Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating with young Family to LA - Schools, Houses and Areas!

Relocating with young Family to LA - Schools, Houses and Areas!

Old Aug 24th 2016, 3:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating with young Family to LA - Schools, Houses and Areas!

Originally Posted by eg76
That's really interesting what you say about Private Schools. We have our kids in Private School in the UK and we love it, but are sacrificing other things to put our kids through. We are only focussing on Public Schools in California for that reason alone. I don't suppose you have any knowledge of La Canada and South Pasadena?
Sorry, I don't.

Originally Posted by eg76
Understand the anxiety! So my Uncle in Law lives in Moor Park and although nice, I did find it a little sterile and slightly Truman Showesque... but I guess you can't really get away from that in the area. Preferred Westlake - seemed a little more open (not sure why I thought that, but just seemed a little nicer....). My Uncle in Law used to live in Camarillo, which was great, but you might find you are the only expat for some considerable miles! Have a look at Agoura Hills and Oak Park. I did a drive around Oak Park with a realtor and had a look at the Elementary School there (10/10) and it looked very nice.

In terms of cultural change, you will have a blast. Southern California is awesome, bar the roads (which are terrible, crowded and take a lot of getting used to....). I have just come back from a scouting trip and whilst it was very hot, we had an awesome time driving around the coast and over the hills from Moor Park/Westlake to Malibu. I think it will take a little getting used to, but I would go in with a very positive mindset. If you do that, it will work.

Good Luck
I find the further west you go, the more suburban it gets. Westlake is very Stepford Wives, but at least there are things to do there. Moorpark/Camarillo just feels like housing estates, although you get a lot of house for your money out there, and the schools are good... I like your reference to the Truman Show, that is exactly how it all is.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating with young Family to LA - Schools, Houses and Areas!

I forgot to mention that whichever school you go to here, expects annual donations to the school. The schools in the wealthier areas-for example La Canada- it won't be small. La Canada expects a minimum of $2500 a year from each family. Think of giving less and you can of course, but everyone you go to school with will know as all amounts given by families are published in the newsletter. This is something we are used to in the UK. Even pre school you may send your kid to for only 10-12 hours a week will ask at the beginning of the year for a donation towards a gift for the teacher- this was $120 at our pre school as of course they have to give a financial gift to the teacher 4 times a year. It is kind of crazy and very much an American thing. I think the average American is quicker to put their hand in their pocket to support fundraisers that we are in the UK where we are just not used to this expectation. The fundraisers will some fast and thick at school too. We had a t least 7 at our son's school. Schools in the more normal areas will ask anything from $100- 500 a year annual donation. Oh and a huge list of stationery too.