Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation to a new job , U.K. To NJ

Relocation to a new job , U.K. To NJ

Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation to a new job , U.K. To NJ

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Actually, come to think of it when we lived in Switzerland we didn't need an all-wheel drive as it is compulsory to have winter tyres from 1st October until the end of March; in our five years there we had two Skoda Octavia estate cars (company cars) but then the company decided to stop purchasing cars for employees and gave a lease allowance instead. Much to my chagrin my spouse got a BMW X1 in our final year there which I think was all-wheel drive. I really disliked the car though However, the tyre companies store your tyres when they change them around...although there was a fee for this.

We get a lot more snow in NJ than we used to get in Switzerland (we were 25 mins from the Alpine areas and were right next to Lake Zug). However, our first car in NJ in 2000 was a Dodge Caravan mini-van. It wouldn't go up our sloping drive if it was even a tad icy or snowy. We have nowhere to store winter tyres, I have no idea if the tyre places around here would even store them for half the year? We replaced it with a Volvo XC90 which was fine until the warranty expired, then it was very expensive to maintain. We now have a Subaru Outback and a Subaru XV Crosstrek....much cheaper to maintain and all Subaru cars have all-wheel drive as standard
Where abouts are you now in NJ?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After living in NJ for almost 20 years...I would recommend a 4x4 SUV. Winter tyres on a car may be as good as a SUV...but it does not have the ground clearance a SUV has. We regularly had 3 to 4 feet of compacted ice at the bottom of our drive...after the snow ploughing had cleared the road. That's not easy to move with a shovel. With a large SUV we managed to drive right over the mound.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
After living in NJ for almost 20 years...I would recommend a 4x4 SUV. Winter tyres on a car may be as good as a SUV...but it does not have the ground clearance a SUV has. We regularly had 3 to 4 feet of compacted ice at the bottom of our drive...after the snow ploughing had cleared the road. That's not easy to move with a shovel. With a large SUV we managed to drive right over the mound.
Absolutely agree! Our Subaru cars are not SUVs (Sports Utility Vehicles) but do have very good ground clearance 🙂
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, come to think of it when we lived in Switzerland we didn't need an all-wheel drive as it is compulsory to have winter tyres from 1st October until the end of March; in our five years there we had two Skoda Octavia estate cars (company cars) but then the company decided to stop purchasing cars for employees and gave a lease allowance instead. Much to my chagrin my spouse got a BMW X1 in our final year there which I think was all-wheel drive. I really disliked the car though However, the tyre companies store your tyres when they change them around...although there was a fee for this.

We get a lot more snow in NJ than we used to get in Switzerland (we were 25 mins from the Alpine areas and were right next to Lake Zug). However, our first car in NJ in 2000 was a Dodge Caravan mini-van. It wouldn't go up our sloping drive if it was even a tad icy or snowy. We have nowhere to store winter tyres, I have no idea if the tyre places around here would even store them for half the year? We replaced it with a Volvo XC90 which was fine until the warranty expired, then it was very expensive to maintain. We now have a Subaru Outback and a Subaru XV Crosstrek....much cheaper to maintain and all Subaru cars have all-wheel drive as standard
For decades we've stored our snow tires or regular tires in the basement. Last year or two, we've stored them at the tire dealers - they store them for free.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Relocation to a new job , U.K. To NJ

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Where abouts are you now in NJ?
Millburn township (Short Hills). A very small modest house in an expensive suburb 😱
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... We regularly had 3 to 4 feet of compacted ice at the bottom of our drive...after the snow ploughing had cleared the road. That's not easy to move with a shovel. .....
I am gonna take a wild guess that you never actually tried!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am gonna take a wild guess that you never actually tried!
You are wrong.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You are wrong.
POIDH.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely agree! Our Subaru cars are not SUVs (Sports Utility Vehicles) but do have very good ground clearance 🙂

Another vote in favor from CT. The rocks in my driveway make clearance hard all year round, but when there's snow in addition . . . I live in hope that one year the plow will somehow rip them out of the ground, but after 18 years that hope is dimming.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
POIDH.
No pics...but needless to say my efforts didn't get very far.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Millburn township (Short Hills). A very small modest house in an expensive suburb 😱
We aren't too far from each other! I am basking Ridge. I love your town, we did look there, really lovely. The theatre there is meant to be broadway standard.
Hope you are settling well, we are still new but beginning to make some friends.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We aren't too far from each other! I am basking Ridge. I love your town, we did look there, really lovely. The theatre there is meant to be broadway standard.
Hope you are settling well, we are still new but beginning to make some friends.
Basking Ridge is very nice...daughter went to high school in Martinsville. We lived not too far away from BR in Mendham.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:17 am

No pics...but needless to say my efforts didn't get very far.
That I can believe!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Basking Ridge is very nice...daughter went to high school in Martinsville. We lived not too far away from BR in Mendham.
Mendham is v pretty. Also l think you put me into Gary's in Madison? V pleased to find a local one to here yesterday! Thank you.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Mendham is v pretty. Also l think you put me into Gary's in Madison? V pleased to find a local one to here yesterday! Thank you.
Yes that was me. There is one in Bernardsville too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.