Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

REMINDER! UK Mother's Day this Sunday 18 March

REMINDER! UK Mother's Day this Sunday 18 March

Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation REMINDER! UK Mother's Day this Sunday 18 March

Just in case some of you have forgotten, just a reminder to let you know that it's Mother's Day this weekend!

It's probably too late to post a (blank) greetings card, but there are e-cards which you can send; perhaps someone has some good links?

You can also go to the UK websites to order things like flowers, chocs etc. but time is running out!

For flowers it's probably best just to go to the UK Yellow Pages and find a local florist near your mum's house and phone your order through; the one near my mum's delivers free of charge, the flowers are lovely and much cheaper than Interflora (so she gets a bigger bouquet!):

http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do

Going off-topic I'm going to rant:

I'll hopefully be seeing my mum for Mother's Day this Sunday (the first time I'll have seen her on Mother's Day in 12 years); she's getting the National Express bus to meet me in London and my student daughter will join us too. I'll get my mum some perfume from the crappy duty free shop at Newark airport or maybe on the plane.

I'm really, really annoyed with one of my sisters (the other one has just flown to Oz with her family for a month). She's got the hump as she wanted to see my mum on Mother's Day (she sees her all the time, only lives a mile away) but it's too much bloody bother for her to drive my mum 90 miles down the M1 or M40 to London, and it would or could be a nice day out for her and 5 year old son. She says she doesn't like driving on motorways (yet drives on the M6 to and from work for a couple of junctions daily, and she used to ride a motorbike.) Her husband won't drive down either as he likes to stick to his routine of watching the football, having lunch and going down the pub. My brother is the same as well, not even worth asking him.

I'm sick of the expectation from my siblings that I'm going to hire a car every time I fly into LHR and go to see them, yet it's too much bother for them to put themselves out to come and see me for a few hours. Grrrrr :curse:
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REMINDER! UK Mother's Day this Sunday 18 March

Thank you for the reminder. Flowers arranged yesterday by hubby of all people, he must have had a knock to the head as it's usually my department!

I've decided to have two mothers days myself seeing as I have a Scottish son and number 2 will be an American. Only kidding but a friend did suggest it.

If it makes you feel any better about your siblings my sister is an utter sh*t head and it was all too much effort for her when I was home in January to come five minutes round the corner to my mothers from her house to spend any time with me or her nephew. Hubby insists it's a jealousy thing, but just because we moved to a new country doesn't mean the grass is greener.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy spending mothers day with your mum, I'm jealous as my mums MSN is down for some reason so I'll only get to talk to her on the phone on Sunday!

Have fun.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Yes, a timely reminder - thanks

I've just ordered plant arrangements from John Lewis to be delivered to mum and MIL on Saturday (they don't do Sundays), so saved at the 11th hour!

I'm being taken out to brunch by my family on Sunday. We're all Brits, but it's nice to celebrate the British Mother's Day instead of the American date in May when the restaurants are teeming with people......

I sympathize on the sibling front - we're always expected to go the extra mile as the ones living away

Enjoy your time in London, EM/
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:45 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Card sent out last week (we buy an extra couple each year at US Mothers Day time). Dad called to remind me and sounded quite shocked that I'd actually remembered
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

oh no!! I have forgotten every year since living here! Thanks for the reminder though - I can get some flowers ordered. My sister usually emails me the day after Mothers Day to complain about what a bad daughter I am for forgetting.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
oh no!! I have forgotten every year since living here! Thanks for the reminder though - I can get some flowers ordered. My sister usually emails me the day after Mothers Day to complain about what a bad daughter I am for forgetting.
Good god! I'd forgotten how expensive flowers are over there!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danfan
Good god! I'd forgotten how expensive flowers are over there!
I had no choice but to use Interflora & found a £10 off voucher code. If anyone orders through them, use the code affchoc or affwine to get the money off.

Englishmum, my sisters make no effort either. They say since I am the one that moved away, I should be the one to make all the effort.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

danfan - wished I had have known about those codes. I ordered flowers for me mum yesterday and had them delivered today. She did get them
I must remember when Mother's Day comes around here to buy a few extra cards and keep them for next year.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by choppi
danfan - wished I had have known about those codes. I ordered flowers for me mum yesterday and had them delivered today. She did get them
I must remember when Mother's Day comes around here to buy a few extra cards and keep them for next year.
Whenever I buy anything online, I always google for vouchers. Saved myself loads of money doing that.

Must call & see if mum got mine yet.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

its wierd isnt it, before my mom passed away I always used to forget it, now she is no longer around I always remember!! So mom happy mothers day to u too, i love u millions and miss u more. xx
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

its wierd isnt it, before my mom passed away I always used to forget it, now she is no longer around I always remember!! So mom happy mothers day to u too, i love u millions and miss u more. xx
This is the first Mothers Days since my mum died last year. I'm feeling a bit weird.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

I think today is a day to get the photos out.