Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Remaining in the UK - but negotiating salary with USA

Remaining in the UK - but negotiating salary with USA

Old Jun 7th 2014, 9:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remaining in the UK - but negotiating salary with USA

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh, I agree, but £50k is a very low base salary for London, particularly as the OP says he lives in central London so could struggle to maintain that lifestyle.

PA's do get good bonuses too btw.
Mrs P was a PA at a well known firm of consultants when we lived in London.

Far from £50k being low, in my direct experience £50k is quite high. Sales and executive staff at several of my employers in London in the 1990's paid base £20k, plus each month an "advance" against their year end bonus (obviously £20k pa wasn't enough to live on even back then). At the year end they received their bonus net of the advances already paid. I know this to be true because I was authorised to review the payrolls. ..... If the declared year-end bonus wasn't enough to cover the advances, you know what the result was, don't you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 7th 2014 at 10:23 am.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mrs P was a PA at a well known firm of consultants when we lived in London.

Far from £50k being low, in my direct experience £50k is quite high. Sales and executive staff at several of my employers in London in the 1990's paid base £20k, plus each month an "advance" against their year end bonus (obviously £20k pa wasn't enough to live on even back then).
That was the 1990s though, you may be surprised to know that things have changed in the past 20 years or so.

A good PA/EA can earn £100k or more in London these days particularly in the private rather than corporate world, £50k or so isn't considered high and is more legal secretary level than top PA.

I've been a PA for 20 years and my salary now is 5 times what I started on, although that's probably due more to my experience/seniority than just the rise in the market.

Old Jun 8th 2014, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That was the 1990s though, you may be surprised to know that things have changed in the past 20 years or so.

A good PA/EA can earn £100k or more in London these days particularly in the private rather than corporate world, £50k or so isn't considered high and is more legal secretary level than top PA.

I've been a PA for 20 years and my salary now is 5 times what I started on, although that's probably due more to my experience/seniority than just the rise in the market. ...
No, that doesn't surprise me at all, .... but it has nothing do with high bonus/ high commission sales jobs with a remarkably low base salary, of which you seem to completely unaware.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, that doesn't surprise me at all, .... but it has nothing do with high bonus/ high commission sales jobs with a remarkably low base salary, of which you seem to completely unaware.
Because it's not the norm in London.......which was kind of my point.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:59 pm

Because it's not the norm in London.......which was kind of my point.
But it IS the norm for SOME businesses in London. It was at several well known businesses that I worked for, and I have no doubt that most if not all other completing businesses in the same.sector, covering many thousands of people, are on the same sort of compensation package: low base salary plus monthly advance on bonus plus y/e "totting up".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2014 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

But it IS the norm for SOME businesses in London. It was at several well known businesses that I worked for, and I have no doubt that most if not all other completing businesses in the same.sector, covering many thousands of people, are on the same sort of compensation package: low base salary plus monthly advance on bonus plus y/e "totting up".
'Many thousands of people', in a work force of millions in London = exactly, it's not the norm!

My opinion still stands, that £50k isn't a good enough salary by London standards for an executive/manager like the OP, regardless of bonus structure. He says he lives in Central London, so a higher base salary would be needed to fund that.

Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

I would say £100k for a PA is high, even in London, I'm sure there are quite a few PAs who earn that type of money, but I would suspect the majority of PAs are on far less, hitting somewhere between £25-40k.

As for the OP's scenario, I think we also need to know whether the US company wants to set up in London. If the company wants to set up in London, then it will need to pay a London premium, if the US company doesn't want to set up in London, but the OP happens to live there, the dynamic is a little different.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by srefre
I would say £100k for a PA is high, even in London, I'm sure there are quite a few PAs who earn that type of money, but I would suspect the majority of PAs are on far less, hitting somewhere between £25-40k.
£25k, they're probably administrators, £40k, they're probably secretaries. I've done all three jobs, and there's a big difference in pay scale between them, particularly in London.

Originally Posted by srefre
As for the OP's scenario, I think we also need to know whether the US company wants to set up in London. If the company wants to set up in London, then it will need to pay a London premium, if the US company doesn't want to set up in London, but the OP happens to live there, the dynamic is a little different.
Very true.