Reload this Page >

Relocating to Raleigh, NC from Scotland

Relocating to Raleigh, NC from Scotland

Old May 20th 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

gb050573 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Raleigh, NC from Scotland

Hi all

I just joined the forum. My husband and I are relocating to Raleigh this summer (hopefully!) with our 6 month old baby girl (and cat!). My company is sponsoring me as I work in an executive role and will be transferring to the US office on a L1 visa and my husband and daughter coming with me on a L2 visa. The company has a visa attorney completing the initial application and it's been submitted so we're just waiting on the green light.

Anyone know how long this is likely to take? It's non-expedited.

Lots to sort out but we are really excited and can't wait to be over there and away from the rubbish weather here! We've enrolled our daughter in a lovely childcare center and are going to live somewhere temporary until our furniture arrives from the UK and are planning to rent a house in the Cary/Apex area after that. We have an amazing realtor working on our behalf.

Looking forward to getting involved in some of the discussions here
Old May 20th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Raleigh, NC from Scotland

Originally Posted by gb050573
Hi all

I just joined the forum. My husband and I are relocating to Raleigh this summer (hopefully!) with our 6 month old baby girl (and cat!). My company is sponsoring me as I work in an executive role and will be transferring to the US office on a L1 visa and my husband and daughter coming with me on a L2 visa. The company has a visa attorney completing the initial application and it's been submitted so we're just waiting on the green light.

Anyone know how long this is likely to take? It's non-expedited.

Lots to sort out but we are really excited and can't wait to be over there and away from the rubbish weather here! We've enrolled our daughter in a lovely childcare center and are going to live somewhere temporary until our furniture arrives from the UK and are planning to rent a house in the Cary/Apex area after that. We have an amazing realtor working on our behalf.

Looking forward to getting involved in some of the discussions here
Welcome to the triangle. If you like hot humid weather instead of rubbish weather then you will love July and August
Old May 20th 2014, 11:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Looking forward to getting involved in some of the discussions here. ....
Welcome, and a premature welcome to NC - I'm a little ways off to the west of where you're headed.

I recommend you start out reading a lot, and posting a little, and get involved in other people's threads rather than start lots of your own.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Welcome to the triangle. If you like hot humid weather instead of rubbish weather then you will love July and August
No this is entirely false. You must *embrace*, *enjoy* and get excited about hot humid weather to actually "love" July and August in NC, especially Raleigh. Liking it is simply not enough
Old May 20th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We have an amazing realtor working on our behalf.
I can believe a lot of things but don't push it

Welcome to the site.
Old May 20th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

we are really excited and can't wait to be over there and away from the rubbish weather here!
Are you familiar with the expression 'Swamp Ass'?
Old May 20th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
No this is entirely false. You must *embrace*, *enjoy* and get excited about hot humid weather to actually "love" July and August in NC, especially Raleigh. Liking it is simply not enough
Have you decided to move back yet

We have had a pretty good spring so far. Only 2-3 90F days so far
Old May 20th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Have you decided to move back yet

We have had a pretty good spring so far. Only 2-3 90F days so far
Oh, we moved to California instead

We had no problem with the weather in Raleigh for about 10 months of the year. Spring and especially fall with all the colours of the trees was fantastic. When it got REALLY hot - we actually took a long drive to the coast - one trip to Kitty Hawk and visited the Wright brothers spot/museum - I liked that and my kids loved the visit to Dairy Queen after!
Old May 21st 2014, 11:12 am
Just Joined

I should probably add....we're not just moving for the weather. I'm pretty sure we could get better weather than Scotland in virtually any other part of the world. More to do with a better lifestyle / standard of living and scoring a fairly sizeable pay rise from the company in order to move

I've visited the area some 10-12 times in the last few years (including in July and August :P), love it!
Old May 21st 2014, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I should probably add....we're not just moving for the weather. I'm pretty sure we could get better weather than Scotland in virtually any other part of the world. ......
There are plenty of places in the US with worse weather than Scotland.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 21st 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Indeed. Thankfully we're not planning to move to one of them!