Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
I have explained this to my daughter, but she doesn't care. She hates anything like canoeing, rock climbing etc... and refused to do them on her school journey in Wales last year. She's not one to follow the crowd, if she really doesn't want to do something I won't force her. I made her go on the scout camp last year and she was miserable the whole time. She suffers from eczema, but it only flares up when she is stressed out. When she returned from the scout camp, it had flared up everywhere and I felt awful.
My daughter didn't go to camp...she never brought the subject up and neither did I.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have explained this to my daughter, but she doesn't care. She hates anything like canoeing, rock climbing etc... and refused to do them on her school journey in Wales last year. She's not one to follow the crowd, if she really doesn't want to do something I won't force her. I made her go on the scout camp last year and she was miserable the whole time. She suffers from eczema, but it only flares up when she is stressed out. When she returned from the scout camp, it had flared up everywhere and I felt awful.
They can usually go to 'camp' for other things, not involving camping - eg days doing basketball, dancing, going to theme parks.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:21 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

I was working full time last year so didn't have a choice, but to put my son in full time camp. The year before I was not working and we would go to our pool and do fun day trips to the beach etc. I know this may be a problem without driving.....but my point is that I have wonderful summer memories of spending time with my son the year that I wasn't working compared to the year he was in a theme, soccer, and basketball camp....although he has greatly improved on his soccer and basketball skills...however he can go to classes in the school year.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

I guess you didn't notice the huge South Mountain Reservation? One of the entrances is across the street from Millburn library and stretches for acres and acres, skirting Maplewood and South Orange.

There is also a dog park (one for small dogs, one for larger dogs) at the Reservation. I often used to go for walks there:

http://www.essex-countynj.org/p/inde...parks/sites/so

http://www.essex-countynj.org/p/index.php?section=dog
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

To get town specific camp information its good to go to the town website of the places you are looking to live in and check the recreation department. Ours is very proactive and there are loads of things for the kids to do over the summer and throughout the year.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As we have such strict criteria, we will not rule anywhere out! We actually visited Ridgewood on a Sunday and I had already read that most stores and malls would be closed.

The other areas that we have visited seemed lot busier with more going on. One of my concerns is how to keep my daughter occupied during the summer break, especially as I won't have a car. Any area with good bus and train links would be ideal for this.

So far, the larger towns and especially those in Westchester seem to fit the bill. Westchester in particular has a very good bus service to the surrounding areas with the added attraction of the nearby beach.

We may take a drive back to Ridgewood later this week for another look around. We did try to head over to Paramus, ended up taking a wrong turn, but managed to find the Ikea store
We don't have kids so can't comment specifically but Ridgewood and Glen Rock are thriving family towns with excellent schooling (one of the major draws) and I can only imagine there is a wealth of activities for kids going on after school and in the holidays. I think that's why a lot of people move here, for the schools, family/community feel and a great, safe place to bring up kids. Ridgewood town centre will meet your day to day shopping needs, some days the town centre is bustling and at night there is an extremely lively restaurant scene. Most of the restaurants are BYOB as they don't have liquor licenses. There is a lot of housing in the town which is totally walkable to the town centre. Where we live, I am about 1 mile equidistant from the 2 towns which is nice. You would even be perfectly safe on the roads on a bicycle if that's your thing. That was one of strict criteria when we rented our house, because we knew I wouldn't have the car during the week, I had to be within walking distance to the town to get a coffee, shopping etc. That was non negotiable!! And it's also nice to be able to be able to walk into town and have dinner and glass of wine (or two!) and not worry about driving home.

Paramus is the shopping mecca of NJ as you will have seen the whole area is filled with malls, stores and shopping centres but having a car is definitely needed for that. Supermarkets, liquor stores, fast food places and restaurants are open on Sundays, if you really need a mall on a Sunday, there is one just over the NY state line (Nanuet?) or drive up to Wayne.

Direct express bus from Ridgewood into Manhattan PABT is 1 hour (a little more in rush hour) and frequent trains into Penn Station with a quick change at Secaucus.

I would definitely recommend trying to see Ridegwood again on a weekday or a Saturday even for a better feel.

Hope that's helpful.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

CA-NY - Thank you for the Ridgewood info. We will definitely go and have another look. I have also discovered that both Ridgewood and Summit have YMCA, which also run activities for children in the holidays. Also, they are looking for volunteers which is something that I would be extremely interested in. I'm a yoga teacher so could offer my services for free to the community, or help with the administrative side of things.

Englishmum - Believe it or not we didn't notice the reservation! I remember being caught up in a one way system, and with our track record of getting lost I was probably looking at the map I had however, come across the link that you posted whilst researching areas to exercise our dog off leash, but I didn't make the connection. We are heading back to the Summit area today for another look and will make a point of checking the reservation out.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:59 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

CA-NY - Thank you for the Ridgewood info. We will definitely go and have another look. I have also discovered that both Ridgewood and Summit have YMCA, which also run activities for children in the holidays. Also, they are looking for volunteers which is something that I would be extremely interested in. I'm a yoga teacher so could offer my services for free to the community, or help with the administrative side of things.

Englishmum - Believe it or not we didn't notice the reservation! I remember being caught up in a one way system, and with our track record of getting lost I was probably looking at the map I had however, come across the link that you posted whilst researching areas to exercise our dog off leash, but I didn't make the connection. We are heading back to the Summit area today for another look and will make a point of checking the reservation out.
Just 1 block from the Summit YMCA is "The Connection for Women and Families" - I used to go most weekdays to aqua-aerobics - and it has a new large gym and dance/yoga studios. Much cheaper than the 'Y' too:

Http://www.theconnectiononline.org