Religion

Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Religion

Let me start by saying I am not trying to offend anyone.... just curious.

Ok my question(s)... is it pretty much the norm across the US to have 'in your face religion'? even for those living outside the bible belt? or is this just a local thing in MI?

I am all for religion, I am a Christian (although I haven't been into a church for quite a while) however I find it really weird that people (perfect strangers) will question you on religion and offer you to attend their church... anyone else notice that? and why does it seem so much more focused on money here too? I always thought the whole idea of church was to spread the word of God not to turn a profit... and thats another thing why does a country that seems so devout have such a problem with the word God being used?

OK stepping down of my high horse

Ash
Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Religion

depends where you live...it's not to bad over here, plenty of churches of various kinds, but people generally don't push them down your throats...
Old Jun 5th 2005, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

I've never had a problem with people asking me to atttend their church, only if they accept my normal "thanks but no thanks" reply gracefully.

While growing up in Mobile, Alabama, I have had experiences a plenty where people find out I'm not particularly religious, and take it as an invite to cram their own beliefs down my throat in an attempt to make me see the light.

Alternately, many communities lack adequate sources of entertainment for young people. Local churches tend to organize outings (camping trips, bowling nights, etc) and this in turn makes them more visible to the area and helps with revenue.

As a kid, the local church had a gymnasium where kids could pay $.50 - $1 a day and play volleyball, swim, basketball and use the weightroom and all without any proselytizing. Good deal!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:49 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Let me start by saying I am not trying to offend anyone.... just curious.

Ok my question(s)... is it pretty much the norm across the US to have 'in your face religion'? even for those living outside the bible belt? or is this just a local thing in MI?
Unfortunately it is not just a local thing where you live. I can't seem to get away from it where I live, either. Always hearing people talk about where they go to church, asking me where I go to church (just assuming I'm Christian), always getting glossy solicitations in the mail inviting me to attend church such-and-such.

However, from my experience I would have to say that the "in-your-face" religious attitudes (and let's face it, we're talking Christians here) haven't been around all that long, as least not as prevalent and, well, "in your face" as in the past 4-5 years.

(Gee, what's happened in America in the past 4-5 years that might have brought about this change? Oh, right -- George Bush, an evangelical Christian, was elected president. He started pushing for (and getting his Republican congress to pass) Christian-based initiatives. Then we were attacked by Muslims who called us a bunch of infidels who deserved to die. Then we had to go to Afganistan and Iraq to get that all sorted out, which meant fighting Muslims on a day-to-day basis. And so on... Honestly, it wasn't like this under the Clinton administration or really any other administration prior to GWB, whether Republican or Democrat.

Plus, it annoys me how "commercialized" Christianity has become. T-shirts, bumper stickers, bracelets, etc., all over the place. When I was growing up, religion was pretty much a private issue. You didn't walk around with "His pain, your gain" plastered on your chest AND be considered normal. It's tacky, if you asked me.

Ok... I guess you can tell my feelings on this issue! I'll shut up now...

~ Jenney
Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Here in MD from what I've seen there are differences across the state. In my neighbourhood, there are quite a few small churches, none of those megachurches you see in the south, and no one has yet come to my door asking me to attend their church, and from what i've seen they don't really have any fundraising activities. These are quite old churches (comparitively speaking...) and aren't the more modern evanelical ones which seem to me to be more about Je$u$

However, going into western MD, one pastor is rebuilding Noahs ark....

Rebuilding Noahs Ark.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot say that its been a "real problem" around this way. There are more churches though than fast food joints which I must say is a little concerning! I wonder if its also "necessary" or "helpful" to the community in general. Where there is religious diversity there can be religious intollerance also. I wonder if some of these churches "got together" I wonder how well they would accept/tolerate the others views/beliefs, some would do better than others I feel. For example I discovered that a workmate was a Jehovas Witness recently and the "rules/beliefs" that they are expected to follow some may argue are quite ridiculous, like being chaparoned on a date!! Talk about playing gooseberry!
I cannot help feeling that whilst some go to church for the "right reason" that there are also those that go as its the thing to do!! When I hear some of there morals etc I would say it sometimes is not the best example of a churchgoer. I know I am not perfect but at least I would not do/say what they are.
Also there is also the issue of money etc where its going to etc within the church. I remember the song "Jesus He Knows Me" about all the tv evengelists and what some did with all the money donated (Morris Ceurillo was a case in point)

I have rambled on enough, bye!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I think the 'we'll stuff (Christian) religion down your throat whether you like it or not' attitude is definitely a bible belt thing. We encountered it all over the South (which, incidentally, stretches all the way up to Virginia), but never here in California.

Questions such as ' at which church do you worship?' are very common in the South - quite often almost immediately following a social introduction. I have found that such people tend to have a very black and white attitude to life: abortion is murder, murderers deserve to be put to death, Christ IS our saviour (and if you don't believe this you'll burn in hell...) etc.

One of the saddest things I have seen in my life was a little toddler wearing one of those awful 'Abortion is Murder' type T-shirts (or words to that effect) - complete with picture of foetus. It is just one example of how some 'Christians' here indoctrinate their children from the day they are born, never giving them a chance to explore other sides of an issue.

And don't get me started on Creationism (now rebranded as 'Intelligent Design'...) :scared:

Elvira
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been asked. Maybe I look like I am beyond help?. lol

I have been to church here about 4 times in two years with my family who half of them regularly attend church, but never preach to me about their beliefs and how I should come along and try it, which is great. I think the last time we went to church, it was because my niece and nephew were involved in the service and I remember turning to my wife about half way through and telling her "You do realise that I will never get this hour of my life back".
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We had our first religious encounter before we even stepped off the plane.

The flight attendant had been impressed with our children's behaviour and asked if we were on holiday. We replied that we were moving here and at the end of the flight she brought us a note with the address of her church written on it, with the times it was open and told us that they had a lovely free summer camp for kids. (bible camp)

It's been fairly "in your face" since then. We are in Texas though, and in a dry town to boot....sigh...
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

A few things from an American's perspective:
1. I've lived here for almost all of my 31 years (a few stints elsewhere) and never been asked once to attend anyone's church. I haven't set foot in a church in about 20 years and it's never been a problem. However, I've lived mostly in the Northeast, a decidedly non-bible-belt area. I've also lived in NYC, DC and now Chicago. I'd say Chicago is by far the most Christian-centric place I've lived and even here it's far from "in your face". As others have noted this varies widely be region.

2. The so-called Chrisitan Right movement is hardly new. People who tell you it only really gained steam since Bush was elected are deluding themselves. Every president I can remember has invoked God publicly on multiple occassions (for example Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, was and is a born-again). The evangelical Chrsitian movement goes back to at least the early 1800s. Also, the percentage of voters that self-identify as "born again"s hasn't changed in decades, they're just better organized and funded these days. It's a very vocal minority.

3. I completely agree with most of you on the fraud that is "intelligent design", stem-cell research and other fundie hot buttons. Here's the thing, I'll bet the vast majority of Americans do too. As I said, the one-issue voters are a minority that just squeal louder than other people.

I'm sure America is still much more religous than the UK, but it's not nearly as fundie as some in the European press like to make it seem.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jun 5th 2005 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:12 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We had our first religious encounter before we even stepped off the plane.

The flight attendant had been impressed with our children's behaviour and asked if we were on holiday. We replied that we were moving here and at the end of the flight she brought us a note with the address of her church written on it, with the times it was open and told us that they had a lovely free summer camp for kids. (bible camp)

It's been fairly "in your face" since then. We are in Texas though, and in a dry town to boot....sigh...
What's really interesting is how much it varies even by community within the same city. We're also in DFW, in Plano to be precise, and we've had almost no pushy Christianity (let's face it, it's not the local Jews and Muslims who are trying to convert y'all!).

One reason is probably that we intentionally chose a racially diverse part of Plano to live in, and Plano is more racially diverse than other parts of the DFW metroplex. We figure that by living within a few blocks of a Jewish temple and a Mosque, the local populace are likely to be slightly more tolerant and liberal (LIBERAL, I hear you gasp in amazement?!?).

On the other hand, the first work colleague I was introduced to asked what church we were attending... but when I told him I was an agnostic Jew word spread around the company and I was never asked again
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem ..never been approached ... nothing...
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for the first person to ask me. Go on...ask away.

We're in Washington State, like California I think its a bit less bible swinging...but you never know.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What's really interesting is how much it varies even by community within the same city. We're also in DFW, in Plano to be precise, and we've had almost no pushy Christianity (let's face it, it's not the local Jews and Muslims who are trying to convert y'all!).

One reason is probably that we intentionally chose a racially diverse part of Plano to live in, and Plano is more racially diverse than other parts of the DFW metroplex. We figure that by living within a few blocks of a Jewish temple and a Mosque, the local populace are likely to be slightly more tolerant and liberal (LIBERAL, I hear you gasp in amazement?!?).

On the other hand, the first work colleague I was introduced to asked what church we were attending... but when I told him I was an agnostic Jew word spread around the company and I was never asked again
Yes I heard Plano was more "progressive" but only after we moved here and this place is at least convenient for my hubby's job.

The area I am living in (outskirts of Garland, right by the new Firewheel Mall development) is also racially diverse but, obviously not enough to discourage the bible bashers from dropping off their leaflets and inviting me to their churches.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Jun 5th 2005 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 4:14 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I used to have a neighbour that would send me Jesus videotapes to watch. I would just politely tell her that I wasn't interested. She was a very sweet lady and meant well, but it was annoying! I had to lie to her and tell her that I "worshipped in my own way" then she backed off. If she knew I was an atheist, she wouldn't leave me alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.