Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Benefits - Repayment Clause!

Relocation Benefits - Repayment Clause!

Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:05 am
Researching like mad

Mcodox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Benefits - Repayment Clause!

We are just working through employment contracts for a job offer and there is something a tad worrying. There is a clause in the Relocation Agreement to the effect if the employee is 'terminated with cause' or voluntarily leaves the company within 2 years, the company can request repayment of the attributed value of the relocation benefits. Gulp.

Is this a typical clause / has anyone got experience of this? Any thoughts appreciated...thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Benefits - Repayment Clause!

Originally Posted by Mcodox
We are just working through employment contracts for a job offer and there is something a tad worrying. There is a clause in the Relocation Agreement to the effect if the employee is 'terminated with cause' or voluntarily leaves the company within 2 years, the company can request repayment of the attributed value of the relocation benefits. Gulp.

Is this a typical clause / has anyone got experience of this? Any thoughts appreciated...thanks!
Yes, my husband's contract had a similar clause (it was an secondment to the US). I think the repayment was tapered down to nothing after 2 years.

I would imagine it is a fairly standard clause as it can be quite expensive for a company to relocate employees.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's typical.

Sometimes you can get it on a sliding scale though so can try to punt for that.

It basically means if you're laid off of they can you, it's on them, if you hate it and quit or royally phook up and they sack you, it's on you.

If they're paying for the relocation, it would be daft of them not to, considering it could cost them many tens of thousands to bring you over and if they were to get you a green card on the get go you'd have no other reason to stick around if you didn't want to.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:15 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

It's typical. As Bob and Rebs mentioned, there's normally a sliding scale. For instance mine was 100% repayable within the first year and then prorated at any point up until the second year was up at which point nothing was owed.

Basically it's to protect the company for paying for relocation and then an employee just jumping ship to another company after having all their expenses paid.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I had that in my contract too.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:31 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep my hubby had it too, think it had a two year limit.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:37 pm
Researching like mad

Mcodox is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, its good to know we've got company and that it wasn't specially made up for us! Ours has a sliding scale after Yr1 too.

I can understand why they do it given the costs to them, it just is something we need to be aware of the risks.. Thanks all!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcodox
Thanks all, its good to know we've got company and that it wasn't specially made up for us! Ours has a sliding scale after Yr1 too.

I can understand why they do it given the costs to them, it just is something we need to be aware of the risks.. Thanks all!
On the flip side, you could and should angle for the same as a repatriation clause.

Would add another layer of job securing when there is none, meaning you'd be thousands of dollars more expensive to lay off compared to the person in the next cube if things were to go funky with the company, especially when they could just march that person out of the door that day without notice or severance.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
On the flip side, you could and should angle for the same as a repatriation clause.

Would add another layer of job securing when there is none, meaning you'd be thousands of dollars more expensive to lay off compared to the person in the next cube if things were to go funky with the company, especially when they could just march that person out of the door that day without notice or severance.
+1 For this - I was made redundant last year on a L-1 - and the law protects (to a certain extent) H-1 holders but gives nothing for L-1. Basically the employer has protection if YOU leave, but gives you none if they get rid of you -given the US "At Will" employment laws. I was EXTREMELY lucky they paid me severance - it wasn't in my contract (gulp) when I moved to the US but they felt "bad" I guess.