Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Expenses UK to US

Relocation Expenses UK to US

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:47 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Expenses UK to US

The biggest thing when it comes to negotiations is getting four weeks holiday or more if you can...hubby had 8 weeks in the UK...he now has 6 weeks in the USA..plus 7 US bank holidays...and 3 anytime days....
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sounds as if you're being short changed to me. I would never consider moving to another country unless I'd had the opportunity to visit and take a good look around first.
We are in a way but basically we're stuck right now in a country we hate (Holland) and we need to get to an English speaking country before our daughter needs to start school (my husband just can't speak foreign languages). My husband is in a non-managerial post right now and they don't normally do relocations for this level, so they're doing us a favour. Our only other option was to come up with the cash for a self-emigration to Canada, and believe me this way is turning out cheaper. We could have waited until he reached managerial level and then gone for the relocation with all the perks but we might have been 12,000 euros a year into international school by that time. And no going back to the UK isn't an option for us!
So yes if you're not already earning enough to be able to afford to pay for it all yourself anyway then you might get a crap deal but then isn't that always the way?
And besides I already moved to one country I'd never visited and it turned out OK. I've visited many North American cities and I trust my husband's judgement on Chicago's comparison to those places. It's not like we're going to some place nobody has ever heard of.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

andrewj7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
So, what is it reasonable to expect in a relocation package when moving from UK to US - employer being US based?
You should expect to budget something in the region of $40,000. This would easily cover business class flights, relocation agent, living expenses for the first month, rental car for 1 month etc.

While it may seem on the high side to some people the costs soon mount up. Especially since anyone moving will need some reserve of cash when starting with no credit in the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
We are in a way but basically we're stuck right now in a country we hate (Holland) and we need to get to an English speaking country before our daughter needs to start school (my husband just can't speak foreign languages).
So why are you moving to the US?

And besides I already moved to one country I'd never visited and it turned out OK. I've visited many North American cities and I trust my husband's judgement on Chicago's comparison to those places. It's not like we're going to some place nobody has ever heard of.
I understand what you are saying, but imo a big part of an inter-continental move is what the working environment will be like for the working spouse. Obviously, coming over on vacation etc gives you no clue of this. You are doing an intra-company transfer so presumably that gives you some clue, however. I realize in retrospect how lucky I was as an intra-company transferee in that I had already been to the US on business several times, knew the people I would be working with etc. It really helped.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 3rd 2006 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
The biggest thing when it comes to negotiations is getting four weeks holiday or more if you can...hubby had 8 weeks in the UK...he now has 6 weeks in the USA..plus 7 US bank holidays...and 3 anytime days....

Or try negotiating 2 weeks "unpaid leave". This means that you are effectively being paid for 50.176 weeks in the year instead of 52.176. ie in the grand scheme it shouldn't make a dent in your pocket.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We're getting a lump sum which we have to spend as we want. Flights for the final move are on top of that.
If we had wanted to ship our entire home contents we would have had to dig into our own pockets to pay for it as it's not enough to cover a container etc, but luckily we've only got cheap IKEA flatpack and stuff so it's no loss to sell it all and just bring our clothes etc with us.
I managed to get my employer to ditch their usual relocation company they normally use and give me a lump sum instead so I could do things my way. It was a little more work for me but it saved us loads! We only had mostly Ikea furniture in our small flat at home anyway, and the 'usual' relocation company would only supply some huge container that we'd have been lucky to fill a corner of. Getting a lump sum instead meant that we could ship what little we had with a cheaper service and spend the rest on new Ikea furniture over here!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Dondo is an unknown quantity at this point

My employer was pretty flexible once I clarified what the real costs were, all-in it cost in the region of $25k and included:-

Packing and unpacking - used Abels who were absolutely fantastic!! - didn't break ANYTHING and it was a more or less full 40ft container (4 bedroom house). I can't recommend them highly enough.

Flights & initial accomodation. (did a one-off assessment visit first which they also covered).

Car rental - until I bought a vehicle locally.

First 12 months UK rental agency fees (I let out my house back in blighty).

Suffered somewhat on holiday allowance but they have been pretty flexible.

Incidental "closing up shop" expenses (cancellation of utilities / phone contracts).

In short I simply summed up what the cost of moving was (i.e. how much was I out of pocket as a result of relocating for the first 12 months) and nogetiated from there. I did everything I could to reasonably minimise costs though rather than jumping on a gravy train for hotels, etc. etc.

Remeber to reclaim your U.K tax to-date. Takes a while but it's worth the paperwork.

Good luck!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
I managed to get my employer to ditch their usual relocation company they normally use and give me a lump sum instead so I could do things my way. It was a little more work for me but it saved us loads! We only had mostly Ikea furniture in our small flat at home anyway, and the 'usual' relocation company would only supply some huge container that we'd have been lucky to fill a corner of. Getting a lump sum instead meant that we could ship what little we had with a cheaper service and spend the rest on new Ikea furniture over here!
Wouldn't that have a tax implication?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
aye, but it depends on how they do it as to it being salary or not etc...wouldn't pay tax on stuff brought over, but would on new stuff brought, so be better off getting the company to stump for sending as much of your gear as possible.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally

May do, but the company would normally pick up the bill.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dondo
Remember to reclaim your U.K tax to-date. Takes a while but it's worth the paperwork.

Good luck!!
Not heard of this - how's that work then?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Not heard of this - how's that work then?
P-85 from the inland revenue...send it in, and you get a cheque in a couple months with your refund...
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
May do, but the company would normally pick up the bill.
They did.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:45 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrewMonkey
Will be negotiating mine next week. Thanks to reading previous posts on here, I've got a good idea of what to push for depending on what they offer initially.

3 months until the move (first week Feb '07) and we think we've spotted the right house to buy so I'm looking to sort a mortgage out asap and try and wangle a larger lump sum out of the company to go towards the deposit.

I get a car here in the UK and the agreed to either stick on some extra cash tomy salary or give me a lump sum to buy one depending on what's more efficient for them at the time.

They will be providing a Tax accountant.

I'll let you know how the negotiations go and what they're offering for reference. It has been so useful for me reading people's actual experiences, so I'll try and do the same and post mine.

Was in the USA last week and was in Macy's asking about wedding lists. Turns out you can get a Macy's store card by using your passport number instead of an SS number so I applied straight away. I also applied for a UK Amex card this week using the tip from another thread so I can transfer it on their global scheme. Hopefully I'll have two cards for credit history purposes before I even arrive
Hey Brew Monkey - how did the negotiations go?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
as djb1000 says, do an estimate
then double it.
and you still pay some out of pocket.
Any of course you have to pay US taxes on it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.