Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Tax / Toll Charges across USA

Relocation Tax / Toll Charges across USA

Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:03 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Default Relocation Tax / Toll Charges across USA

We are filling in our Tax form (hell) and drove across the US from Philly PA to San Francisco CA in our Grand Caravan - we came the scenic route (4000+ miles) and need to claim mileage for the basic route plus toll charges - anyone have a very rough idea of the basic route toll charges would be? We need this for our tax form, also any other tips about claiming would be very much appreciated? Thanks muchly..Joyce
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Tax / Toll Charges across USA

Was the trip for business? I'm not really tax savvy, but I am under the impression that you can only claim for travel expenses, if they are for your business?
We have a house that we rent out, we could claim travel expenses for that on our taxes, but only if we were to acually go to the house to do repairs, change tenants etc. We would of course have to have proof (receipts) of that travel.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never driven it. But using mapquest I found the following.

I-76 west for 351 Miles with portions toll.

Take I-80 W toward CLEVELAND (Portions toll) (Crossing into INDIANA).

Merge onto I-80 W via EXIT 21 toward IN-51 S (Portions toll) (Crossing into ILLINOIS).

Take I-80 W (Portions toll) (Passing through IOWA, NEBRASKA, and WYOMING, then crossing into UTAH

Merge onto I-80 W via EXIT 308 toward RENO/ S.L. INT'L AIRPORT (Portions toll) (Passing through NEVADA, then crossing into CALIFORNIA).

Its also possible however to drive that route and pay no tolls at all and not going much out of your way, less then 200 miles according to mapquest.

Best bet is to look up the states these interstates run through and see which states have tolls and which dont.

Gonna be a little hard possibly to get the exact amount and number of tolls without actually driving the route.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 16th 2009 at 5:48 am.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Was the trip for business? I'm not really tax savvy, but I am under the impression that you can only claim for travel expenses, if they are for your business?
We have a house that we rent out, we could claim travel expenses for that on our taxes, but only if we were to acually go to the house to do repairs, change tenants etc. We would of course have to have proof (receipts) of that travel.
I think you can claim relocation expenses if you are moving to a new job that is > 30 or 50 miles from your old one. Not sure if that is the case here or not.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:44 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies, I don't think the Toll total would be a significant amount and my OH reminded that most Toll charges are in the East.

Yes, this is a job re-location, thanks again

Joyce
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If they were reimbursed by the company you cannot use them as a write-off on your taxes. If you know the route you took go state by state and comply a list of tolls you paid. Why didn't you get a receipt for these tolls. Receipts are available at all toll plazas when paying in cash.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Thanks for the replies, I don't think the Toll total would be a significant amount and my OH reminded that most Toll charges are in the East.
They add up though, costs us just over $12 round trip to get from here to middle of Maine these days, that's only a 500 odd mile trip. Hitting the pike through Mass can be expensive too and going through tunnels can add a good chunk of change.

Should collect the receipts though as you'd need those to claim expenses.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if you can swing the deduction for mileage, fuel, hotels etc for the cross country trip you will be doing good without the tolls which are probably negligible.

But.. if someone has a copy of MS streets and trips I think it calculates fuel and tolls for a given trip.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:07 am
joycey

Thanks all, some good advice received and very much appreciated. We actually drove about 4500 miles in all as we made it into a vacation road trip. However we will only be claiming the standard mileage from East to West (over 3000 miles). We didn't receive any relocation allowance as it was a company transfer by choice. As we used alot of B roads, I'm not sure we paid that much in toll fees - we just can't remember, but we aim to make our claim an accurate as possible without putting in for anything we or not entitled to.

Also, my husband has started to do alot of remote working and has taken over our spare bedroom (ex-playroom), does anyone have any advice on tax relief for doing that? He uses our land line phone and internet connection nearly all day to deliver virtual training, plus all the other expenses..anyones personal experience of that would be useful.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:47 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

"home office deduction" is a key phrase you might find useful for searching. Everyone I know seems to do it...none of them have home offices. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets slammed.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
"home office deduction" is a key phrase you might find useful for searching. Everyone I know seems to do it...none of them have home offices. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets slammed.
And, well in my biz, if you spend over $2K on games and hardware you can claim the taxes...now that's a lot of games, but it's pretty doable for a lot of folk
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
We are filling in our Tax form (hell) and drove across the US from Philly PA to San Francisco CA in our Grand Caravan - we came the scenic route (4000+ miles) and need to claim mileage for the basic route plus toll charges - anyone have a very rough idea of the basic route toll charges would be? We need this for our tax form, also any other tips about claiming would be very much appreciated? Thanks muchly..Joyce
I claim my mileage through my company as I am an independent contractor and you will need to get the federal milage go to the link below to get the exact amount at the time you travelled as it changed in the middle of the year.......this may not apply to you if the mileage amount was already agreed upon prior to your move.

Go to standard mileage further down the page.

I drove from the midwest to SF and I seem to only remember 1 toll road, and its $4.00 a pop

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/tollpage.htm

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ix01.html

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 18th 2009 at 11:04 pm. Reason: Found another link!