British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relocating with Children (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relocating-children-914216/)

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 9:06 pm

Relocating with Children

Hi,

I would appreciate any experiences/advice you can offer me on moving my family to the US. I have a very good job offer to relocate and work in New Jersey. I have 2 boys aged 8 & 10, i have agreement that I wouldn’t have to move them until next school year (being Summer 2019) so my eldest would finish his junior school and give me the opportunity to find the right school and property to rent. Main office would be Hoboken.

Both my boys are currently doing very well academically and enjoying playing a lot of sport. The main thing holding me back is my worry about totally unsettling them and ruining their education. Has anyone experienced moving children at a similar age?

I’d appreciate any comments or pearls of wisdom people may have.

Thanks in advance!!

mikelincs Jun 22nd 2018 9:12 pm

Re: Relocating with Children

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12520962)
Hi,

I would appreciate any experiences/advice you can offer me on moving my family to the US. I have a very good job offer to relocate and work in New Jersey. I have 2 boys aged 8 & 10, i have agreement that I wouldn’t have to move them until next school year (being Summer 2019) so my eldest would finish his junior school and give me the opportunity to find the right school and property to rent. Main office would be Hoboken.

Both my boys are currently doing very well academically and enjoying playing a lot of sport. The main thing holding me back is my worry about totally unsettling them and ruining their education. Has anyone experienced moving children at a similar age?

I’d appreciate any comments or pearls of wisdom people may have.

Thanks in advance!!

First pearl of wisdom is what visa are you moving over on, unless you are a US citizen already, your potential employer will have to apply for a work visa and, unless they are an employer that is cap exempt then the earliest they could apply would be April 2019 for a start date, assuming you got a visa in the lottery for H-1B visas would be October 2019.

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks Mike, I’ve been travelling on an L1 for about 50% of my time for last two years, I had asssumed it would be a H1b but I’ve added this to my list of questions for next week when I have a more formal sit down with my boss. He’s only proposed it in the last couple of weeks so I need to start getting in to these type of questions. He did say they would look to kick off the green card process but I haven’t looked in to this in any detail yet as well.

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12520973)
Thanks Mike, I’ve been travelling on an L1 for about 50% of my time for last two years, I had asssumed it would be a H1b but I’ve added this to my list of questions for next week when I have a more formal sit down with my boss. He’s only proposed it in the last couple of weeks so I need to start getting in to these type of questions. He did say they would look to kick off the green card process but I haven’t looked in to this in any detail yet as well.

Are you transferring to the US office of the company you already work for?

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Jersey girl - yes it would be.

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12520981)
Hi Jersey girl - yes it would be.

Hello and welcome to BE. :)

Why can’t you relocate on the existing L1?

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 9:55 pm

Ah maybe I can - I will end up with relocation support so I’ll ask about which visa it will be and maybe that’s fine to move on the L1 as you say which is great then kick off the green card process.

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12520983)
Ah maybe I can - I will end up with relocation support so I’ll ask about which visa it will be and maybe that’s fine to move on the L1 as you say which is great then kick off the green card process.

Your family will require visas to accompany you. I suggest you post questions about visas in the US Immigration forum.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-i...ship-visas-34/

Your story sounds familiar. My husband spent every other week for 2 years in NJ before we decided to make the move...our daughter was 11. He didn’t have a visa at that point...but had a L1a...we had accompanying visas when we moved.

Edit: I recommend you read through Englishmum’s posts/threads. Although her husband worked in Manhattan she has posted excellent info re life in NJ.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/memb...glishmum-1486/

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 10:08 pm

Very similar, as a rule I do 2 weeks U.K., 2 weeks US but it’s been tough on the family but we’ve had some great holidays and enjoyed the experience but now it’s decision time! If you don’t mind me asking how did your daughter take to moving? I’m searching around online looking at best schools and letting that lead to where I look to initially rent as I’ve had an apartment in Hoboken but the schools around there really aren’t great from what I can establish. Thanks

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12520990)
Very similar, as a rule I do 2 weeks U.K., 2 weeks US but it’s been tough on the family but we’ve had some great holidays and enjoyed the experience but now it’s decision time! If you don’t mind me asking how did your daughter take to moving? I’m searching around online looking at best schools and letting that lead to where I look to initially rent as I’ve had an apartment in Hoboken but the schools around there really aren’t great from what I can establish. Thanks

He worked one week in NJ...one week in Basil...weekends in the UK. Yeah it was tough...but instead of him flying home during school holidays...the company allowed us to use his ticket to fly to the US.

My daughter was one of the few who didn’t like living in the US. She enjoyed visiting but living there is a whole different kettle of fish. She went to uni in Canada, got a job and stayed there. She would tell you that she bitterly regrets leaving the UK, family and friends. Don’t let that put you off...there are many on here who moved with children and have a different story to tell.

CA-NY Jun 22nd 2018 10:24 pm

If you don't mind a commute, have you considered one of the suburb towns on a train line that will take you into Hoboken very easily (I don't think you have to change at Secaucus for Hoboken) e.g. Ridgewood, Glen Rock. Very good schools and great towns for families.

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks - yes it’s where I think I’ll be focusing around those type of places and Sumit I hear is also quite good. It looks like you just get more property for your money and where the better schools are. Is anyone familiar on many of the curriculum differences or if there are many ex-pat communities in one of the NJ suburbs? Appreciate all your questions and views so far,

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12521000)
Thanks - yes it’s where I think I’ll be focusing around those type of places and Sumit I hear is also quite good. It looks like you just get more property for your money and where the better schools are. Is anyone familiar on many of the curriculum differences or if there are many ex-pat communities in one of the NJ suburbs? Appreciate all your questions and views so far,

Summit...that’s one of the reasons I posted the link to Englshmum’s Post/threads. EM lives in Summit and has posted extensively about schools, transport etc.

I lived in Mendham for over 18 years. A little further west but let me know if you want info about the area.

DC4 Jun 22nd 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks Jerseygirl, am flying back this weekend so will make use of the time on the flight and review the links you sent through.

Jerseygirl Jun 22nd 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by DC4 (Post 12521004)
Thanks Jerseygirl, am flying back this weekend so will make use of the time on the flight and review the links you sent through.

:thumbsup: