Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

remortgage in uk to buy here or pay off the uk mortgage?

remortgage in uk to buy here or pay off the uk mortgage?

Old May 31st 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default remortgage in uk to buy here or pay off the uk mortgage?

OK one for the financial wizzes here.. I know I have sort of asked this question before but maybe this is a slightly different take on this.
I am now renting out my property in the UK which after all expenses gives me about 5K pounds/year income before income tax. I could either use that to over pay my mortgage or use it to help cover a remortgage for a higher amount and use that extra cash as a down payment here.
Risks of doing that are that if I have a vacancy then I may have to suddenly pay a US mortgage and an extra big UK mortgage.
overpaying the mortage is the safest option but then I am still having to pay rent here...
any other opinions on this?
Old May 31st 2007, 2:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: remortgage in uk to buy here or pay off the uk mortgage?

Originally Posted by angelman
OK one for the financial wizzes here.. I know I have sort of asked this question before but maybe this is a slightly different take on this.
I am now renting out my property in the UK which after all expenses gives me about 5K pounds/year income before income tax. I could either use that to over pay my mortgage or use it to help cover a remortgage for a higher amount and use that extra cash as a down payment here.
Risks of doing that are that if I have a vacancy then I may have to suddenly pay a US mortgage and an extra big UK mortgage.
overpaying the mortage is the safest option but then I am still having to pay rent here...
This obviously depends a great deal on the housing market where you would want to buy, but you might also want to ask at the Motley Fool:

www.fool.co.uk
Old May 31st 2007, 3:24 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I got a second mortgage on my flat in england, i used this to buy several rental properties over here and make a lot more than I could have done just by renting the place in the UK out - it also spreads the risk...
Old May 31st 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I got a second mortgage on my flat in england, i used this to buy several rental properties over here and make a lot more than I could have done just by renting the place in the UK out - it also spreads the risk...
YEs that is what I was thinking.. if you dont mind me asking though, does the rent on the UK place cover the mortgage there or do you have to transfer funds from the US to the UK to cover that second mortgage?
AS for Motley fool.. I do look there but like everything in the US you have to pay. The UK motley fool is free of course and I have asked similar questions but with no great success since its UK centric.. I tried on international investment forums there too but wasnt too helpful in that case.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

YEs that is what I was thinking.. if you dont mind me asking though, does the rent on the UK place cover the mortgage there or do you have to transfer funds from the US to the UK to cover that second mortgage?
AS for Motley fool.. I do look there but like everything in the US you have to pay. The UK motley fool is free of course and I have asked similar questions but with no great success since its UK centric.. I tried on international investment forums there too but wasnt too helpful in that case.
I still have income in the UK which just about covers the mortgage and other stuff. I have it listed now to sell so I can get the last few quid of equity out and buy more cashflow properties over here...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Hi

Maybe split, do half and half