Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating from UK to USA with 16 and 14

Relocating from UK to USA with 16 and 14

Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating from UK to USA with 16 and 14

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If it's any consolation, I don't know a single person that has settled where they went to uni.
went to uni in Brighton aged 18. stayed for 20 mostly happy years till I made the misguided decsiion to marry an Australin.
Now in the process of moving back to Brighton, its a place I have viewed as home the whole time I have been away.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
went to uni in Brighton aged 18. stayed for 20 mostly happy years till I made the misguided decsiion to marry an Australin.
Now in the process of moving back to Brighton, its a place I have viewed as home the whole time I have been away.
To be fair, Brighton is quite nice. Somebody that went to uni in Stoke may not have been so keen.

Good luck with the move back, exciting times.

Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK some friends stayed in Manchester and both my younger brothers stayed in Brighton and Essex respectively. Many like me and my older brother moved to London once he was down at Sydney Sussex and had paid off his wine bill…

The US has a lot of colleges in towns with not much else. For higher tier schools I think most will move to grad school or a big city (NYC, SF, Austin, Chicago etc.) for a new role / graduate program when they are done rather than returning home…
Old Feb 26th 2023, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Nbatches is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved around a lot at that age... it was definitely tough, but looking back now, it made me so much more adaptable too. I say go for it!
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that there are any right or wrong answers, it would vary case by case.
Is there ever a good time to move with children/teenagers? By the time you wait for everything to be perfect the opportunity will be gone.

I would add that I moved just over 8 years ago with three teenagers who were then 17, 15 and 13. All are flourishing and none of them are broken!
Old Apr 10th 2023, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

TaraBranson is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in this position. We need to move to Seattle this year for my husbands work.
We have 13 year old year 8, 14 year old year 9 and a 15 year old year 10. The fear of moving my older daughter who will be going into her last year of secondary school is so real. She will not stay behind in the UK she needs to be with us, I can’t stay behind in the uk as we can’t afford to run 2 places.
it’s really promising to hear of the children that have moved and have coped well.
Any advice for us would be great lol.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraBranson
We are in this position. We need to move to Seattle this year for my husbands work.
We have 13 year old year 8, 14 year old year 9 and a 15 year old year 10. The fear of moving my older daughter who will be going into her last year of secondary school is so real. She will not stay behind in the UK she needs to be with us, I can’t stay behind in the uk as we can’t afford to run 2 places.
it’s really promising to hear of the children that have moved and have coped well.
Any advice for us would be great lol.
Read this thread, as it already contains most of the advice and opinions you're going to get.

The only thing you don't mention is whether your husband is coming on a 2-3:year posting, or a likely permanent move? And if it's only a 2-3 year posting, honestly, in my opinion uprooting your family twice during the age range of 13-18 isn't worth it, and your younger two will have bigger issues returning to the UK and trying to slot back in to take GCSE and A levels.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Read this thread, as it already contains most of the advice and opinions you're going to get.

The only thing you don't mention is whether your husband is coming on a 2-3:year posting, or a likely permanent move? And if it's only a 2-3 year posting, honestly, in my opinion uprooting your family twice during the age range of 13-18 isn't worth it, and your younger two will have bigger issues returning to the UK and trying to slot back in to take GCSE and A levels.
Permanent move on L1 visas.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Permanent move on L1 visas.
The Visa is for temporary residency. It is not permanent until a Green Card is applied for and issued.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The Visa is for temporary residency. It is not permanent until a Green Card is applied for and issued.
Sorry should have said the company will start the green card process ASAP. But yes a 7 year visa to start but the move over in the companies eye is a permanent one.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry should have said the company will start the green card process ASAP. But yes a 7 year visa to start but the move over in the companies eye is a permanent one.
7 years? The L1 is not a 7 year visa…you must apply for an extension.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2023 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just a quick mention: Please do not assume that a visa means permanent residency….it does not, There are several reasons why you could be forced to leave the US. We even had one member who applied for a visa extension and the USCIS cocked it up and they ran out of time. This meant they had to leave the US.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just a quick mention: Please do not assume that a visa means permanent residency….it does not, There are several reasons why you could be forced to leave the US. We even had one member who applied for a visa extension and the USCIS cocked it up and they ran out of time. This meant they had to leave the US.
yes true, so basically the short of it is, it’s suppose to be a permanent move, we have teenagers at ages and school years stated above, however lots could go wrong, we could end up coming back due to any visa extension issues/green card issues we may encounter. But hubby has to come out this year… so any advice with moving children at their ages and schooling would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

yes true, so basically the short of it is, it’s suppose to be a permanent move, we have teenagers at ages and school years stated above, however lots could go wrong, we could end up coming back due to any visa extension issues/green card issues we may encounter. But hubby has to come out this year… so any advice with moving children at their ages and schooling would be great. Thank you in advance.
Depending on the green card category, and how prompt your attorneys are and employer is, you may find you move with immigrant visas. It's super quick via London consular processing at the mo.

I'm moving with teenagers in July, but ours is going to a British school to minimise disruption to education, so can't really help with advice on moving teens in to the US schooling system. Just bear in mind the cost of university if any of them decide they want to come back to the UK to do their degree (probably mentioned above in this thread, but just in case it's not!).

Good luck to you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 10th 2023 at 6:02 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 6:55 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t have personal experience of this because I have no school age kids but you might want to identify which school district you are likely to be in and inquire what would be required to ensure that your daughter can graduate high school on time and with as high a grade point average as possible, particularly if she will go to college. That may involve doing some extra credit hours in her last year and will almost certainly require that you have a lot of paperwork to get credit for her UK accomplishments. It will be a lot easier to get that paperwork whilst you are in the UK. You will probably need medical records of vaccination shots for all of your kids. While I do not have school age kids, I was that kid who moved between several countries in my teenage years, and while it was not a walk in the park, I turned out just fine, and more confident and adaptable in my later life than many who had the traditional school years. You could focus your daughter on what college she might want to go to, or what kind of job she would like. That would allow her to fill any empty time and provide light at the end of the fairly short tunnel if she does have a difficult time.

There are others on this forum who have done exactly what you are proposing so hopefully they will chime in on how to accomplish it, and not focus on why you should not. For what it is worth, if you intend the move to be permanent then I think you are doing the right thing if you want to keep your family unit in one country long term. Things could go wrong with the move but is sounds like you have everything possible in your favor. Worst case is that your daughter has a tough final year at school but that won’t even be a full calendar year, and she will then be moving onto college, or a job, where everyone will be starting over anyway. Your other kids will adapt just fine. Good luck.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Apr 10th 2023 at 6:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.