Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating Cat in Cabin London-USA

Relocating Cat in Cabin London-USA

Old May 18th 2021, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

jennifersherys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating Cat in Cabin London-USA

I will be travelling with my cat in cabin on Air France on my first flight is from London-Paris (AF 1381) and then Paris-Boston (AF 334).

The US does not require my cat to have a rabies vaccine or microchip to enter the US, but as we will be transiting thru France (4.5 hour layover), although it is not our final destination, will the rabies vaccine and microchip be required to board the plane from London-Paris?

The flight from London lands at terminal 2E at Charles DeGaulle and the flight to Boston takes of from the same terminal (2E) so I will not need to leave the airport or terminal while in France. I just want to see if I will need to comply with only the US requirements with AirFrance or I need to also follow entry requirements for France despite only being in the airport for 4 hours.

Similarly, I cannot get a straight answer on if i need the microchip/rabies vaccine when leaving UK if we don't plan on coming back.

I plan to get her chipped and the rabies vaccine, but would prefer to do it at her new vet in the US since our move was a somewhat emergency with little notice.

Thank you for any help!!
Old May 18th 2021, 8:58 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating Cat in Cabin London-USA

I'd do the chip and rabies vaccination with your current UK vet. You will have enough to do once you get to the USA that ticking one thing off the list in advance would be a good idea in my mind. Your cat will need to visit your UK vet in any case for a fitness to fly examination and letter, the letters for our 2 cats included their chip number and I also included their chip numbers on their crates for loading onto the plane (ours went in the hold).
Old May 18th 2021, 10:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I'd do the chip and rabies vaccination with your current UK vet. You will have enough to do once you get to the USA that ticking one thing off the list in advance would be a good idea in my mind. Your cat will need to visit your UK vet in any case for a fitness to fly examination and letter, the letters for our 2 cats included their chip number and I also included their chip numbers on their crates for loading onto the plane (ours went in the hold).

+1. Excellent advice.
Old May 19th 2021, 11:10 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above.

IMO, with the feline preclusion for 'disappearing' I would never not have mine microchipped anyway.
Old May 20th 2021, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifersherys
I will be travelling with my cat in cabin on Air France on my first flight is from London-Paris (AF 1381) and then Paris-Boston (AF 334).

The US does not require my cat to have a rabies vaccine or microchip to enter the US, but as we will be transiting thru France (4.5 hour layover), although it is not our final destination, will the rabies vaccine and microchip be required to board the plane from London-Paris?

The flight from London lands at terminal 2E at Charles DeGaulle and the flight to Boston takes of from the same terminal (2E) so I will not need to leave the airport or terminal while in France. I just want to see if I will need to comply with only the US requirements with AirFrance or I need to also follow entry requirements for France despite only being in the airport for 4 hours.

Similarly, I cannot get a straight answer on if i need the microchip/rabies vaccine when leaving UK if we don't plan on coming back.

I plan to get her chipped and the rabies vaccine, but would prefer to do it at her new vet in the US since our move was a somewhat emergency with little notice.

Thank you for any help!!
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/im...dogs-and-cats-
"Dogs or cats imported into Massachusetts that are not vaccinated for rabies will must be vaccinated within 30 days of entry".

if you did not have to fly thru France you would have had to get it done shortly in Boston.

Old May 21st 2021, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Without a microchip, how can you prove that the rabies vaccine card is for the same cat?
Its best to get the chip and vaccine done within the 30 days prior to travel.