Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation wish list

Relocation wish list

Old Apr 17th 2017, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relocation wish list

Hello,

My husbands employer is due to discuss a relocation package with us for a move to Philadelphia. The plan is for us to be going with an L1 visa, hopefully in September to coincide with the school timetable. We anticipate 3 years.
So we're wondering what might be considered fair and reasonable in a relocation package for a family of 4, our children are 13 and 11, and two dogs.

Thank you for your help.😊
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation wish list

How long is a piece of string? Might be useful to start with giving more information regarding current lifestyle/salary and/or career. Others who moved on L1 visas can likely chime in on what 'items' the package should cover, but it's hard to give monetary quantities on so little info.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Hello,

My husbands employer is due to discuss a relocation package with us for a move to Philadelphia. The plan is for us to be going with an L1 visa, hopefully in September to coincide with the school timetable. We anticipate 3 years.
So we're wondering what might be considered fair and reasonable in a relocation package for a family of 4, our children are 13 and 11, and two dogs.

Thank you for your help.😊
Sounds exciting, we are hoping to move shortly on the same visa to NJ over the summer with hubs work.
Some of the things to consider requesting are,
Temp accommodation for agreed period.
Relocation assistance (helpful in selecting areas to live and setting up banks etc).
Rent paid (that would depend slightly on whether you requested move or them) but surprisingly standard offering.
Tax advise and completing at least first years return.
Move costs both on way out and when you return.
Potentially a small lump sum to help with set up costs.
Annual return flights.
Depends on what the schools are like in your area, you may wish to ask about private education if not great or it is necessary for your kids to stay in the UK system due their ages.
Someone on here advised me to speak about them paying for a green card in case you wish to settle there.
Obviously you will need to ask what the salary will be, a direct exchange in dollars is unlikely to go as far in the US.
I am sure there are other things but l hope that helps.
Exciting times for you!
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming you've already read this, but just in case..........Company Relocation Packages US : British Expat Wiki
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm assuming you've already read this, but just in case..........Company Relocation Packages US : British Expat Wiki
I hadn't but that is really useful, thank you. 😄