Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:44 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Originally Posted by Bink
Yep. Houston has become the most competitive salary market in O&G as a result.

The majority of the project teams for the rest of world are based out of Houston, even if the projects are in say West Africa. There's an awful lot of work about at the moment - every company I know is slammed right now.
Also big energy projects in places like North Dakota. Not somewhere most business headquarters want to be.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:44 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadeaway531
Thanks for all of the responses! I'll be working in the West Sam Houston area. I know that living in Katy or The Woodlands will be quite a long commute but it's balancing convenience for me with my family being comfortable and happy and I think they'd settle a lot better in a more village-like environment. We will be having a trip out there next month for them to look around though.
West Beltway 8 is pretty close to Katy and very close to Lakes on Eldridge. A long way to Woodlands though. Village like environment? Yoi'd really have to go out in the sticks for that!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:49 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of the responses! I'll be working in the West Sam Houston area. I know that living in Katy or The Woodlands will be quite a long commute but it's balancing convenience for me with my family being comfortable and happy and I think they'd settle a lot better in a more village-like environment. We will be having a trip out there next month for them to look around though.
Lakes on Eldridge is probably closest then, but you also have Briar Forest area. Katy isn't too far, but the Woodlands is likely pushing it. Cypress is also doable, depending on where you are. Bink would be able to tell you more about the commute as far as beltway 8 (which is what Sam Houston is also known as).

I'm assuming you're of West SH North of I-10 though?

As far as being in a village, it really depends on the sub-division (think estate). Some of them have central facilities so you have a centre of the community, some don't. That is about as village-like as it will get though - no paper shop, no village pub!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby works at Westchase just off the Beltway below Westheimer. We chose to live in Pearland which is South of Houston. He has a daily commute of around 30 - 40 minutes depending on traffic. Outwith peak times we can be downtown to see a ball game, theatre or The Galleria area in 20 a 30. The Woodlands, although very nice, would be a major traffic nightmare for you. Lakes on Eldridge would be good, they seem to have a large Brit population if that's what you are looking for. Every Brit who moves over seems to think the only areas to live are Katy, Cinco, Woodlands, maybe Cypress but there are lots of other areas to check out. Having been here for 4 years now I may have chosen Sugarland rather than Pearland as I like the overall feel of the area esp. like their town center!

As for 'village like' I can't say I have ever found anything close. You will probably end up living in a sub-division (housing development) which may have some communal facilities like a pool or park but don't expect a corner shop or even to see many people walking about, it's just not like that. We moved from a small town just South of Aberdeen so it was definitely a culture shock getting in your car for everything!

Are you planning on a short or long stay in Houston? Check out city-data.com forum for Houston for more info on The British School, although you will have to search for the posts. We did have a look before we moved here but it was kinda run down looking and as we we planning to stay long term it was more important to have our son integrate with the locals (he was almost 9 when we moved).

Good Luck!

Last edited by ChocolateBabz; Sep 22nd 2012 at 2:52 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
My hubby works at Westchase just off the Beltway below Westheimer. We chose to live in Pearland which is South of Houston. He has a daily commute of around 30 - 40 minutes depending on traffic. Outwith peak times we can be downtown to see a ball game, theatre or The Galleria area in 20 a 30. The Woodlands, although very nice, would be a major traffic nightmare for you. Lakes on Eldridge would be good, they seem to have a large Brit population if that's what you are looking for. Every Brit who moves over seems to think the only areas to live are Katy, Cinco, Woodlands, maybe Cypress but there are lots of other areas to check out. Having been here for 4 years now I may have chosen Sugarland rather than Pearland as I like the overall feel of the area esp. like their town center!

As for 'village like' I can't say I have ever found anything close. You will probably end up living in a sub-division (housing development) which may have some communal facilities like a pool or park but don't expect a corner shop or even to see many people walking about, it's just not like that. We moved from a small town just South of Aberdeen so it was definitely a culture shock getting in your car for everything!

Are you planning on a short or long stay in Houston? Check out city-data.com forum for Houston for more info on The British School, although you will have to search for the posts. We did have a look before we moved here but it was kinda run down looking and as we we planning to stay long term it was more important to have our son integrate with the locals (he was almost 9 when we moved).

Good Luck!
I'm surprised you said that about Sugarland.It may have a better look than Pearland but I think in the past few years crime in Fort Bend County has really gone crazy. I just look back to when we moved here and none of these areas were populated and built up as they are today but I guess it must be needed.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

"Villlage like" is kind of tough to find in Houston.

Your reference to West Sam Houtston is too vague...West chase is on SHPkwy west as is EC... Are you I-10 and Beltway 8? One idea is the Heights..it is a bit more village like...and your commute will be easier going the other way. There are a few guys at husbands work in EC who live in the Heights and are fine there. Rice Village I guess is kind of village like but that is stretching the concept! We don't have funky, homey neighborhoods like NYC or San Fran.

Please reconsider a move to woodlands. The commute up there is a bear! I can see so many neighborhoods that fit your wishes without your being 3-4 hours in a car every day.

Look at city-data.com and there is a thread in the past few weeks on the traffic. Even the locals are starting to complain.

And for Bink, hubbys company as well can't find enough to hire. They have to move a lot of work back over to the UK offices or force secondments to Houston. It's been a boom lately! Young Brits seem okay to move over...the 20+ experience ones are hard to convince to come over...
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

fadeaway531 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, it's on Clay Road off the Sam Houston tollway. Does that help? Think the Woodlands is probably off the list now, will certainly look at the Heights though! Thanks for the city-data tip as well, been looking and that's a very useful website - interesting to see the crime stats for each area. Do you find crime a big issue in Houston?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:29 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it's on Clay Road off the Sam Houston tollway. Does that help? Think the Woodlands is probably off the list now, will certainly look at the Heights though! Thanks for the city-data tip as well, been looking and that's a very useful website - interesting to see the crime stats for each area. Do you find crime a big issue in Houston?
Lakes on Eldridge is by far the closest then.

Regarding crime, I haven't seen it as an issue in the two years I've been here. But there are definitely bad areas. Greenspoint is known as gunspoint locally for a reason.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm surprised you said that about Sugarland.It may have a better look than Pearland but I think in the past few years crime in Fort Bend County has really gone crazy. I just look back to when we moved here and none of these areas were populated and built up as they are today but I guess it must be needed.
I do still like Pearland and being at the quiet end has its advantages, Pearland Town Center and Sugarland Town Center are both traffic nightmares at the weekend. I can't put my finger on why I like it down there, I think maybe their town center feels more like a town back home? and they have a whole foods which means I am 30 miles closer to their Irish bangers!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I do still like Pearland and being at the quiet end has its advantages, Pearland Town Center and Sugarland Town Center are both traffic nightmares at the weekend. I can't put my finger on why I like it down there, I think maybe their town center feels more like a town back home? and they have a whole foods which means I am 30 miles closer to their Irish bangers!
Certainly true about weekend traffic! We went to Bass Pro near the Beltway last Saturday and then back to HEB. Even on the bike we got caught up in crazy traffic.

I wish there was a Whole Foods in Pearland
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:01 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I wish there was a Whole Foods in Pearland
They are building one in Katy so maybe you'll be next
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weeze
They are building one in Katy so maybe you'll be next
Maybe..
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:50 pm
Chocoholic !

Have a look at Bridgeland, one of our members moved there (Houston Bound), not sure how your commute would be but it's a lovely area and their girls seems to have settled well at the local schools.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 12:00 am
The worse half of Weeze

Have a look at Bridgeland, one of our members moved there (Houston Bound), not sure how your commute would be but it's a lovely area and their girls seems to have settled well at the local schools.
Just based on having driven by it, that's a good shout!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 12:01 am

Handy for the outlet mall!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.