British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relocation consultants San Diego (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relocation-consultants-san-diego-946273/)

Asam1 Nov 27th 2022 7:27 pm

Relocation consultants San Diego

Hi everyone, I will soon be moving to San Diego for work and was looking for recommendations for local consultants who can help with arranging a property and schools etc. If anyone knows of some decent local companies I would be SOOOOOO grateful for some names. We are also trying to think whether to stick our stuff in storage or ship everything out. Any advice on what is best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks A.

SanDiegogirl Nov 27th 2022 8:56 pm

Re: Relocation consultants San Diego

Never used a relocation consultant. Have you Googled San Diego relocation consultants/realtors? Many realtors will act of relocation consultants.

Where are you going to work? Is this a short term assignment as you are thinking of whether to store or ship?

Schools will depend on where you end up living.

Asam1 Nov 27th 2022 9:11 pm

I can be based anywhere on the west coast but we are thinking SD would be an amazing spot and a far cry from London. I guess the rationale for a consultant was more to support school and accommodation as going blind seems a bit scary. We are looking to start for 2 years and then see what happens. Thanks A.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13157056)
Never used a relocation consultant. Have you Googled San Diego relocation consultants/realtors? Many realtors will act of relocation consultants.

Where are you going to work? Is this a short term assignment as you are thinking of whether to store or ship?

Schools will depend on where you end up living.

LegalEagleTX Nov 27th 2022 11:16 pm

If you are looking at places to live/schools then any decent real estate agent would be able to help with that, no need to hire a consultant.

SanDiegogirl Nov 27th 2022 11:58 pm

With not having any particular place in mind, then anywhere along the coast from SD to Oceanside would be nice - and more expensive to rent or buy

Pulaski Nov 28th 2022 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Asam1 (Post 13157053)
Hi everyone, I will soon be moving to San Diego for work ....

Do you realize that San Diego is, by some measures, the most expensive place to live in the entire US? So as you have flexibility for your actual location, unless you're made of money, you should consider what your budget will look like and then choose a location that will leave you money for other things in life than housing and food.

destone Nov 29th 2022 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13157075)
Do you realize that San Diego is, by some measures, the most expensive place to live in the entire US?

Relative to California (and New York) it is not that expensive. The lower wages reflect this.

Orange County may offer better value for money.

tht Nov 30th 2022 2:05 am

Originally Posted by destone (Post 13157442)
Relative to California (and New York) it is not that expensive. The lower wages reflect this.

Orange County may offer better value for money.

San Diego is [in] California….

destone Nov 30th 2022 5:35 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13157449)
San Diego is [in] California….

Good to know! Haha. Mentioned New York in brackets as Pulaski referenced the “entire US”.