Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relinquishing Green Card

Relinquishing Green Card

Old Jan 23rd 2023, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relinquishing Green Card

As theOAP says, the teacher’s retirement pension might be a factor in how much SS the OP receives so it is as well to check their SS earnings record as some teacher’s retirement schemes do/did not pay into SS (aka FICA or payroll tax).

I have not applied for SS yet, but my wife’s SS has been appearing in her UK bank like clockwork every month and the exchange rate can’t be bettered. She applied through the FBU at the US Embassy in London and it was at that point they discovered she was a US citizen (I was part of the phone conversation) and the SS guy told her that she would receive her SS regardless of whether or not she was a US citizen but they needed to update their records and needed to see US passports. We left it a few months because at that point the US Embassy was not fully manned because of Covid and the agent was actually calling from his home. When we did send our passports in they were returned promptly within a few days.
Old Jan 26th 2023, 8:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
.... Additional point, my understanding is that expatriate US citizens can collect social security. Former LPR’s cannot.
The rules on that are complex and arcane, and do not lend themselves to a succinct summary, however, generally speaking, that is incorrect, and with certain conditions and subject to some exceptions, former Permanent Residents now resident outside the US, and non-residents who previously held a visa to working the US, and who made sufficient payments, are eligible to receive Social Security retirement benefits. .... As I understand it, one of the exceptions is illegal immigrants who paid into Social Security using a stolen or fraudulent SSN.

All that said it would be wise for the OP to confirm that he/she would not be adversely affected by giving up PR status.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2023 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ssa.gov/international/pa...outsideUS.html
SSA has lots of great information on whether you can receive SS payments abroads. The link above takes you to a quick questionnaire that reveals you are entitled to received payments in UK if you were a LPR. There are a lot of further links that explain taxation withholding, WEP etc. I am looking for an expert who could check on my understanding of this information across several countries - it is not easy.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

japettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I have followed the link and see that the UK has an agreement with the US, and social security will still be paid. This is a big relief. I have also used the SS website to calculate the effects of the WEP on my expected payment. It takes it to slightly less than 50%, but better than nothing. I will renounce my green card shortly as it does not have a bearing on soc sec payments. It would be rescinded after 1 year anyway unless I pursue returning to keep up residency status. I have also been given a tax firm in the UK that does both US and UK tax filings. So things are moving forward!
Old Jan 30th 2023, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

japettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond reputejapettee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have confirmed that social security payments can be made to UK citizens after renouncing resident status.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I have found a handy WEP calculator on line. My anticipated social security payments will be just less than 50% of a normal payment, but at least I will still be eligible as a non-us resident.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

I have just spoken to a seemingly competent tax advisor and feel much better about what I need to do moving forward!
Old Jan 30th 2023, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that you have a good path forward. Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! My departure from the US should have had a longer planning period! I have found out that some US investments are not recognised by the UK, so that will be interesting to unravel down the road…! I’m afraid my heart overruled my head in my hasty departure. But it’s great to be home!
Old Jan 30th 2023, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by japettee
.... I will renounce my green card shortly as it does not have a bearing on soc sec payments. It would be rescinded after 1 year anyway unless I pursue returning to keep up residency status. ....
It probably makes sense for you to file an I407 to relinquish your green card, however the idea that it expires after 12 months is actually a myth. While online guidance appears to point that way, the reality can be rather different with permanent residence potentially lasting far beyond 12 months, even if the green card itself has actually expired. Ultimately all an immigration officer at a port of entry can do is refer you to an immigration court for a ruling. ... Though you _would_ have to remain in the US pending the hearing.

Also, near the bottom right corner is a button marked "Quote", and if you want to reply to a specific post, click on that button first, then we'll know who you're replying to. You can also deleted quoted sections that aren't relevant to your reply.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It probably makes sense for you to file an I407 to relinquish your green card, however the idea that it expires after 12 months is actually a myth. While online guidance appears to point that way, the reality can be rather different with permanent residence potentially lasting far beyond 12 months, even if the green card itself has actually expired. Ultimately all an immigration officer at a port of entry can do is refer you to an immigration court for a ruling. ... Though you _would_ have to remain in the US pending the hearing.

Also, near the bottom right corner is a button marked "Quote", and if you want to reply to a specific post, click on that button first, then we'll know who you're replying to. You can also deleted quoted sections that aren't relevant to your reply.
Oh! Thanks for the tip - I obviously haven’t read the instructions very well. Yes, I will be using the I407 form.
Old Jan 31st 2023, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

ckusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check out the i8854 form/instructions (https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854) which covers 'exit' taxes. (Been trying to figure out in which order to do/submit all these forms!).
Old Jan 31st 2023, 11:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have found a handy WEP calculator on line. My anticipated social security payments will be just less than 50% of a normal payment, but at least I will still be eligible as a non-us resident.
This one?
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html

It is a relief to hear that SS is still paid to a UK resident after giving up LPR - I was sure I checked 9 years ago when I left but this thread had me a bit shaky for a few moments.

I assume you have online access to SS to see what your pre-WEP pension will be.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ckusa
Also check out the i8854 form/instructions (https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854) which covers 'exit' taxes. (Been trying to figure out in which order to do/submit all these forms!).
Thanks for this link. It looks like I can’t file this until confirmation of cessation of residency status. Not having a net worth of 2 million seems to be advantageous! I have completed my I407 form and it is waiting for me to seal the envelope and post. Not that I’m having second thoughts, but it is making me pause as I realise I am cutting a significant tie to my past 30 years.
And, yes to your query about online access to SS. I tried to enter my change of address, but a FAQ answer stated that they take addresses from the IRS until you start collecting, and cannot be changed on the SS site.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

And, yes to your query about online access to SS. I tried to enter my change of address, but a FAQ answer stated that they take addresses from the IRS until you start collecting, and cannot be changed on the SS site.

That shouldn’t be a problem. Our address with the IRS changed to our UK address several years before my wife started collecting her SS benefits and I don’t remember her having to specifically change her SS address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.