Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation - UK to Connecticut (Fairfield County)

Relocation - UK to Connecticut (Fairfield County)

Old Apr 5th 2018, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

tcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation - UK to Connecticut (Fairfield County)

I have to say WOW. For 6 months two of us were living on a wage of $20,000.
It wasnt easy but we made the best of it by going to happy hours at restaurants, early showing at cinemas etc.
We live North East Connecticut where it is a 12 mile drive to anywhere.

There are ways and means of doing everything and more modest people would live like kings and queens on a salary of 300K!

Also a quick hello to other Brit CT residents!
Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:52 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tcc1979
It wasnt easy but we made the best of it by going to happy hours at restaurants, early showing at cinemas etc.

There are ways and means of doing everything and more modest people would live like kings and queens on a salary of 300K!

Hi there, tcc1979! You were living on love as newlyweds, but the OP understandably doesn’t want to uproot the family for a lesser lifestyle than they enjoyed in the UK, there would be no point.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Kevthered is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tcc1979

Was that back in 1979
Hello to you as well.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Kevthered!

I'm in Greenwich CT and love it here. We rent a 3 bedroom condo for $4300 and that includes trash, snow etc. Downtown Greenwich is so walkable we only need one car. Daycare (Early Childhood Education center as they prefer to be called) costs us $1743 for a 2 year old; it's cheaper for 3 and up. There are express trains to the city (monthly ticket is $301) and the town has a great international feel. Beach access in the summer. We're looking to buy and put down roots.

You could also look at Westchester. Scarsdale/Bronxville etc have super easy commutes into the city with excellent schooling. Check out trulia.com for rentals. There's a premium for being walking distance to the train, but I like it that way!

Edited - I also wanted to say that quality of life here is excellent. You're moving here on a great salary (more than ours combined). Healthcare is incredibly good and there's a huge, wonderful country for you to explore.

Last edited by jaffy23; Apr 6th 2018 at 1:56 pm. Reason: Feel good ending