British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relocating our dogs conundrum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relocating-our-dogs-conundrum-895978/)

RollingStones Apr 26th 2017 5:42 pm

Relocating our dogs conundrum

We are currently planning our relocation. This is happening through my husbands employer, and we're trying for September to tie in with school admission.

However, two years ago we put plans in place for a holiday in California this summer. This is for three weeks in August. It is coincidental the opportunity for a temporary transfer to Phildelphia came up 6 or so weeks ago.

Initially we assumed that we would go on holiday for three weeks, come home and fly back two weeks later. However, the more I think about it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't it make sense to go over at the end of July and stay in the States?

The thing is though, we have two dogs that must come with us. So I'm trying to work out how we manage their relocation beyond just getting them a pet passport. Should we kennel them here and move them out when we arrive in Philly? Ask friends to put them on the plane and we meet them as on the other side? Or how do people normally manage? :unsure:

Thanks in advance

ian-mstm Apr 26th 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Relocating our dogs conundrum

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12239047)
Wouldn't it make sense to go over at the end of July and stay in the States?

Yes, but only if you have visas through his work by the end of July... otherwise, no. You can be in the US in one status only. So, you either enter the US as visitors on holiday, or you enter the US on work visas.

Ian

RollingStones Apr 26th 2017 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12239207)
Yes, but only if you have visas through his work by the end of July... otherwise, no. You can be in the US in one status only. So, you either enter the US as visitors on holiday, or you enter the US on work visas.

Ian

Ooops sorry :o , I knew that and was assuming that the L1 visas will be through by then.

ian-mstm Apr 26th 2017 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12239208)
Ooops sorry :o , I knew that and was assuming that the L1 visas will be through by then.

No worries... never hurts to double check! :)

Ian

sherbert Apr 27th 2017 5:00 am

Get friends to put them on the plane and pick them up in Philly: best option.

Aoi Apr 27th 2017 8:06 am

Airlines and airports have restrictions on travelling with pets in summer. In hot months the pet would need to travel in the cabin (e.g. Lufthansa: pet + carrier <8 kg) or have air conditioned transfers available airside in the US.

If arriving by freight the dogs will need to clear U.S. customs and there may be difficulty importing the dogs as personal effects if travelling before you get the L1 visa. If the dogs travel in the cabin they will be with you when you reach US immigration, which should not be a problem if you have the L1 visa.

Having dogs will limit the choice of hotels and many hotels charge a non-refundable pet deposit.

Holidaying with a dog is restricting because many destinations do not accept dogs. Meals on days out with the dogs in summer are likely to be fast food eaten in the car with the air conditioning running.

Sending the dogs after mid-September is likely to be the easiest option.

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Aoi (Post 12239429)
Airlines and airports have restrictions on travelling with pets in summer. In hot months the pet would need to travel in the cabin (e.g. Lufthansa: pet + carrier <8 kg) or have air conditioned transfers available airside in the US. ....

That only applies to airports in The South, Florida, and Texas, flying into Philly shouldn't be a problem. There are additional restrictions on snub-nosed dogs.

RollingStones Apr 27th 2017 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12239356)
Get friends to put them on the plane and pick them up in Philly: best option.

I'm liking this idea.
Also I've asked for a quote from AirPet for kenneling them here before flying. I have a horrible feeling that it's going to be really expensive, but we have to weigh it up against all of us coming home for 2 weeks only to go back again. And since we rent our house, it wouldn't make sense for us to be paying the rent on it for August.

RollingStones Apr 27th 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Aoi (Post 12239429)

Meals on days out with the dogs in summer are likely to be fast food eaten in the car with the air conditioning running.

Well I wouldn't picnic with one of our dogs either. She's a beagle, basically a nose with a dog attached. Seriously, seriously greedy. We love her, but boy! the scavenging is annoying.

jellybean_17 Apr 28th 2017 9:05 pm

They need to be micro-chipped, (have rabies vaccinations - check state) and the vet complete a fit to fly certificate before they leave for the US. The pet passports are handy if you are not staying long term, makes taking them back to the UK easier. I'm pretty sure Airpets have a vet they use if your dogs are in kennels there before (I was offered this when quoted by them). If you can have them sent over afterwards it will give you time to get sorted. Saying that we took our dog on the same flight both to Canada and US, found hotels no issue. In the US he was cleared through customs for us so all we had to do was collect him, nice easy process (much simpler than Canada). I used PetAir both times and had a great experience, their price was also more competitive than Airpets too, if you want to try them for a quote also. Good luck with the move over :)