British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relocating To New Jersey - Any Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relocating-new-jersey-any-advice-759722/)

ShaggyRS6 May 27th 2012 3:26 pm

Relocating To New Jersey - Any Advice

Hi everyone. I am lucky enough to have been asked by my American Based firm to relocate to the US. It looks like its going to happen in about 6 months time.

The firm is based in Manhattan on 6th Avenue in Mid Town.

I have been in contact with a Real Estate agent and have asked then to start sending me details on rentals in the New Jersey area. Predominately I am looking at Bergen County, Ho Ho Kus, Upper Saddle River, that type of place.

I love the county and I love the outdoors, cycling, shooting, fishing. So if you kind people have any advice on other towns I might look at that would be great.

For info my son is 15 I will be taking 2 dogs and my wife. Wherever we live must be close enough to local stores so my wife can get to them with maybe the view of her getting a little part time job.

That's Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob May 27th 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Relocating To New Jersey - Any Advice

Welcome to BE and good luck!

If you have a search, there's been plenty of threads recommending various places in NY already.

Englishmum, especially has posted lots about places along the commuter line, so there should be loads to get you started.

city-data.com is another great resource too :)

CA-NY May 28th 2012 12:31 pm

Hi there, we are a UK couple relocating to the very same area hopefully around November time. Have just started our Visa application, husband will be on L1A, me on L2, his company are fast tracking the application so we will hopefully get everything moving very quickly. We are hoping to rent in Ridgewood (our first choice of town) but also considering Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Paramus, Midland Park and the like. to be honest, all the towns just kind of run into one another. If you look at a map, we're trying to stay within Highway 208 and Route 17 and will go as far up as Waldwick / Wykoff. Only town we've been advised to avoid is Paterson. We visited the area last month and absolutely loved it. There are not really any bad areas it's all very nice, suburban, middle class. Ridgewood especially is known for it's great town centre which has a huge variety of shops, bars, restaurants etc. We have no children so no need for schools, but it's my understanding the school system in these areas is some of best and that may influence you choice of town. We can't wait to get over there and settled. Have you visited the area before?

I'm checking rentals on a daily basis but as I found out with the help of this forum it's really immaterial what's available to rent now, it only matters what's available at the time when you are ready to sign a lease but it's definitely worth getting acquainted with areas and what your money can get you. We're working on a budget of minimum $2000 per month, would stretch up to $2500 for a really well located, nice single family home. My ideal property would be within walking distance of Ridgewood town centre so I can get out and about to shops etc. during the day. I'm checking NJMLS, Craigslist, Weichert rentals on a regular basis and getting updates from Terrie O'Connor Realtors. If you'd like any more info on the area, I don't claim to be an expert, but will certainly try and help if I can, having just been there.

Englishmum May 28th 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6 (Post 10084915)
Hi everyone. I am lucky enough to have been asked by my American Based firm to relocate to the US. It looks like its going to happen in about 6 months time.

The firm is based in Manhattan on 6th Avenue in Mid Town.

I have been in contact with a Real Estate agent and have asked then to start sending me details on rentals in the New Jersey area. Predominately I am looking at Bergen County, Ho Ho Kus, Upper Saddle River, that type of place.

I love the county and I love the outdoors, cycling, shooting, fishing. So if you kind people have any advice on other towns I might look at that would be great.

For info my son is 15 I will be taking 2 dogs and my wife. Wherever we live must be close enough to local stores so my wife can get to them with maybe the view of her getting a little part time job.

That's Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Bob said.....just go to the search facility and there are dozens of posts.

What I will add though, is that all of the shops and shopping malls in Bergen county are closed on Sundays - people drive miles away to do their shopping on Sundays - loads of them at my local mall (Short Hills).

My best friend, an Aussie expat, returned from Oz and is renting a house in Ho Ho Kus. She hates it there (small, boring, 'cookie cutter' inward-looking people) and is leaving after her eldest completes grade 8 next Summer. I've been there a few times, tbh there is little to do in HHK and Ridgewood (though more expensive, apparently) has more life to it.

She says most of the people there have lived in HHK and the local towns for generations, most of them are 'Irish Americans' some are 'Italian Americans' and send their kids to a private Catholic high school after completing grade 8 (the elementary and middle schools are combined) She also dislikes the trek to Newark airport (JFK is further away) compared to where she lived previously in Maplewood.

You might also want to check out the train connections; I think one has to change trains to/from New York Penn and Hoboken at the Secaucus transfer station, whereas if you are on the Midtown Direct train lines you stay on the same train to your destination. http://njtransit.com

If you are after a middle-class type of suburb with excellent schools and commute to NYC and Newark airport then also consider towns like Chatham, Madison, Summit (fast commute in peak hours as it is a large town), Millburn, Maplewood - all have many expats.

CA-NY May 28th 2012 6:48 pm

Supermarkets are still open on a Sunday in Bergen County along with restaurants, cafes etc. but yes all the malls are closed.

All trains into Manhattan have to change at Seacaucus, we did the trip into the city on a Saturday, Ridgewood Station to Penn Street in 1 hour but I believe there are express trains for commuters during the week that do it around 45 mins.

Jerseygirl May 28th 2012 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by CA-NY (Post 10087000)
Supermarkets are still open on a Sunday in Bergen County along with restaurants, cafes etc. but yes all the malls are closed.

All trains into Manhattan have to change at Seacaucus, we did the trip into the city on a Saturday, Ridgewood Station to Penn Street in 1 hour but I believe there are express trains for commuters during the week that do it around 45 mins.

The largest mall in NJ is even closed the Sunday before Christmas...could never understand why they do that.

labbe Jun 3rd 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10086597)

What I will add though, is that all of the shops and shopping malls in Bergen county are closed on Sundays - people drive miles away to do their shopping on Sundays - loads of them at my local mall (Short Hills).

My best friend, an Aussie expat, returned from Oz and is renting a house in Ho Ho Kus. She hates it there (small, boring, 'cookie cutter' inward-looking people) and is leaving after her eldest completes grade 8 next Summer. I've been there a few times, tbh there is little to do in HHK and Ridgewood (though more expensive, apparently) has more life to it.

She says most of the people there have lived in HHK and the local towns for generations, most of them are 'Irish Americans' some are 'Italian Americans' and send their kids to a private Catholic high school after completing grade 8 (the elementary and middle schools are combined) She also dislikes the trek to Newark airport (JFK is further away) compared to where she lived previously in Maplewood.

You might also want to check out the train connections; I think one has to change trains to/from New York Penn and Hoboken at the Secaucus transfer station, whereas if you are on the Midtown Direct train lines you stay on the same train to your destination. http://njtransit.com

If you are after a middle-class type of suburb with excellent schools and commute to NYC and Newark airport then also consider towns like Chatham, Madison, Summit (fast commute in peak hours as it is a large town), Millburn, Maplewood - all have many expats.

Hi, If you want want to be close to the city the nearest place would be Hooboken or Jersey City. Either one are great places to live, with nice views of Manhattan but with lower living expenses than the city. Both these places offers -close by malls, parks, schools and public transportation to the city and and to Penn station.

ShaggyRS6 Jun 5th 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CA-NY (Post 10086385)
Hi there, we are a UK couple relocating to the very same area hopefully around November time. Have just started our Visa application, husband will be on L1A, me on L2, his company are fast tracking the application so we will hopefully get everything moving very quickly. We are hoping to rent in Ridgewood (our first choice of town) but also considering Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Paramus, Midland Park and the like. to be honest, all the towns just kind of run into one another. If you look at a map, we're trying to stay within Highway 208 and Route 17 and will go as far up as Waldwick / Wykoff. Only town we've been advised to avoid is Paterson. We visited the area last month and absolutely loved it. There are not really any bad areas it's all very nice, suburban, middle class. Ridgewood especially is known for it's great town centre which has a huge variety of shops, bars, restaurants etc. We have no children so no need for schools, but it's my understanding the school system in these areas is some of best and that may influence you choice of town. We can't wait to get over there and settled. Have you visited the area before?

I'm checking rentals on a daily basis but as I found out with the help of this forum it's really immaterial what's available to rent now, it only matters what's available at the time when you are ready to sign a lease but it's definitely worth getting acquainted with areas and what your money can get you. We're working on a budget of minimum $2000 per month, would stretch up to $2500 for a really well located, nice single family home. My ideal property would be within walking distance of Ridgewood town centre so I can get out and about to shops etc. during the day. I'm checking NJMLS, Craigslist, Weichert rentals on a regular basis and getting updates from Terrie O'Connor Realtors. If you'd like any more info on the area, I don't claim to be an expert, but will certainly try and help if I can, having just been there.

Sounds like we are almost going through the same process. I am just awaiting a formal offer from my firm. We will be looking up to 3500 per month I think.

The only thing that worries me is my bad credit score. I have been stung like many more brits borrowing more than I could afford. If I relocate it all goes away as I will pay off all my debts.

I was wondering if anyone know's if a bad credit record will affect me.

My firm will act as guarantor for House and Car I believe.

ShaggyRS6 Jun 5th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10086597)

Thanks for the advice, I will do a little sniffing around on the forums. I am sure I will have lots of questions. Will hopefully get a formal offer next week.

Jerseygirl Jun 5th 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6 (Post 10101761)
Sounds like we are almost going through the same process. I am just awaiting a formal offer from my firm. We will be looking up to 3500 per month I think.

The only thing that worries me is my bad credit score. I have been stung like many more brits borrowing more than I could afford. If I relocate it all goes away as I will pay off all my debts.

I was wondering if anyone know's if a bad credit record will affect me.

My firm will act as guarantor for House and Car I believe.

You will find that with most things the world starts in NYC and finishes in LA. A good or bad credit rating elsewhere means nothing here. You will start off on the bottom rung of the ladder...this also applies to car insurance.

ShaggyRS6 Jun 5th 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10101775)
You will find that with most things the world starts in NYC and finishes in LA. A good or bad credit rating elsewhere means nothing here. You will start off on the bottom rung of the ladder...this also applies to car insurance.

That's actually one huge weight off my mind. Thanks you :)

Englishmum Jun 5th 2012 7:43 pm

I've just received an e-mail from Weichert Realtors in Short Hills as a rental property has come up.

It is a 3 bedroomed house in Millburn (best public school district in the State) for $2800 per month. You can look it up on the 'Garden State MLS' (multiple listing service) or probably on the Weichert website.

It will go quickly though because of the school district.

Englishmum Jun 5th 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by labbe (Post 10097987)
Hi, If you want want to be close to the city the nearest place would be Hooboken or Jersey City. Either one are great places to live, with nice views of Manhattan but with lower living expenses than the city. Both these places offers -close by malls, parks, schools and public transportation to the city and and to Penn station.

These places are brilliant for singles or couples. However, unless one is planning to send ones children to private schools (which are very expensive) then it's not a great place for families to live as the public schools have a poor reputation.

ShaggyRS6 Jun 5th 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10102018)
I've just received an e-mail from Weichert Realtors in Short Hills as a rental property has come up.

It is a 3 bedroomed house in Millburn (best public school district in the State) for $2800 per month. You can look it up on the 'Garden State MLS' (multiple listing service) or probably on the Weichert website.

It will go quickly though because of the school district.

Yeah I see it. I actually deal with Karen she sends me all the matching houses. I do have 2ndogs to bring as well so they need to be able to take pets.

Thank you for looking :)

I'm getting my wife to start reading this now. Her biggest issue is going to be finding a small job and missing being able to walk to her mums. That's going to be a hurdle for her .

Jerseygirl Jun 5th 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6 (Post 10102032)
Yeah I see it. I actually deal with Karen she sends me all the matching houses. I do have 2ndogs to bring as well so they need to be able to take pets.

Thank you for looking :)

I'm getting my wife to start reading this now. Her biggest issue is going to be finding a small job and missing being able to walk to her mums. That's going to be a hurdle for her .

2 dogs could be a problem. What type of dogs...big...small?