Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Wichita.Need advise on sons education.

Relocating to Wichita.Need advise on sons education.

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

nursechick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Wichita.Need advise on sons education.

Hi Everyone.

Have spent time pouring over this site since we found out last week that we will probably be relocating to Wichita next year. So many things are buzzing around my head that I'm fit for bursting!.

Above all else my main concern is my son's education. So here's where I need the benefit of your collective wisdom.

My son is about to start year 11 at our local comprehensive.He is well entrenched into his GCSE's and we would move over once he has completed them. He is doing very well and would have gone on to 6th form college to do A Levels and then onto University. My feeling is that he should do the IB diploma. We have contacted the IB coordinater at the High School and I have done a fair bit of research.

Does anyone have experience of starting the IB at this age. How have you or your kids got on.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Wichita.Need advise on sons education.

What kind of US visa will you have? Temporary or permanent (green card)?

If you don't have a quick way to get a green card, probably not a great idea to move with a 15-16 year old.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Wichita.Need advise on sons education.

Hiya Nursechick, Welcome to BE

There has been recent discussion on the US forum about families with older kids moving here, most of us would advise that it isn't a great idea to move them here at that age, unless you are making a permanent (or hopefuly) move. If the employer is offering a limited time move, it may be more advantageous for your Son to finish off his education in the UK, it's a tough choice to make, but you have to think about returning to the UK before he has finished getting a degree etc and still needing to be in Uni', once you have been out of the UK for two years (I think it's two yrs) your Son would be treated as a non-resident and have to pay a lot more for at least his first year back.

It might be an idea to give us a bit more info on how long you are planning on staying here etc. We are happy to offer help. We know it can be very daunting when you are suddenly faced with the whole process.