Reload this Page >

Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Robgdunn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Hello

Has anyone any experience re claiming child benefit (or not) once you have left the UK - I am a UK citizen and so is my son and we as a family will be earning below the UK Gov threshold whilst here (for +52 weeks) ?

HM Gov Website is in- conclusive.. as says neither yes nor no..
Going abroad permanently You must tell us straightaway if you, your child, children, or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that’s likely to last more than 52 weeks from when you leave.

Thanks

Robert
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Originally Posted by Robgdunn
Hello

Has anyone any experience re claiming child benefit (or not) once you have left the UK - I am a UK citizen and so is my son and we as a family will be earning below the UK Gov threshold whilst here (for +52 weeks) ?

Going abroad permanently You must tell us straightaway if you, your child, children, or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that’s likely to last more than 52 weeks from when you leave.

Thanks

Robert
You are not entitled to claim...if you do so they will most likely ask for it to be returned. CB was paid into our bank account despite telling them Several times we had moved. Several years later we received a letter asking for it to be returned in full. Fortunately we had not withdrawn the money from our UK bank.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Robert
If you're moving permanently then no, you can't continue to claim it unless you meet one of these circumstances - https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-abroad

HTH.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Hello - thanks for replies and confirmation - this was what I anticipated but wanted to make sure.

As we have just arrived we will cancel so not be in debit to CB.

Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me why anyone would think their UK benefits would continue when living in a foreign county. There is only one benefit that you can receive, and that's the State Pension, and that's only because you paid into the system before moving. If you haven't, you won't get that either.

I would think that the receipt of CB would be weighed as a reason to move countries or not, along with everything else.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 12:20 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It never ceases to amaze me why anyone would think their UK benefits would continue when living in a foreign county. There is only one benefit that you can receive, and that's the State Pension, and that's only because you paid into the system before moving. If you haven't, you won't get that either.

I would think that the receipt of CB would be weighed as a reason to move countries or not, along with everything else.
you might want to update that to “before moving and/or continue to make class 2 contributions” but your underlying point stands.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hello - (civil servant) - interestingly it never ceases to amaze me when people pass judgement when also offering advice.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, this is not the first time this has come up.

Also, you don't get to determine how someone answers you post on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

“before moving and/or continue to make class 2 contributions”
Quite right. I forgot about the class 2s.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... Quite right. I forgot about the class 2s.
You were partially correct - until you have paid NICs for at least three years while working in the UK you cannot pay Class 2 or Class 3 contributions as a non-resident.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Hello Civil Servant,

Yes you are correct I dont get to determine how someone answers posted on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

However Most people will use this forum the reasons as intended and not as a vent for satisfying another agenda.

Maybe you should try yogo or gardening before viewing content as I hear it helps.....

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change which is unfortunate for what I imagine is a vast majority of members.

To everyone else (the majority) thank you for all the help advice and support that this forum has provided.

Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:55 pm
Often not so civil...

However Most people will use this forum the reasons as intended and not as a vent for satisfying another agenda.
I don't believe I have another agenda. This was not, after all, an immigration question.

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change
Right on.

10 years of being on this board, so you're probably right.

Anyway, you have your answer.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Civil Servant,

Yes you are correct I dont get to determine how someone answers posted on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

Maybe you should try yogo or gardening before viewing content as I hear it helps.....

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change which is unfortunate for what I imagine is a vast majority of members.

To everyone else (the majority) thank you for all the help advice and support that this forum has provided.
I am sympathetic to your point of view, as I am to CS's. ..... People who come here to BE benefit from a wealth of knowledge and experience of the long term members, and when we see some questions that we have seen a hundred times before, it can be very hard to rein-in the temptation to post a "WTF are you thinking?" comment. I certainly struggle with that myself, and while I mostly succeed sometimes a subtle, or not so subtle, barb makes its way into my posts.

That said you should be thankful your post didn't attract the attention of our resident grouchy, grumpy, grinch who's posts tend not to pull any punches, and are often not even sweetened with any particularly useful information.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^

If that was aimed at me, it's incredibly insensitive and inaccurate.

However, you'll be pleased to know that I won't be offering any information, sweetened or not, useful or not, thanks to the ignorance of certain people on this forum.

Goodbye.

Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
^^^^^^

If that was aimed at me, it's incredibly insensitive and inaccurate.

However, you'll be pleased to know that I won't be offering any information, sweetened or not, useful or not, thanks to the ignorance of certain people on this forum.

Goodbye.

Ohhhhh,,,, you're not leaving us permanently are you? Many of your quirky answers have brought a smile to my face.......
Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh geez.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.