Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation to San Jose - House Husband needs advice!

Relocation to San Jose - House Husband needs advice!

Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to San Jose - House Husband needs advice!

OH works pretty long hours. He needs to liaise with people in Europe and Asia so it is not at all unusual for him to be on conference calls at 6am, work a full day and then be on more conference calls at 10pm.
Am I married to you ? :-) You've just described my day to a "T"

The positive side is that on the rare occasions when he is not so busy he can take time back without claiming it as holiday.
Bloo*y H*ll - we must be married ! What's for dinner ?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:11 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dlake02

Just proves my point that it's not unusual!!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Just proves my point that it's not unusual!!
At Cubs the other evening, we were sat next to one of our two good friends mums (I HATE "mom"). She got a phone call from her husband during the opening flag ceremony (that's about 7pm) who was supposed to have been there, but was still in the office.

Could she drive him up to SFO tomorrow as he had to fly out to Singapore for a few days. Apparently, that is pretty typical. I'm not that bad; yet.

It's not unusual. Forward-planning is not a strong point here - meetings/travel/conference calls arranged very much at the last minute.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Tremor of some sort every day, but very, very minor. All the times the small ones happen, it's releasing stress in the faults.... At least, that's what everyone keeps saying !
Sure there are tremors all the time, as you can see on this USGS map but ones that you can actually feel are pretty infrequent in the Bay Area - perhaps none, one or two in any given year.

(by the way I was here for the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake so I don't pay much attention to anything that is less than 5 on the Richter scale)
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

50 hours a week would be a light week. Even if you do 50 hours a week bum on seat at the office you can guarantee that when at home you will spend hours answering emails and text messages late into the night and all weekend. One of DH's colleagues clocked 92 hours last week and that would not be considered an exception. People are so eager to get ahead they will do whatever they think they need to do to get that step up.

Socially it has been a disaster here. We have been here 3 years, thinking of leaving next month. Many of DHs colleagues are way younger (we are 40s) they are in their 20s/30s. Of the people we have met and become friends with they all bemoan the fact of what a social wasteland it is here. Lack of decent restaurants/bars and those that are half alright cost an arm and a leg. Add in the cost of living, high taxes, long work hours, it's not really conducive to a well balanced life.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
50 hours a week would be a light week. Even if you do 50 hours a week bum on seat at the office you can guarantee that when at home you will spend hours answering emails and text messages late into the night and all weekend. One of DH's colleagues clocked 92 hours last week and that would not be considered an exception. People are so eager to get ahead they will do whatever they think they need to do to get that step up.

Socially it has been a disaster here. We have been here 3 years, thinking of leaving next month. Many of DHs colleagues are way younger (we are 40s) they are in their 20s/30s. Of the people we have met and become friends with they all bemoan the fact of what a social wasteland it is here. Lack of decent restaurants/bars and those that are half alright cost an arm and a leg. Add in the cost of living, high taxes, long work hours, it's not really conducive to a well balanced life.
We stayed up all night last weekend as daughter was unwell, I was amazed my husband's blackberry still kept buzzing every so often right through the night. He never really gets free time in that sense.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing, many of DHs colleagues are sending emails at 3 a.m. as they are still in the office. It almost seems as if there is some honour in being the last out the door and lets face it, if you are prepared to give willingly these companies are going to take your time.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nimco
Sorry few more qs - On another note how often do u get earthquake tremors? Does anyone worry about that?
What are typical working hours ? Various ref to 'long' hours but what does that look like? 10 hour days 12? More?!
finally - Do u get much social life thru work or do people keep themselves to themselves? What are the best sources of finding and making proper friends not just acquaintances ? Thanks!
My husband works in the tech industry and works about 9 hour days (and he works longer hours than most in his team). He does check email etc outside of work but it's not expected that he be on call to answer them. We've met lots of great people through his work - there's people who have also moved from the U.K, Italy, other parts of the U.S so it's good to have people in a similar situation also looking to make friends, plus regular people he works with. I've found people to be very welcoming and friendly - I've already made more friends here in less than a year than I made in 6 years in London.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

It's different for everyone. Hours can be long at times but also reasonable for a lot of the time. Also (if it suits you) you'll probably be able to come in a bit later (e.g. 10am) and leave later (6.30pm), or shift the other way if it's better. Depending on your position of course.

We had no trouble making friends here when we were younger, but it's more difficult now, but I think that's not much different from how it would be in England. There's always the culture gap, but I think more than anywhere in the US you're going to meet a very diverse crowd here, and there's likely to be some people you click well with.

I feel maybe three or four quakes a year, and by "feel" I mean the "was that an earthquake?" and you usually have to look it up to be sure it wasn't just a noisy truck or something! We've had about four obvious (and mildly exciting) ones in the last 12 years.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Well, we must be in a California style relationship because I think I'm married to both of you too. Describes our daily life perfectly.

I called husband on Tuesday from Labour and Delivery since I went into early labour with our twins. He said "can it wait, I'm in a meeting and have an office full of people?" WTF???

Work expects a lot from him but also gives much leeway since he's pretty much working 24 hours a day every week.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:44 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackattack
Well, we must be in a California style relationship because I think I'm married to both of you too. Describes our daily life perfectly.

I called husband on Tuesday from Labour and Delivery since I went into early labour with our twins. He said "can it wait, I'm in a meeting and have an office full of people?" WTF???

Work expects a lot from him but also gives much leeway since he's pretty much working 24 hours a day every week.
I hope your husband managed to tear himself away from the meeting to get to the hospital!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pombat
I hope your husband managed to tear himself away from the meeting to get to the hospital!
Thanks for the thoughts. And I realize that my above post did make my DH sound a bit like a DuH, but actually he's pretty cool. I'm a very low maintenance mummy, so when he asked "do you need me to come to you?" and I responded "yes!", he knew something important was up.

Twins arrived safely, and hubbie was in fact present by that time (even after spending 30 minutes in the prep room on the phone with China). we're now at home trying to discover who has a twin manual.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:50 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thoughts. And I realize that my above post did make my DH sound a bit like a DuH, but actually he's pretty cool. I'm a very low maintenance mummy, so when he asked "do you need me to come to you?" and I responded "yes!", he knew something important was up.

Twins arrived safely, and hubbie was in fact present by that time (even after spending 30 minutes in the prep room on the phone with China). we're now at home trying to discover who has a twin manual.
Congrats on the twins
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:59 pm
Back home at last!

Congratulations on your new arrivals!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Nimco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all that input you all, and congrats jackattack - I'm just impressed you have time to post with new twins!

Sounds like earthquakes aren't as bad as they're 'cracked up' to be, you just 'roll with it', excuse the puns! Socially, maybe it depends on your company, but there is some interesting comments there thanks, and work hours you can always find jobs that will require longer hours - you just don't know till you get there to a degree, but that one does worry me as a house husband.

Can I ask some technical questions that I may have to take elsewhere....

1. Anyone know if you can maintain/manage UK based investments in the US without becoming liable for US tax on the capital growth / income. e.g I run a shares based ISA as my main investment/retirement pot.

2. If you do not have a US work permit, does that prohibit you from all revenue generating activities? e.g. Could you set up a website that earns money? Could you open an account and trade US stock markets?

Thanks