holder has to sign and show ID. So that would not work.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

put off by the cost and the Washington embassy delays, I got my parents to send me the application forms, filled them out, went to Walgreens to have my photos done (their photo system actually has a British Passport option) sent them to my parents (arrived in 3 days but Chicago to Birmingham post is always quick)

Because the post office were about to have strikes I got them to take the stuff to the post office to be be checked and sent. I also chose the "return via 3rd party courier" option on the passport

It was back to parents within the week and they sent it back via DHL and it was in my hands the day after.

So I got my passport back in 2 weeks from my initially sending it

Last edited by dave2702; Dec 3rd 2009 at 1:56 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you're vacillating over $100 difference - which could easily get eaten up with mail/courier costs back and forth across the pond.

I renewed my UK passport a couple of years ago at the Embassy in DC. Yes, it was more expensive, but what the hell... it was way more convenient.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:56 am
Just Joined

psb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nice

when I lived in the states I got my GB passport from DC can't remember the cost
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:01 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I can't believe you're vacillating over $100 difference - which could easily get eaten up with mail/courier costs back and forth across the pond.

I renewed my UK passport a couple of years ago at the Embassy in DC. Yes, it was more expensive, but what the hell... it was way more convenient.

Ian
I concur fully - for me it was way easier to just fill in the forms pay the $'s and send it to DC.

If I had to rely on my Mum to forward mail to the Passport office etc I would be waiting forever to go abroad - plus seeing as how it was my decision to move over here why would I want to put my Mum out to get her to send me the forms etc. so I could save some $'s
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Pretty fast really.
I'd wait till after x-mas when the mail rush settles down, even using a courier to lower the risk of it going missing.

Sending it to the UK makes sense if you've got more than one passport to sort out, so worth the bother if you don't need it in a rush, not that it'll be a quick effort done over here either.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

Many thanks for the replies.
This is a question for Dave:
You said you asked for the passport to be "Returned via third party courier." If the courier wanted a signature, I guess it was OK with it not being yours?
(A previous poster said that they had heard that on delivery, they needed the passport holders signature and ID).
I just filled in the online application for a form to be sent to my UK address. I didn't tick the box, though, re. requesting the passport be returned by a third party courier. I can't believe the Post Office are the ones who would need a signature...
Any ideas on this?
Thanks again!
Richard
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

That was me Richard. (Previous Poster) I was informed that Passports are normally handled through courier or priority mail through regular post. Even through regular priority mail, it still usually needs to be signed for with proof of ID. The passport office would not send out mail without some means of security. Contact the British Post service and see if that is indeed the case. Perhaps this Third Party Courier does not need a signature from the applicant. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Wooglin; Dec 3rd 2009 at 2:32 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the replies.
This is a question for Dave:
You said you asked for the passport to be "Returned via third party courier." If the courier wanted a signature, I guess it was OK with it not being yours?
(A previous poster said that they had heard that on delivery, they needed the passport holders signature and ID).
I just filled in the online application for a form to be sent to my UK address. I didn't tick the box, though, re. requesting the passport be returned by a third party courier. I can't believe the Post Office are the ones who would need a signature...
Any ideas on this?
Thanks again!
Richard
One of the options is to pay for secure delivery from the passport office and it was just delivered and signed for, no one asked for proof of identity my mother just signed for it
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for all the great advice
I'll post back here in a few weeks once, hopefully, I have my new passport in my hands
Cheers,
Richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.