Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Removal Quotes?

Removal Quotes?

Old Jul 1st 2006, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removal Quotes?

Right then, anyone have much recent experience and have an idea on what's a reasonable quote...

The move, some 230 odd miles...I've posted on a few of those moving bid sites as well as asked a few brokers and direct to places and have had a range of bids from "licensed and bonded" companies, whatever that means from $800 for load and delivery and unload to $1800.

For a full packing and unpack from $1300 - $2700

Some have 100% binding on the cost with our item listing, and I've had estimates that have either the weight from 2000-2500 pounds, and/or 300-350 cubic feet.

As my grasp of the imperial measurements are rather shite, I'm not all that sure, but it sounds good to me....oh, and the quotes included protective packing sheets for the furniture and the like, petrol, tolls, milage and a flight of stairs and 75 feet of lugging shite around as the average....cost per extra flight of stairs has ranged from $50-100

The big names, well groups have been Mayflower, National Van Lines and Atlas as far as I could tell...so anyone got any thoughts?
Old Jul 1st 2006, 12:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal Quotes?

Originally Posted by Bob
Right then, anyone have much recent experience and have an idea on what's a reasonable quote...

The move, some 230 odd miles...I've posted on a few of those moving bid sites as well as asked a few brokers and direct to places and have had a range of bids from "licensed and bonded" companies, whatever that means from $800 for load and delivery and unload to $1800.

Some have 100% binding on the cost with our item listing, and I've had estimates that have either the weight from 2000-2500 pounds, and/or 300-350 cubic feet.

As my grasp of the imperial measurements are rather shite, I'm not all that sure, but it sounds good to me....oh, and the quotes included protective packing sheets for the furniture and the like, petrol, tolls, milage and a flight of stairs and 75 feet of lugging shite around as the average....cost per extra flight of stairs has ranged from $50-100

The big names, well groups have been Mayflower, National Van Lines and Atlas as far as I could tell...so anyone got any thoughts?
Check www.movingscam.com to learn who are the crooks and tips on having a smooth and timely move.

BTW, didn't you say your new employer is paying for the relocation? If so, do they have any suggestions? You can't be the first employee who've they've paid relocation expenses to.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Check www.movingscam.com to learn who are the crooks and tips on having a smooth and timely move.

BTW, didn't you say your new employer is paying for the relocation? If so, do they have any suggestions? You can't be the first employee who've they've paid relocation expenses to.

Yup, there stumping $2K for it, and have recommended three places, first couldn't do it in time, and the other two were affiliates of mayflower and van line...they've relocated someone from California and Texas....but as I'm organising and they are paying, I'm still looking around for what's a good price...have had such varied quotes...

anyway, cheers for the link, I'll check it out
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Hi Bob, we just moved from NYC to Florida. Do not except cubic feet estimates. They are usually a rip off. Do go with a guaranteed fixed price. Stairs are extra, we just payed $1500 extra for shuttle truck to come into Manhattan, 53' trucks are not allowed downtown NYC.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Bob, we just moved from NYC to Florida. Do not except cubic feet estimates. They are usually a rip off. Do go with a guaranteed fixed price. Stairs are extra, we just payed $1500 extra for shuttle truck to come into Manhattan, 53' trucks are not allowed downtown NYC.
Reg. Frank R.
ouch....that's some shuttle runs...

and yeah, I'm crossing off all those cubic quotes, which has left me with a whopping one left, and a bloke coming in an hour or so, and another outfit from Portland on monday....getting close to crunch time though which ain't helping, but we'll see...
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:47 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
ouch....that's some shuttle runs...

and yeah, I'm crossing off all those cubic quotes, which has left me with a whopping one left, and a bloke coming in an hour or so, and another outfit from Portland on monday....getting close to crunch time though which ain't helping, but we'll see...
I had quotes on moving 3 times, only to end up doing a 'self move' each time. As I recall, for a 3 BR house, they (Mayflower) wanted appx. $3500 to move us the last time.
Ended up getting a Penske Truck and car trailer and doing it myself for under a thousand. My company would have paid either way- it just was easier to do it ourselves. They did pay all expenses, even a few hundred for friends to help load up, and kicked in $1000 for my part.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:54 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, there stumping $2K for it,
Spend $200 on a U Haul, $200 for a couple of illegals picked up at Home Depot and pocket the $1600 difference.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by frrussre
Reg. Frank R.
and most semi truck drivers wont go anywhere near NYC for love nor money even if they weren't.