British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Removal firms (from UK to US) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/removal-firms-uk-us-118856/)

Jo Brayne Nov 24th 2002 5:40 pm

Removal firms (from UK to US)

Moving from the UK to the US..

What removal company did you use and were you pleased with it? Was the cost reasonable? I am thinking I wil,ll have to pay in the 3000-pound range probably, but I just dont know.

What do you recommend? Not all removal firms do 'international' moves as well as their own 'carrier' (a la sea barge) service.

Any other points you could pick on this topic, like insurance, collection/delivery of your goods, time delays etc. ?

Vicky88 Nov 24th 2002 6:58 pm

We used Allied Pickfords and I would say do not use them. It is 16 weeks on Monday since they collected our effects and they are still not in our house. We were promised a delivery time of 6 to 10 weeks but due to their incomptence the move has turned into a real mess. Part of it was caused by the dock worker's strike on the West Coast but our goods were only emeshed into this dispute because Pickfords "forgot" to desptach our effects from the UK.

Everyone I have dealt with has been very nice but on the efficiency level forget. I have not even had an apology from them.

Yorkieabroad Nov 25th 2002 3:21 am

Hmm - thats not good - we're using Allied Pickfords to bring our stuff from Singapore to Houston. One of their selling points was hands-on service by local offices - turns out the office handling our move is in Chicago.....I know distances mean different things in the US, but thats stretching things a little far...
We have been told that our shipment should arrive in Houston 27/28th, but that it may be delayed on the west coast - so far I have been unable to get an update although if that ETA is still good, the ship should have left the west coast by now......
fingers crossed....

Vicky88 Nov 25th 2002 4:17 am

Yep, our local office is also in Chicago. Lady I deal with is real nice but hasn't solved any of our problems.

Our ship was due in Los Angeles on 11 October but because of the strike they offloaded and put everything into storage in Panama. Then it got to Los Angeles nearly 3 weeks ago but because it had been in Panama had to undergo a contamination inspection by US which we had to pay for. Then the container was released to Pickfords a week ago last Friday yet they still couldn't deliver by the end of last week.

What really peeves me is because of their inability to get their act together we have had to buy new clothes etc. as winter has arrived because it has been so long and we have a wedding in London this weekend so hubby had to have a new suit etc.

Hoping you have better luck than we have.

Jo Brayne Nov 25th 2002 3:47 pm

removals

Do you think I will be affected by this dock workers strike? I am moving to Texas so you'd think my stuff would be taken to Port of Houston, but then again, the moving companies don't always think logically like that..

Vicky88 Nov 25th 2002 4:42 pm

Dock workers strike is over and they things are back to normal so you should be ok.

Yorkieabroad Nov 25th 2002 11:58 pm

Hmm - just got an email today saying that my contact in Chicago (John Yoon) has left the company and somebody else is taking over. Apparently our container gets in this week and should be cleared next week. But then there were some worryingly basic questions - where does it need to go, who do you work for etc etc......

Vicky88 Nov 26th 2002 12:47 am

Hmm the container getting in and getting to the door seems the complicated bit. I couldn't understand why after the container was released by US customs our effects were not delivered by the end of the week. The made it sound as if I was stupid for even expecting such a thing. After 16 weeks of waiting I can't even remember what we had. In some ways wish the damn boat had of sank so we could have just been given a cheque.

Yorkieabroad Nov 28th 2002 2:57 pm

Like you say, once its cleared customs, whats the problem? 16 weeks doesn't sound good - we closed on our house yesterday, xmas is 3 weeks away, and we have a new baby arriving 2 weeks after that - hope we get our gear before then!! (Hope you do too - good luck!)

Vicky88 Dec 2nd 2002 2:58 pm

Well the saga continues. I called today to find out what our delivery date is. Keep in mind it was 2 weeks last Friday since the container was released by customs. Was told by Allied that it has only been 2 weeks and they don't have a delivery date, but do have the damage report?? Apparently they have lost a leg of something??? Only thing it could be is a bed leg or a leg on our office desk. Hmm so they know what is there and what is not but they can't deliver. I think I will be writing a report to AP in Reading as well as lodging a complaint with the Better Business Bureau etc. as today is 17 weeks and still no delivery.

Yorkieabroad Dec 17th 2002 4:25 am

Update from our side....

Chicago told us the container was in and cleared and 'someone' would contact us for delivery that day. 3 days later still waiting. Chicago said they will definitely call tomorrow. After another no-show, Chicago finally gave me a number and I called the delivery company who claimed they hadn't been given my contact details.....Anyway, once contact was made, it all went very smoothly - they held the container a few days at our request, then arrived bang on appointment time at 0930 last Friday (13th!) and our 40-footer was unpacked, boxes and all wrapping removed and the movers gone by 1530 that day! Nothing broken and a very slick service, I have to say. So, summing up Allied Pickfords - the head office communications left a lot to be desired, but the guys at the packing/unpacking end knew their stuff and got on with it well.

Hope you're getting sorted in time for Christmas!

Vicky88 Dec 17th 2002 6:12 am

I had the same thing happen to me. Chicago kept telling me they would let me know etc. I asked for contact details for person in California and called them myself as soon as I finished speaking with Chicago. Within 10 minutes it was arranged for next day delivery. They showed up at my door bang smack on time and had it all in within a couple of hours.

So I have had mine for nearly 2 weeks now, have been busy going thru all the boxes wondering why I move so much rubbish from place to place.

Have to say I would also advise anyone to get your local contact's details and pester them yourselves.

Vicky88 Dec 17th 2002 6:13 am

Forgot to add that we had nothing lost/damaged even though Pickford's packing list showed one item was missing. It had simply been renumbered and added to the bottom. If it wasn't for the delay we endured I would say that I was 100% happy with their service.

Anyway that is all forgotten now that we have our warm clothes, duvet etc.

Jo Brayne Dec 17th 2002 10:59 am

removals

How much were you each quoted for your service? Did you check around or just accept Pickfords price and go with it?

Vicky88 Dec 17th 2002 5:46 pm

I got a couple of quotes and Pickfords were the cheapest by far. I think my move cost 1750 pounds plus insurance. When we got this end I had to pay another $44 for customs inspection then another $31 because because they had to use the elevator. Our shipment was about 1300 whatevers they measure in - we bought very little furniture with us, it was mainly personal effects.