British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Removal/Movers/Shipping companies (UK to Colorado) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/removal-movers-shipping-companies-uk-colorado-715919/)

Cazza_x May 6th 2011 11:51 am

Removal/Movers/Shipping companies (UK to Colorado)

Hi everyone :thumbup:

Can anyone please advise/recommend a good furntiture removal/movers/shipping company who will be able to transport my household furniture from the United Kingdom (England) to Colorado (Fort Collins area).

Any recommendations or advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
:)

dunroving May 6th 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Removal/Movers/Shipping companies (UK to Colorado)

Originally Posted by Cazza_x (Post 9347074)

Can anyone please advise/recommend a good furntiture removal/movers/shipping company who will be able to transport my household furniture from the United Kingdom (England) to Colorado (Fort Collins area).

Many thanks

Wheaton Worldwide
Rinkens

Also, if you use the Search facility, you'll find several previous threads asking the same question.

joto May 6th 2011 4:30 pm

When we first moved over here from UK to MA we used Pickfords. It was so long ago, I can't remember the details, but they saw to everything. I don't remember if a customs inspection was done. They were very good although a little bit on the expensive side, but it was a company move. There was only one minor thing broken. When we moved from MA to CO, again a company move, it was Golden Van Lines, a part of Allied, I believe. They were excellent. They packed everything for us, 3 bed house contents including 2 cars to be shipped. It took about 3-4 days for packing and a 3 1/2 day trip across country and not a thing was broken. We had a great crew of guys doing everything. It mostly all depends on the crew you get.

Bob May 6th 2011 4:34 pm

Who ever you use, find out who is contracted to do the work on the other end, then check them out against the scam moving website.

Cazza_x May 6th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9347577)
Who ever you use, find out who is contracted to do the work on the other end, then check them out against the scam moving website.

Thank you for the advice :thumbup:

Cazza_x May 6th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 9347567)
When we first moved over here from UK to MA we used Pickfords. It was so long ago, I can't remember the details, but they saw to everything. I don't remember if a customs inspection was done. They were very good although a little bit on the expensive side, but it was a company move. There was only one minor thing broken. When we moved from MA to CO, again a company move, it was Golden Van Lines, a part of Allied, I believe. They were excellent. They packed everything for us, 3 bed house contents including 2 cars to be shipped. It took about 3-4 days for packing and a 3 1/2 day trip across country and not a thing was broken. We had a great crew of guys doing everything. It mostly all depends on the crew you get.

I am actually in the process of getting a quote from Pickfords and arranging an appointment for them to view my house/furniture as I believe there a good company! Thank you for the advice!! :thumbup:

LizBeth May 7th 2011 7:57 pm

We used Doree Bonner. The man we dealt with (Andrew Boyd) knew his stuff and they price-matched a lower quote from another company. All arrived OK...

msw May 7th 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cazza_x (Post 9347074)

Many thanks

hi,
Not sure where in England you are but we just moved from Bristol to US. We used Yeates who are based in Clevedon and they (and the US company who delivered) where outstanding - brilliant service, very pleased.

Cazza_x May 7th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by msw (Post 9349708)
hi,
Not sure where in England you are but we just moved from Bristol to US. We used Yeates who are based in Clevedon and they (and the US company who delivered) where outstanding - brilliant service, very pleased.

That's really good to know will defiantly check them out on the Internet!
Thank you :D

Gerber Jun 1st 2011 10:35 am

FYI, received three recent quotes all £5000+ for 20ft containers UK-USA. The quotes are quite high for that size of move (compared to recent quotes for some on this forum. One, in particular, came from Pickford's and was ridiculously high, plus we had to chase up the quote after the survey.

We are checking out other companies and waiting for their quotes. ;)

shadowmeister Jun 1st 2011 11:52 am

We have been looking into this as well. We dont have any furniture and not really that many items. Like a TV flat screen that is new .. and a picture frame and probably a few more boxes. seems like all the places are focusing on people bring a container full. and then i wasnt sure if there are other costs besides the quote they give that are added on .. customs or maybe something like that. :)

Gerber Jun 1st 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by shadowmeister (Post 9402379)
We have been looking into this as well. We dont have any furniture and not really that many items. Like a TV flat screen that is new .. and a picture frame and probably a few more boxes. seems like all the places are focusing on people bring a container full. and then i wasnt sure if there are other costs besides the quote they give that are added on .. customs or maybe something like that. :)

I wish we had less stuff to ship, but DH is reluctant to part with things. It's a lot cheaper to ship groupage than a full container, IMO. One company tried to tell us we needed a 40ft, although 1/3 would remain empty (yeah right). :sneaky: I'm getting door-to-door quotes, but sourcing insurance with other companies. Otherwise, they can add on charges at the other end, or so I've heard.

Now, if I can just get hubby to part with some unnecessary rubbish...lol. :rolleyes:

Lookoutapiano Jun 1st 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9347577)

which website is that pls Bob?

Bob Jun 1st 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lookoutapiano (Post 9402778)
which website is that pls Bob?

http://tinyurl.com/3gg5cfb

Annu Jun 6th 2011 12:16 pm

Hi
Just registered on this very informative site; we're moving to Washington DC in about 3wks! :unsure:

In a bit of a mess with the dreaded cargo so, pls can u read my slightly long post and help:

Had 3 companies do the survey and shock horror:
- the first guy from Express Removals was literally in and out in 10min max!
- the second guy frm Global Moving Systems (GMS) was thorough with the estimation but boy did he give me a long sales speech
- the last one frm PSS was again very thorough and to the point but his estimate was 100 cuft less than the other two!!!!

So, I disregarded the quote frm Express removals for obvious reasons and decided to focus on PSS and GMS. The guy frm GMS called me couple of days after the survey, I told him that his quote was so 100cuft higher than the one I got frm PSS, now this is where it gets interesting....his initial responsive was very defensive and then the offers rolled in:

- £1300 for 270cuft or £1700 for 350cuft
- 2 installment payment option (50% in uk and 50% after it goes through US customs and is ready for delivery)
- Insurance at 2.5%
- 2mnths free storage in UK

Now having done my research into the two companies I started preferring PSS as they had BAR, FIDI, FAIM accreditation. As expected I called PSS to see how close they can come to the very lucrative offer by GMS and frankly speaking the guy I spoke to was incredibly rigid and not that interested. Whilst he agreed to offer the same for the insurance and storage but gave a point blank no to the payment option (fair enough) and his best was £1550 for 270cuft and £2000 for 350cuft!

So, I'm really stuck now as I don't understand why GMS are so desperate and whilst I'd like to go with PSS but the price is still high and the guy i spoke (who would be my move manager) was quite abrupt and most concerning for me, he was quite unhelpful when I had some questions about US customs.

I don't have the time to start all over again with new companies, so pls pls can anyone here give me some advice on my dilemma ?