British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relocation-usa-uk-child-benefit-934144/)

Robgdunn Aug 3rd 2020 4:19 pm

Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Hello

Has anyone any experience re claiming child benefit (or not) once you have left the UK - I am a UK citizen and so is my son and we as a family will be earning below the UK Gov threshold whilst here (for +52 weeks) ?

HM Gov Website is in- conclusive.. as says neither yes nor no..
Going abroad permanently You must tell us straightaway if you, your child, children, or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that’s likely to last more than 52 weeks from when you leave.

Thanks

Robert

Jerseygirl Aug 3rd 2020 4:32 pm

Re: Relocation to USA / UK Child Benefit

Originally Posted by Robgdunn (Post 12891736)
Hello

Has anyone any experience re claiming child benefit (or not) once you have left the UK - I am a UK citizen and so is my son and we as a family will be earning below the UK Gov threshold whilst here (for +52 weeks) ?

Going abroad permanently You must tell us straightaway if you, your child, children, or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that’s likely to last more than 52 weeks from when you leave.

Thanks

Robert

You are not entitled to claim...if you do so they will most likely ask for it to be returned. CB was paid into our bank account despite telling them Several times we had moved. Several years later we received a letter asking for it to be returned in full. Fortunately we had not withdrawn the money from our UK bank.

christmasoompa Aug 3rd 2020 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Robgdunn (Post 12891736)
Hello

Thanks

Robert

If you're moving permanently then no, you can't continue to claim it unless you meet one of these circumstances - https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-abroad

HTH.

Robgdunn Aug 3rd 2020 4:43 pm

Hello - thanks for replies and confirmation - this was what I anticipated but wanted to make sure.

As we have just arrived we will cancel so not be in debit to CB.

civilservant Aug 4th 2020 10:47 am

It never ceases to amaze me why anyone would think their UK benefits would continue when living in a foreign county. There is only one benefit that you can receive, and that's the State Pension, and that's only because you paid into the system before moving. If you haven't, you won't get that either.

I would think that the receipt of CB would be weighed as a reason to move countries or not, along with everything else.

tht Aug 4th 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12892158)
It never ceases to amaze me why anyone would think their UK benefits would continue when living in a foreign county. There is only one benefit that you can receive, and that's the State Pension, and that's only because you paid into the system before moving. If you haven't, you won't get that either.

I would think that the receipt of CB would be weighed as a reason to move countries or not, along with everything else.

you might want to update that to “before moving and/or continue to make class 2 contributions” but your underlying point stands.

Robgdunn Aug 4th 2020 12:37 pm

Hello - (civil servant) - interestingly it never ceases to amaze me when people pass judgement when also offering advice.

civilservant Aug 4th 2020 1:00 pm

Trust me, this is not the first time this has come up.

Also, you don't get to determine how someone answers you post on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

“before moving and/or continue to make class 2 contributions”
Quite right. I forgot about the class 2s.

Pulaski Aug 4th 2020 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12892217)
.... Quite right. I forgot about the class 2s.

You were partially correct - until you have paid NICs for at least three years while working in the UK you cannot pay Class 2 or Class 3 contributions as a non-resident.

Robgdunn Aug 4th 2020 1:36 pm

Hello Civil Servant,

Yes you are correct I dont get to determine how someone answers posted on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

However Most people will use this forum the reasons as intended and not as a vent for satisfying another agenda.

Maybe you should try yogo or gardening before viewing content as I hear it helps.....

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change which is unfortunate for what I imagine is a vast majority of members.

To everyone else (the majority) thank you for all the help advice and support that this forum has provided.

civilservant Aug 4th 2020 1:55 pm

However Most people will use this forum the reasons as intended and not as a vent for satisfying another agenda.
I don't believe I have another agenda. This was not, after all, an immigration question.

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change
Right on.

10 years of being on this board, so you're probably right.

Anyway, you have your answer.

Pulaski Aug 4th 2020 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Robgdunn (Post 12892240)
Hello Civil Servant,

Yes you are correct I dont get to determine how someone answers posted on an open forum. 'Free speech' and all that.

Maybe you should try yogo or gardening before viewing content as I hear it helps.....

As you seem proud of your reputation to provide un-necessary and un-helpful opinions i dont for one minute think your style will change which is unfortunate for what I imagine is a vast majority of members.

To everyone else (the majority) thank you for all the help advice and support that this forum has provided.

I am sympathetic to your point of view, as I am to CS's. ..... People who come here to BE benefit from a wealth of knowledge and experience of the long term members, and when we see some questions that we have seen a hundred times before, it can be very hard to rein-in the temptation to post a "WTF are you thinking?" comment. I certainly struggle with that myself, and while I mostly succeed sometimes a subtle, or not so subtle, barb makes its way into my posts. :o

That said you should be thankful your post didn't attract the attention of our resident grouchy, grumpy, grinch who's posts tend not to pull any punches, and are often not even sweetened with any particularly useful information. :(

Guindalf Aug 4th 2020 3:33 pm

^^^^^^

If that was aimed at me, it's incredibly insensitive and inaccurate.

However, you'll be pleased to know that I won't be offering any information, sweetened or not, useful or not, thanks to the ignorance of certain people on this forum.

Goodbye.

SanDiegogirl Aug 4th 2020 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12892302)
^^^^^^

If that was aimed at me, it's incredibly insensitive and inaccurate.

However, you'll be pleased to know that I won't be offering any information, sweetened or not, useful or not, thanks to the ignorance of certain people on this forum.

Goodbye.

Ohhhhh,,,, you're not leaving us permanently are you? Many of your quirky answers have brought a smile to my face.......

tom169 Aug 4th 2020 10:23 pm

Oh geez. :blink: