British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Relinquishing Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/relinquishing-green-card-946837/)

SanDiegogirl Jan 22nd 2023 11:32 pm

Re: Relinquishing Green Card

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 13167485)
This is on the SSA website:-

After 30 years in the US that is a heck of a chunk of change that has possible already been thrown away!

Wow..... this comes as a horrible shock. After paying in for years you get nothing if not a citizen ...?????

tht Jan 22nd 2023 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13167522)
Wow..... this comes as a horrible shock. After paying in for years you get nothing if not a citizen ...?????

Not quite… “after their sixth calendar month outside the United States”

SanDiegogirl Jan 23rd 2023 12:44 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13167523)
Not quite… “after their sixth calendar month outside the United States”

Yes, its this being out of the US that worries me. I was always under the impression that if one had paid into Social Security, regardless of whether you were a citizen or not you would receive your pension anywhere in the world - rather like the UK State Pension.
I have a colleague who has been in the US for 30 years ; worked the whole time and paid into SS; never became a citizen and intending to retire back to the UK; he's relying on his US pension to top up any pension he gets from the UK.
Are we now saying he won't get any US pension unless he becomes a citizen?

RICH Jan 23rd 2023 2:07 am

I find it curious that one would spend 30 years on a green card without exploring the option of citizenship and the potential consequences.

S Folinsky Jan 23rd 2023 4:29 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13167522)

Do note we are talking about payments to expatriates. If a U.S. citizen expatriates, they can continue to collect. If an LPR expatriates (and concomitant abandonment of LPR) then apparently can no longer collect.

Vanessa_GA Jan 23rd 2023 5:13 am

I'm trying to understand this ssa publication: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf
I think it says that a UK citizen living in the UK can receive earned social security payments. See page 5, #3. However, it does keep saying " continue to receive payments", so I hope the rules are the same if you apply to receive benefits when already in the UK.

japettee Jan 23rd 2023 7:12 am

I was never interested in becoming a USC. And I wasn’t smart enough to think ahead to possible financial issues down the road!!

robin1234 Jan 23rd 2023 7:30 am

Originally Posted by japettee (Post 13167555)
I was never interested in becoming a USC. And I wasn’t smart enough to think ahead to possible financial issues down the road!!

Sounds like you’re fully qualified to become a citizen, though, I’m not sure how long it takes from initial application. You’d just have to remain a US resident for that much longer, which of course doesn’t preclude you from traveling to and from the UK, buying or renting a property there, etc.

christmasoompa Jan 23rd 2023 8:13 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13167556)
Sounds like you’re fully qualified to become a citizen, though, I’m not sure how long it takes from initial application. You’d just have to remain a US resident for that much longer, which of course doesn’t preclude you from traveling to and from the UK, buying or renting a property there, etc.

I think OP has already moved to the UK from what they've said.

theOAP Jan 23rd 2023 9:19 am

A UK resident is not required to also be a US citizen in order to receive US SSA benefits they have qualified for from US employment.

An exception to US SSA rules is a totalisation agreement. Regards collecting US SSA benefits, countries with an agreement fall under different rules than countries without an agreement. Benefit payments to non-US persons resident outside of the US may have SS benefits restricted if they are resident in a country without a totalisation treaty.

There is a UK US Totalisation Treaty.

International Programs -U.S.-U.K. Social Security Agreement (ssa.gov)

Part 3, Article 7 states:

"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, any provision of United States laws which restricts entitlement to or payment of cash benefits for persons who are not nationals of the United States solely because such persons reside outside or are absent from the territory of the United States shall not be applicable to persons who reside in the territory of the United Kingdom"

Application for benefits from US SSA can be made to the FBU (Federal Benefits Unit) at the US Embassy.

PetrifiedExPat Jan 23rd 2023 1:40 pm

OP should become a US citizen and lock in social security.

ckusa Jan 23rd 2023 2:07 pm

Re. US/UK SS/pensions: I can't lay by finger on it now, but I believe that there is a US/UK agreement on SS payments whereby SS paid in the US can count towards your UK NI contributions (and vv). try https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10199.pdf for starters.

MidAtlantic Jan 23rd 2023 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ckusa (Post 13167659)
Re. US/UK SS/pensions: I can't lay by finger on it now, but I believe that there is a US/UK agreement on SS payments whereby SS paid in the US can count towards your UK NI contributions (and vv). try https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10199.pdf for starters.

This only comes into effect if you have insufficient contributions in either country:
When you apply for benefits—You may have some Social Security credits in both the United States and the United Kingdom but not have enough to be eligible for benefits in one country or the other. The agreement makes it easier to qualify for benefits by letting you add together your Social Security credits in both countries.

theOAP Jan 23rd 2023 3:29 pm

The OP mentioned they receive a payment from a “teachers retirement system”. They need to be aware that WEP may be a factor in reducing the amount of SS benefits they receive. This would be true regardless of either a US or UK residence. If living in the UK the monthly SS benefit can be paid directly into a UK bank account. No need to worry about exchange rates; the payments are made always at a good rate on the day of payment. Mine have come like clockwork for a number of years. A teachers retirement benefit sent to a UK resident needs to be explored, and Robin, who posted above, may know more about this.

If the OP would decide to gain US citizenship, they need to explore the somewhat punitive treatment of their financial affairs in the UK (by the IRS and US Congress) as a USC resident in the UK. These can can have consequences, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. If a person is reasonably sure (as can be) they will never return for residence in the US, one would question the reasoning of becoming a USC. Family in the US,…..maybe. Oh, for an accurate crystal ball.

PetrifiedExPat Jan 23rd 2023 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by theOAP (Post 13167686)
The OP mentioned they receive a payment from a “teachers retirement system”. They need to be aware that WEP may be a factor in reducing the amount of SS benefits they receive. This would be true regardless of either a US or UK residence. If living in the UK the monthly SS benefit can be paid directly into a UK bank account. No need to worry about exchange rates; the payments are made always at a good rate on the day of payment. Mine have come like clockwork for a number of years. A teachers retirement benefit sent to a UK resident needs to be explored, and Robin, who posted above, may know more about this.

If the OP would decide to gain US citizenship, they need to explore the somewhat punitive treatment of their financial affairs in the UK (by the IRS and US Congress) as a USC resident in the UK. These can can have consequences, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. If a person is reasonably sure (as can be) they will never return for residence in the US, one would question the reasoning of becoming a USC. Family in the US,…..maybe. Oh, for an accurate crystal ball.

I think these are all valid. The SS payments for me would outweigh all of the above concerns. Re: reporting to IRS, I would suggest they hire a competent CPA and take the stress out of the equation