Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating - East Bay- any info GREATLY appreciated please

Relocating - East Bay- any info GREATLY appreciated please

Old Aug 12th 2015, 1:49 am
Just Joined

WiltshiretoCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating - East Bay- any info GREATLY appreciated please

Hi Nicsay, I would be so interested to know if you settled in pleasanton eventually? My hubby, 2 daughters and I are currently house hunting in Pleasanton ahead of our relo in September. We are actually finding it a little difficult to find somewhere to rent that accepts dogs and had the right requirements for us, so it's a but nerve wracking!
Would love to hear your experiences
Leanne x
Old Aug 12th 2015, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Walnut Creek for 3 1/2 years until two weeks ago (moved to Seattle).

I like the East Bay, but if you have to get to San Jose then go as far south as possible - the commute is terrible. I rarely went to our San Jose Office but leaving any time after 3pm I could guarantee a 2+ hr commute. It would be better to Pleasanton but still not fun.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiltshiretoCali
Hi Nicsay, I would be so interested to know if you settled in pleasanton eventually? My hubby, 2 daughters and I are currently house hunting in Pleasanton ahead of our relo in September. We are actually finding it a little difficult to find somewhere to rent that accepts dogs and had the right requirements for us, so it's a but nerve wracking!
Would love to hear your experiences
Leanne x
Nicsay hasn't posted here since February 27th, so unfortunately it is unlikely that she will respond to your question.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi, totally jumping on someone else's thread now, because I have the same question regarding where to live. Walnut Creek looks great, but yes indeed a long commute to north San Jose. Pleasanton seems to be where to keep circling back to - if only we could find some way to shrink our dog by half his body weight (most places that do happen to accept dogs require then to be under 25lbs- why is this? ) � ����
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, totally jumping on someone else's thread now, because I have the same question regarding where to live. Walnut Creek looks great, but yes indeed a long commute to north San Jose. Pleasanton seems to be where to keep circling back to - if only we could find some way to shrink our dog by half his body weight (most places that do happen to accept dogs require then to be under 25lbs- why is this? ) ������
There are plenty of threads discussing issues surrounding some dog breeds and property rentals. Doing a search for them would be a good starting point.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There are plenty of threads discussing issues surrounding some dog breeds and property rentals. Doing a search for them would be a good starting point.
Thank you, I will try that.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at Fremont in the the Mission San Jose and North Warm Springs districts along Mission Blvd and Paseo Padre which has a much better commute, has very good schools, and plenty of hills and open space.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 12th 2015 at 5:41 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... if only we could find some way to shrink our dog by half his body weight (most places that do happen to accept dogs require then to be under 25lbs- why is this? ) .....
Dogs damage floors and doors/door frames as an increasing function of their weight. A dog less than 20lb isn't heavy enough to do any damage to a floor, and probably not damage a door or door frame (much) by scratching at it, but once you get up to 40-50lb dogs you can be looking at significant marks on any hard-surface floor and noticeable damage to doors and door frames.

Larger dogs are also commonly prohibited under the landlord's liability insurance.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Nicsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi WiltshiretoCali,

I've just private messages you -

Sorry- I've not been on for ages- this thread and people on here really helped me and of course I'm happy to do the same. X
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicsay
Hi WiltshiretoCali,

Sorry- I've not been on for ages- this thread and people on here really helped me and of course I'm happy to do the same. X
Where did you end up and what's your experience of the commute? Finding out 'what happened' is what makes these threads worth contributing to (for me)!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Nicsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi steerpike- first of all it's worth mentioning that we came from the London area and traffic is horrendous there so we are not easily shocked in that respect. My husband is fortunate in that he is able to have flexible hours-,- he leaves at 5.15am and it takes him 28 minutes( his exact words!!) and that's going at a respectable speed- he leaves at 3pm and it takes him just under an hour to get home.
We settled for Pleasanton - it just felt right and we are very happy here. My husband likes the fact that he feels miles away from work when he's home.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

lunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond reputelunarose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
We went for the South Bay in the end, and we're living in the Los Gatos mountains with the children in an amazing school.
We will hopefully be moving in November to Los Gatos/Cambrian area. What schools are your children in?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nicsay hasn't posted here since February 27th, so unfortunately it is unlikely that she will respond to your question.
Hi WiltshiretoCali,

I wasnt expecting that!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi steerpike- first of all it's worth mentioning that we came from the London area and traffic is horrendous there so we are not easily shocked in that respect. My husband is fortunate in that he is able to have flexible hours-,- he leaves at 5.15am and it takes him 28 minutes( his exact words!!) and that's going at a respectable speed- he leaves at 3pm and it takes him just under an hour to get home.
We settled for Pleasanton - it just felt right and we are very happy here. My husband likes the fact that he feels miles away from work when he's home.
Wow - I sometimes have to drive from Los Altos to Walnut Creek, along 237 and then up 880 and then 680, and if I don't leave Los Altos by 2pm I'm looking at close to 2 hours (obviously a further journey, but the 'Sunol Grade' section of 680 is the worst). Getting there by 11am is usually just 1 hr. Anyway - glad he's liking it (though people do say ... traffic is lighter during summer ... kids out of school, and all that). I'll be doing that run tomorrow so I'll pay extra attention

Are you liking the weather? I love it!

I've had reason to spend more time than usual in Danville at night (restaurants), and am reminded of how nice Danville downtown is. Hope you have a chance to explore it someday. Also went hiking in the hills behind San Ramon - Las Trampas - pretty nice.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I have in the past 30 years!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunarose
We will hopefully be moving in November to Los Gatos/Cambrian area. What schools are your children in?
Hi there, things have moved on since I last posted! We've actually decided to move our children from their old public school, Lakeside, to a private school, Los Gatos Christian. We're all excited about the move - they start at their new school next week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.