Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Package for Los Angeles / H1B Experience.

Relocation Package for Los Angeles / H1B Experience.

Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:41 am
Just Joined

sammyjeezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Package for Los Angeles / H1B Experience.

Hi everyone, this forum has been a massive help for me so far, so thank you all for your indirect but invaluable help.

I'm 27 and am in the process of moving to LA with my wife, we've been offered a relocation bonus of $10k plus our first month in a hotel. The salary I've been offered is around the $85k mark with renegotiation after 6 months plus bonus etc.

I've read around and it seems that California is one of the more expensive places to live, however on a £30k salary I was able to live/work in zone 1 in London quite comfortably. Should I be beating down the door to my boss' office for more cash?

On a completely different note, my H1B application process was relatively painless, my company filed the petition at USCIS on the 29th of November, I got the go ahead to book an appointment on the 13th of December and had my interview on Christmas Eve and was told I was successful, I'm hoping that's a good sign!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Package for Los Angeles / H1B Experience.

Originally Posted by sammyjeezy View Post
The salary I've been offered is around the $85k mark with renegotiation after 6 months plus bonus etc.
As long as you don't plan on living anywhere within 25 miles of the downtown core, you'll probably be fine. Have you negotiated for a GC?

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
As long as you don't plan on living anywhere within 25 miles of the downtown core, you'll probably be fine. Have you negotiated for a GC?

Ian
Hey Ian,

Yeah, once I'm in, that process will start, I've been told it can take a while..

Sam
Old Dec 26th 2009, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That figure sounds OK depending on what your area of work is. You will most probably both need cars and will most likely have to pay something towards healthcare, which may not have been the case in London. We know people who live on less than that here.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
That figure sounds OK depending on what your area of work is. You will most probably both need cars and will most likely have to pay something towards healthcare, which may not have been the case in London. We know people who live on less than that here.
It's advertising, where money is usually peanuts for the first 5 years, my gross pay is almost doubling, so I'm happy with that, and am hoping I'll be able to enjoy some of it in the few days off I'll get!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's advertising, where money is usually peanuts for the first 5 years, my gross pay is almost doubling, so I'm happy with that, and am hoping I'll be able to enjoy some of it in the few days off I'll get!
Negotiate UK vacation time as part of the package.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope you raise the standard of ads here