Relocating to Houston - where to live

Relocating to Houston - where to live

Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating to Houston - where to live

Originally Posted by goodbyeyellowbrickroad
Well were here! Been in Houston for just over 3 weeks now and so far so good

Thanks for all the tips on different neighbourhoods. We've leased a house in the Montrose area which we'll be moving into next week. I cannot wait to get my mitts on all our stuff and get our new home set up. Think we'll be happy there - seems to be a lot of places to eat nearby, husband will have a very short commute to Downtown and there's a couple of little parks and a local library nearby for me and the baby during the week.

Next step is for me to learn to drive. Crazy as it is I reached my thirties without learning and now we're in Houston I definitely have to bite the bullet and get on with it! The thought of driving on the freeways freaks me out but keep tellign myself if 15 year olds can learn then so can I. Wish me luck.
We recently moved not far from Montrose and I have been on a bus 3 times now! They are clean, quick and regular, Dollar twenty five per trip Cheaper than paying for parking lol
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

goodbyeyellowbrickroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Texasjan - do you think taking a pushchair on the buses here is doable?

Husband is seriously considering using the bus to get to work but has had some negative comments from guys in his office about the kind of characters you get on there. Coming from London we're used to having interesting folk on the bus and tube.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Houstonians can be very snobby about using buses, they seem to think they are only for 'non-whites' and poor people!? I've used them a couple of times and are cheap and plentiful. Granted, I wouldn't want to be travelling on my own, at night, in some areas, but that applies anywhere. Having lived in London I would say Houston buses are safer!

Certainly an easy way of getting about during the day though and cheaper than using your own gas!

Can't help you on the pushchair bit I'm afraid but I know that most of them as supposed to be able to get wheelchairs on so pushchairs should be OK.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be honest, I didn't even know there were buses here apart from the Metro Park and Ride commuter buses! Although now you've mentioned it, I guess I must have seen them around Herman Park area because for some reason I know they have bike racks on the front - it just hadn't clicked that they were 'normal' buses rather than the commuter ones! Plus they don't get out as far as us :-(

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Mar 27th 2013 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I like to use the light rail whenever we can. It will be good when they make it go further though because it is limited.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:19 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I like to use the light rail whenever we can. It will be good when they make it go further though because it is limited.
We use it when we're downtown too. Cheap, clean, efficient. Like you say, shame it is so limited. The expansion plans don't bring it anywhere near us, which is a shame as our 16 lane (or however many it is) nightmare could do with a little assistance....
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We use it when we're downtown too. Cheap, clean, efficient. Like you say, shame it is so limited. The expansion plans don't bring it anywhere near us, which is a shame as our 16 lane (or however many it is) nightmare could do with a little assistance....
One day maybe...
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
One day maybe...
Not holding my breath for anytime soon - as long as it doesn't rattle my bones too much from 6' under!