Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Package

Relocation Package

Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Package

Originally Posted by Ecto17
I am suggesting they ask, not expect. The employer is invested in this move working as well and therefore maybe open to providing some standard relocation options.

"Wait a minute, you want to trot off to the US, which is going to cost us a pile in legal fees, etc, and then you want us to pay for all these frills?" I'm purely playing devil's advocate -- could wanting too much be a turn-off that would put a stop to the whole thing? Only the OP can decide that, and he wanted food for thought.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I recently learnt in this regard is that if you don't ask, you don't get. So don't be afraid to push your luck slightly; the worst they can say is no.

Also recon trips over (for you and your spouse) are a must. I was close to agreeing to a package but then after spending more time in Boston I realised that the housing allowance offered was nowhere near enough to get me a place that I'd be comfortable in.

I also got a lump sum "grossed up" for moving expenses. I pushed back hard on this amount and actually compiled a spreadsheet that I sent to them listing all of the direct and indirect costs of the move. My advice would be not to overlook the indirect costs involved which for me were things like my UK mortgage whilst finding a tenant/buyer, my wife's lost salary for 3-6 months whilst her AED is approved, having to buy all new electrical items when in the US, lost deposits on summer flights from the UK that I no longer needed etc. etc.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget that many assignments fail; so you want your contract to cover the grossed up costs of flights and shipping and temporary accommodation and lease breaking and so on at the end of the assignment.