Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to NJ - advice on areas

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have workman in all next week and my weekends are taken too or I would offer to meet you and show you around. We are working flat out trying to get our house ready to put on the market.
That would have been great . I hear where you are coming from. We will be renting our house out and had agents in the other day. When we come back from our visit we also have to work like the clappers to get all the odd jobs done (you know, the ones ignored for months and months), have a clear out and get the house in pristine condition ready to rent. Slap bang in the middle of this is a trip to Thailand, which has been 4 years in the planning. To say I am *anxious* is an understatement. Am sipping red wine as I type....
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

There are some excellent school districts in Lower Westchester 25-35 minute commute into NYC on the Harlem Line, Bronxville, Eastchester and Scarsdale.

When we were looking to relocate here originally in 2003 we came with OH job for two years, we also didn't ship any furniture but his relocation package included furniture rental for a 3 bed house for the 2 years - maybe worth asking about.

We looked at NJ, Brooklyn and Lower Westchester and our primary consideration was schools and we ended up in Westchester.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It pretty much is around here - hope it's better in NJ?

You need to plan carefully and make sure you are in a walkable area or you'll go bananas.
Yes, for LA I agree. My brother lives there and when we went for a visit years ago I knew I would never be able to live here without a car.

As a yogi, "going bananas" is all in the mind......
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

BTW if you can bring over a shipment of Frazzles I'd be happy to give you the tour of Lower Westchester
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
There are some excellent school districts in Lower Westchester 25-35 minute commute into NYC on the Harlem Line, Bronxville, Eastchester and Scarsdale.

When we were looking to relocate here originally in 2003 we came with OH job for two years, we also didn't ship any furniture but his relocation package included furniture rental for a 3 bed house for the 2 years - maybe worth asking about.

We looked at NJ, Brooklyn and Lower Westchester and our primary consideration was schools and we ended up in Westchester.
Westchester is also on my radar if NJ does not work out. Do you know Pelham?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BTW if you can bring over a shipment of Frazzles I'd be happy to give you the tour of Lower Westchester
Ahhhh frazzles, they're sooo bad they're good
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Westchester is also on my radar if NJ does not work out. Do you know Pelham?
Yes, very well its 5-10 minutes from where we are. Also a good area but I'm not as familiar with the school district. You need to be careful though as the school district borders Mt Vernon and you could have a house that has a Pelham zip code but falls into the Mt Vernon school district - which you wouldn't want!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

le10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nice

I moved to Mendham (just outside Morristown) 2 years ago.

It meets all your criteria in my opinion (rental of $3000 might be a little low though).

However, in my opinion, it is next to impossible to live in the "nicer" areas of NJ unless you can drive.

I realize that "nicer" is extremely subjective (and I apologize in advance for this :-) ).

You have to remember that most streets do not have pavements unless it is a downtown area, shopping precinct, or is a major town.

Paul.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

This area sounds great! Bet houses to rent are expensive though if the commute is that short and the schools are good? (We might be looking to move to the NYC area so I can get a job.)
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

le10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nice

Also....summit (good town)...it's always really busy here catching the train in the morning..

If you can, and it makes sense, look at towns earlier (west) on the line.

Like shorthills, chatham, madison etc.

It's a slightly longer commute (15 mins) but otherwise it can be a struggle getting a seat in the mornings.

Paul.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again, thanks for all the replies. Others towns/areas that have been suggested to us are Tenafly, Englewood and Leonia. We will certainly have a lot to look at.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Again, thanks for all the replies. Others towns/areas that have been suggested to us are Tenafly, Englewood and Leonia. We will certainly have a lot to look at.
Have you looked at posts by Englishmum? She used to live in Milburn and has posted loads of good info about the area and the commute to NYC.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=1486
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slummymummy
This area sounds great! Bet houses to rent are expensive though if the commute is that short and the schools are good? (We might be looking to move to the NYC area so I can get a job.)
Bronxville is expensive as its the closest to the city and has what is considered one of the best school districts in the state.

It also has lots of rich people and famous people including the NFL commissioner whose daughter plays soccer with my youngest and any number of investment banker type people but it also has lots of nice "normal" people too

Good rental properties in all three districts go very quickly and you have to be in a position to just go for it if you want it there and then. We couldn't find the right house so looked at houses that were for sale and asked the broker to approach them and see if they were interested in renting out their houses and got lucky.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Good for you! We might try that too. Rentals are difficult to find, we got lucky here in FL with a house but it might be harder elsewhere. Definitely not ready to buy.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

The no driving is going to be an issue at many levels.

We live in Millburn, NJ and you could live near downtown (which is quite nice) for your budget and according to everyone that lives here we have the best school system not just in NJ but quite possibly the whole world Now I am drinking the Millburn koolaid...

Seriously Millburn is fine and the train is fast into NYC.

p.s. If you come to our house it looks like an Ikea catalog.... furnished the whole house in one weekend of Ikea madness..... You will become very familiar with Ikea in Elizabeth and Paramus....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.