Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

relocation costs

relocation costs

Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relocation costs

Originally Posted by MsElui
we got about $36k cash allowance (protected so no tax liability either) for 2 adults and 2 kids. That had to pay for reccie flights and accomodation, hotel accom on arrival, hire car, new white goods, rent deposits and any incidentals.

On top of that we got the following paid for:
the actual one way flights over to emigrate (business class),
a 40 ft sea freight container
a 6 ft air freight container
US tax preparation year 1 and final year
all visa costs
relocation consultant service at the US end
2 days cultural training in the us once we arrived

hubbies salary package includes family medical and dental, etc.
That's quite a package!

(as the actress said to the bishop)
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:51 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

wasnt bad :P just wish we had managed to get a gc written in and maybe also a flight home every year. Then it would have been superb.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I'm about to start my negotiation. Initially it was on the xpat package where you're expected to come back after 3-5 years. The package was similar to what everyone has said, including a car, house, tax free bonus, relocation bonus, free flights back every year.

However i'm now being asked to relocate there so I hve no idea what's on offer. Obviously I'll try to get as much as possible and the advice here has been invaluable!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

Is anyone able to give a rough cost estimate for a 40ft sea container, travelling to Boston??
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

we got about $36k cash allowance (protected so no tax liability either).
Having no tax liability for those costs that aren't tax deductible is really important as it can amount to significant dollars. And make sure your employer calculates the tax liability thoroughly too because giving you money to offset said liability is in itself taxable income ad infinitum (a negative exponential progression of liability, in fact).

Another thing I did was to ask for (and get) a hedge against currency fluctuations. I moved at a time of prior volatility in exchange rates and it was really useful to have this given I was moving money over to buy a house here.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:39 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

2 days cultural training in the us once we arrived
cultural training
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by porvera
Is anyone able to give a rough cost estimate for a 40ft sea container, travelling to Boston??
My 20ft to california was $14.000 so you should work upwards from there.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I've been told we get $12,000 to spend as we please, electricals, furniture or car. Directors get $20,000. Is that due to their expanding waistlines? Expensive tastes? Doesn't really make sense, but I guess i'd be complaining if I was a Director and get the same amount as a junior member of staff!

Flights are paid for. We have to find a property to rent after the initial 3 months.

Will that be enough you think? My first estimate came to $17,000 inc sofas, kitchen equipment and all electricals.

Dave