Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Payment and Tax Options

Relocation Payment and Tax Options

Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relocation Payment and Tax Options

We are coming over to California in January (H1B visa grant permitting).
The company I am going out to work for is offering a $25k relocation assist and I am free to spend that as required.

But from what I have read here - if they transfer this directly to me to spend the IRS will see this as a "bonus" and it will count as taxable income. Even if I keep receipts etc I am not sure I will be able to avoid that and reclaim taxes etc?

So instead am I better to get the company to directly pay some of the costs?
The big ones being:
Removals $9400
Flights $2880
PetTransfer $1920
Car Hire $300

This will leave me with only $10k or so which will at least lead to less tax should I have to incur it.

PS I have searched and searched the forum and found lots of useful snippets of information on Relocation Payments but I can't quite find the answers in black and white so apologies if this has come up in another thread.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Payment and Tax Options

It is common for companies paying relocation to "gross up" the payment, knowing that it is taxable. It sounds to me like your employer doesn't want to be färting around with your shipping invoices, so they're bunging you $25k. You can ask them to pay your invoices directly, but I doubt they will do so.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

We are coming over to California in January (H1B visa grant permitting).
This attracted my attention. How are you coming over in January on an H1B? That seems outside the normal timescales, unless it's one of the non-cap positions.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.
The company has offered to pay individual expenses for me. So I think I will go with that.

The H1B has been approved but I still have the visa interview in a couple of weeks time. My job start date is January.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
The H1B has been approved but I still have the visa interview in a couple of weeks time. My job start date is January.
That explains that then
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:53 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
Thanks for the info.
The company has offered to pay individual expenses for me. So I think I will go with that.
Even if they pay the bills directly it is likely that, sooner or later, it will go through the payroll system. My relocation expenses were mainly paid directly - the big bills, as you are thinking - but it all ended up as items on the payslip. In my case they grossed it up to allow for taxes, so not an issue. I'd check that they will gross things up so you come out level on the tax situation.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

$9,800 seems kinda high for removals. Are you shipping a full 40ft container worth?

I'd take the cash. Then there will be no issues with being reimbursed.

When you file your taxes make sure to include your moving expenses as certain items can be deducted from your gross income to reduce your taxable gross income. The items that are tax deductible are: your travel expenses (flights), shipping costs, first nights accommodation.

See here: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/ar02.html

Is the company paying for a tax professional? I would make sure they are and would seek their advice in order to maximize your tax reductions.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:48 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We had expenses paid and were given $3500 which they grossed up. Agree your moving costs sound high; we did a 4 bed house for $5000.

Good luck with the move x
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the comments.

For the record the removals are Pickfords (who are the same price as the others we've spoken to).
It's a 20' container and is £5400 door-to-door including taxes.
You then need insurance and totting up our goods we think £500 is reasonable (about 18k covered).
Add those and convert and you get $9400 ($9800 was my quick and dirty estimate).
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Even if they pay the bills directly it is likely that, sooner or later, it will go through the payroll system.
Yes, it almost certainly will and, even if it doesn't, it is still taxable.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Can you sell most of your stuff in advance?
Save shipping costs then you have the dosh for shopping.
Shopping for new stuff here will be fun.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Can you sell most of your stuff in advance?
Save shipping costs then you have the dosh for shopping.
Shopping for new stuff here will be fun.
+1 - My wife had LOADS of fun with a bundle of cash getting new furniture and beds (we realized new bedding would be useless, so we sold all of our beds).

I then had a bundle of fun gettings a new Amp, assorted TVs, speakers and Xbox etc. 2 days before we left the UK I went to a carboot with everything we hadn't sold and ended up with 500 quid - you'd be surprised what people buy.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:21 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

Here's some reading for you!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved I had about $20k relocation budget. I was told I could spend it on a single ONE way air fare, or moving expenses and I think that was tax free. Anything else I spent it on would be taxed at something crazy like 40%. I figured that although it was a generous offer I wouldn't go nuts buying stuff I wouldn't normally because I would still be paying 40% of the value of it as taxes.
Since I did not have any moving expenses I just blew almost the whole lot on a business class airfare. I was going to go 1st class but the company warned me they would cover reasonable expenses and that 1st class might not be considered reasonable (at least for my relatively lowly position at the time).
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Relocation Payment and Tax Options

Originally Posted by angelman
When I moved I had about $20k relocation budget. I was told I could spend it on a single ONE way air fare, or moving expenses and I think that was tax free. Anything else I spent it on would be taxed at something crazy like 40%. I figured that although it was a generous offer I wouldn't go nuts buying stuff I wouldn't normally because I would still be paying 40% of the value of it as taxes.
Since I did not have any moving expenses I just blew almost the whole lot on a business class airfare. I was going to go 1st class but the company warned me they would cover reasonable expenses and that 1st class might not be considered reasonable (at least for my relatively lowly position at the time).
You idiot. They gave you $12,000, to do with as you pleased, and $8,000 to pass on to the IRS. To avoid giving $8,000 to the IRS, you blew the lot! That is a text book case of why taking decisions primarily to save tax is not sensible!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.