Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to NYC. Renting home in UK

Relocating to NYC. Renting home in UK

Old Jan 10th 2019, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to NYC. Renting home in UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The rules as explained to me, though I have no personal experience, is that depreciation is also recaptured regardless of whether you claimed it, which is why depreciation is mandatory. In other words you can't elect to not depreciate as a way to later avoid the claw-back
Yes, I think that's correct. My point was more of to be aware of this if you are going to rent then sell whilst still subject to US taxation. Some people get a nasty shock when they find that they can't exclude the portion of the gain attributable to depreciation. Of course, if you are here temporarily and then leave the clutches of US taxation, depreciation is actually a really good deal.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Ealing man in NY is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are tax-resident in the US then you are liable for taxes on your worldwide income. All US citizens and permanent residents are tax resident regardless of where in the world they live, as are all visa-holders who are resident in the US, including those on work visas. I am not certain about the situation vis-a-vis tax on rental income in the UK - if you pay tax there then it is almost certain that you will pay no tax in the US on rental income from the UK, though you must still report all the income and expense totals on your US tax return.
OK thanks, that's what I thought which is reassuring, we get a first year US advisor as part of our relo package which should help going forward.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yes, I think that's correct. My point was more of to be aware of this if you are going to rent then sell whilst still subject to US taxation. Some people get a nasty shock when they find that they can't exclude the portion of the gain attributable to depreciation. Of course, if you are here temporarily and then leave the clutches of US taxation, depreciation is actually a really good deal.
Yes, this is something to bear in mind.

I think it's taxed at 25%, not as income.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci

Ouch, you're right, which is even worse for someone with a lower marginal tax rate than that.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Relocating to NYC. Renting home in UK

This is not true, I sold my house in November and just completed tax estimate with my tax accountant (and paid a hefty tax on FX gain from the mortgage repayment!). The depreciation claw back is treated as ordinary income, since you excluded it from the rental income before, that was also subject to ordinary income tax. The other point is that depreciation claw back applies only to the period that you were the US tax resident and claimed it in the rental deduction. In other words, IRS can only claim back on depreciation what you were allowed to deduct earlier.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadiigo
.... In other words, IRS can only claim back on depreciation what you were allowed required to deduct earlier.
​​​​​​​FIFY
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadiigo
This is not true, I sold my house in November and just completed tax estimate with my tax accountant (and paid a hefty tax on FX gain from the mortgage repayment!). The depreciation claw back is treated as ordinary income, since you excluded it from the rental income before, that was also subject to ordinary income tax. The other point is that depreciation claw back applies only to the period that you were the US tax resident and claimed it in the rental deduction. In other words, IRS can only claim back on depreciation what you were allowed to deduct earlier.
When I went to a CPA for my tax return and enquired about taxes if I sold my US rental property in the future, he said the depreciation would be taxed at 25%. Perhaps the tax rules for US and foreign rentals are different? I'm not a tax expert but it seems to me that if, for example, you've had depreciation of $10,000/yr for 10 years, $100,000 suddenly on top of your income would send you to a high tax bracket so you'd be penalized, paying more taxes than you got a deduction for.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point

When I went to a CPA for my tax return and enquired about taxes if I sold my US rental property in the future, he said the depreciation would be taxed at 25%. Perhaps the tax rules for US and foreign rentals are different? I'm not a tax expert but it seems to me that if, for example, you've had depreciation of $10,000/yr for 10 years, $100,000 suddenly on top of your income would send you to a high tax bracket so you'd be penalized, paying more taxes than you got a deduction for.
I don't really know what to say here. I agree with your point that accumulated depreciation will raise your tax bracket but I will not be surprised if this is how IRS wanted it! I will check again with my CPA when doing the final return next month. The whole calculation and numerous tax forms make this more complicated than it should be.

While still on this subject I checked it on Google and on Investopedia site (under Depreciation recapture) it explains with a good example that the depreciation is taxed at the ordinary income tax rates. In my preliminary tax return, the depreciation is part of the ordinary income added via many forms and schedules

Last edited by sadiigo; Jan 15th 2019 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

hfrix is an unknown quantity at this point

Added the below to the wrong thread but I'd like to jump in and ask a question regarding the deductions allowed on UK rental income:

If the total expenses is higher than income, can I reduce this from my total income (i.e. salary earned from US employment)? Note; my total US income for 2018 was less than $100k as I moved halfway through the year.
Cheers!
Old Feb 6th 2019, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hfrix
Added the below to the wrong thread but I'd like to jump in and ask a question regarding the deductions allowed on UK rental income:

If the total expenses is higher than income, can I reduce this from my total income (i.e. salary earned from US employment)? Note; my total US income for 2018 was less than $100k as I moved halfway through the year.
Cheers!
Possibly, to a limited extent under certain specific circumstances, but that is a matter that you should direct to a tax professional, and not a "tax preparer", an actual professionally qualified tax accountant or lawyer.

​​​​​​​I know that several of the well known tax software packages are now quite sophisticated and might also have sufficient complexity to calculate how much, if any, of a rental loss can be set against your earned income.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 12:36 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

If you are tax-resident in the US then you are liable for taxes on your worldwide income. All US citizens and permanent residents are tax resident regardless of where in the world they live, as are all visa-holders who are resident in the US, including those on work visas. I am not certain about the situation vis-a-vis tax on rental income in the UK - if you pay tax there then it is almost certain that you will pay no tax in the US on rental income from the UK, though you must still report all the income and expense totals on your US tax return.
Agree with most of yours and Giantaxe's comments (esp on depreciation differences), but note the UK rental would benefit from the circa £12K pa UK tax-free allowance in UK tax terms, but would be added to the US income at the marginal rate - likely meaning a USA income tax even when no UK one at all.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Agree with most of yours and Giantaxe's comments (esp on depreciation differences), but note the UK rental would benefit from the circa £12K pa UK tax-free allowance in UK tax terms, but would be added to the US income at the marginal rate - likely meaning a USA income tax even when no UK one at all.
OK, that makes sense, however the reality of US taxation of rental income, with deductions for mortgage interest, depreciation, depreciation on appliances, insurance, agent's fees, accountant's fees, marketing/advertising, repairs, maintenance (painting, cleaning, etc.), property taxes (if any), mileage/ travel to the property (I'm not sure I would try to claim transatlantic airfares though!) and possibly some other expenses if they were incurred as a direct result of owning and renting-out the property, is that there will be little or quite possibly no tax on the rental income in the US either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 7th 2019 at 2:45 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Jadecat88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if I can help much with the OP question, but I'm in a similar position of moving to NYC. The issue is that I'm bringing some stuff with me, but won't have an apartment sorted before all the items arrive. So... thinking I'll have to put a lot of things in storage for a few months, until the apartment is free. I've already got the apartment ready, but just have to wait for the other occupants to leave first The prices here seem okay for a storage unit based in New York, as I think it will be $239 for a 'Medium' option. Hoping it would be just 1 month of storage! Question is, has anyone had bad experiences with self-storage? Like theft or damage, for example? Never used one before so I'm a bit hesitant.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jadecat88
I don't know if I can help much with the OP question, but I'm in a similar position of moving to NYC. The issue is that I'm bringing some stuff with me, but won't have an apartment sorted before all the items arrive. So... thinking I'll have to put a lot of things in storage for a few months, until the apartment is free. I've already got the apartment ready, but just have to wait for the other occupants to leave first The prices here seem okay for a storage unit based in New York, as I think it will be $239 for a 'Medium' option. Hoping it would be just 1 month of storage! Question is, has anyone had bad experiences with self-storage? Like theft or damage, for example? Never used one before so I'm a bit hesitant.
I rented one in Westchester County for eight months, so just to the north of NYC, I rented one in Virginia for a year or so, and I have now been renting one for many years in NC. Self storage businesses are two-a-penny in the US and I don't ever recall hearing of them being broken into. Generally they are pretty secure, with bolted metal doors, gated access, video cameras, etc (both the one in NY and the one in VA had all the security bells and whistles). but I think that people know they are just full of people's "stuff" and not worth stealing - you've seen Storage Wars, right? And the popular rumour is that those units are "salted" with saleable items to make the show interesting

The one I have in NC is just off the side of the road, it has a metal roller door but is not behind any sort of fence or gate, but I have never had concerns about it being broken in to, and honestly if it was someone else's unit and I knew what was in it I wouldn't waste my time trying to break into it!
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

pritesh_a is an unknown quantity at this point

So apologies in advance if this has already been answered in the thread. I've just received my 2018 filing and have been hit with a $26,000 bill. The company I work for files my taxes and does so late and pays the late payment penalty.

My background...UK born and raised, lived in London until February 2017 when I seconded to the US on a 3 year visa. I bought a property when I was in the UK in Nov 2015 and while in the US I refinanced my mortgage between two UK lenders on the UK property in May 2018 from a residential to buy-to-let. At the same time I also paid a lump sum deposit to reduce my LTV to 60%. To my shock my filing says I owe a combined $26,000 between the federal and state filings because of "foreign mortgage gains" which just comes across to me as NUTS!

Has anyone else been in this situation? Do I have no option but to pay?

Last edited by pritesh_a; Jun 3rd 2019 at 3:21 pm. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.