Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A reminder for Ohio residents

A reminder for Ohio residents

Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default A reminder for Ohio residents

The ones with Ohio driver's licenses, anyway. In case you don't know, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles randomly selects a number of drivers every year and sends a letter to the registered address. The driver is required to respond to the letter within 21 days with proof of insurance coverage. If they don't get the response, the driver's license will be revoked. My wife got one of these letters last year; I got one today. I'll be making a copy of my insurance card tomorrow and sending it off Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested.

Of note: they send these letters regular mail. If you don't receive it, too bad for you. (Sound familiar?) It is a HUGE PAIN to get your license reinstated if you don't respond.

I don't know how many other states do something like this, but I thought I should remind my mates in Ohio about it.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A reminder for Ohio residents

Ouch, that's a pain.

Here in Mass the DMV are notified by the insurance automatically, they also notify them when you cancel it. If you've got a registered car and it's not insured, automatically voids your license, it's a good money earner because they then sting you for driving without a license if you get caught doing anything so it's a double whammy fine and more money/hassle paying to get a fresh new license

Oh, and once you've registered the car, if you don't renew it before it's up, that also voids your license, unless you've moved state in which case you've got to fill in a form and send that in with your plates to the main DMV office somewhere and you get a receipt which you can then use to reclaim any full months of excise tax you've paid to your town.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The ones with Ohio driver's licenses, anyway. In case you don't know, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles randomly selects a number of drivers every year and sends a letter to the registered address. The driver is required to respond to the letter within 21 days with proof of insurance coverage. If they don't get the response, the driver's license will be revoked. My wife got one of these letters last year; I got one today. I'll be making a copy of my insurance card tomorrow and sending it off Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested.

Of note: they send these letters regular mail. If you don't receive it, too bad for you. (Sound familiar?) It is a HUGE PAIN to get your license reinstated if you don't respond.

I don't know how many other states do something like this, but I thought I should remind my mates in Ohio about it.
I had to do that about 2 years ago. It is a pain.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a procedural due process argument in this somewhere.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There must be a procedural due process argument in this somewhere.
They started doing it about 10 years ago, so if anybody's gone down that route they haven't been successful. Every so often there's a feature on the news about the people who don't get the letters and have their licenses suspended. The BMV response is "too bad".
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

They started doing it about 10 years ago, so if anybody's gone down that route they haven't been successful. Every so often there's a feature on the news about the people who don't get the letters and have their licenses suspended. The BMV response is "too bad".
Sounds like a nice little earner for them. Bad thing is I may well be moving to OH soon Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Brit3964; Feb 27th 2009 at 3:08 am.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And in true government style, what happens when you send it and they don't receive it? The won't accept "too bad." Bunch of shysters.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:20 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if you have a license but don't own a car? They just assume you don't need it anymore? I would imagine there are some people out their who only drive occasionally so use rentals.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
And in true government style, what happens when you send it and they don't receive it? The won't accept "too bad." Bunch of shysters.
That's why I'll be using Certified Mail, Return Receipt, and keeping copies of everything.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
What happens if you have a license but don't own a car? They just assume you don't need it anymore? I would imagine there are some people out their who only drive occasionally so use rentals.
Good question... the letter specifically refers to my car by license # and VIN. So maybe drivers who don't have a car registered aren't picked in this lottery.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

In California, when you renew your annual vehicle registration, you must show/send in proof of insurance. California does not make you show proof of insurance if you are a licensed driver. Which is a good thing because you don't have to own a car to be able to drive one. When you rent a car, you can purchase insurance, or if you drive for your company, they are obligated to provide insurance for their vehicle.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

In AZ it seems they don't care, if your car moves and has tags it is good unless it can go fast enough to set off a camera.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:26 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Good question... the letter specifically refers to my car by license # and VIN. So maybe drivers who don't have a car registered aren't picked in this lottery.
well as our cars are registered in Ohio in my husbands name he can update his driving licence address online (needs to go into office for a new card if he wants that updated). As I have no cars registed in my name I cant do it online and have to go into the office - so they definatly treat non owners differently.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

This just reminded me, I sent off my renewal by mail for the new registration for my car - I did this on Jan 14th but haven't heard back yet. Is this unusual? I just checked my bank account and they actually cashed the cheque on Jan 15th - so they have my money!

I tried to do it online but it said my SSN was wrong..... (not sure I want to know what that's about)
Old Feb 28th 2009, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
In California, when you renew your annual vehicle registration, you must show/send in proof of insurance. California does not make you show proof of insurance if you are a licensed driver. Which is a good thing because you don't have to own a car to be able to drive one. When you rent a car, you can purchase insurance, or if you drive for your company, they are obligated to provide insurance for their vehicle.
For me, my insurance company has been notifying the DMV for the past several years. I no longer have to send in the proof of insurance card anymore when I register my car in California.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.