Reload this Page >

Reimporting a 2003 300M to California from Canada

Reimporting a 2003 300M to California from Canada

Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Nick Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reimporting a 2003 300M to California from Canada

Hi,

I would like to reimport my American 2003 Chrysler 300M from Canada to California to do a dealer trade in. I plan to drive it myself, entering at Port Angeles. It is 132,000 miles (which is why no one would buy it), but the dealer has guaranteed trade in. I have all the documents for it: bill of sale (used, 2006), proof it was US registered, Canada registration, service history since 2006. I am a non-US resident already there on an H-1B visa. I'm not worried by paying duty, although I don't believe that applies since the car is American.

Three questions:

- Does it meet California emissions standards, and is this relevant for a trade in? It doesn't have modifications such as a different catalyst, AFAIK.
- Import information states "To safeguard against importation of dangerous pests, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of imported cars be free of foreign soil. Have your car steam-sprayed or cleaned thoroughly before shipment." What, exactly, does this mean? Will a regular car wash or auto detailing place conform to this? Or is there something specific I must prove? Does it even apply since I am not shipping it, but driving it?
- Anything else I could get caught by?

I appreciate this may not be a clear-cut question, but any insight, such as "probably OK", or "definitely not, unless ..." would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reimporting a 2003 300M to California from Canada

Originally Posted by Nick Ball
Hi,

I would like to reimport my American 2003 Chrysler 300M from Canada to California to do a dealer trade in. I plan to drive it myself, entering at Port Angeles. It is 132,000 miles (which is why no one would buy it), but the dealer has guaranteed trade in. I have all the documents for it: bill of sale (used, 2006), proof it was US registered, Canada registration, service history since 2006. I am a non-US resident already there on an H-1B visa. I'm not worried by paying duty, although I don't believe that applies since the car is American.

Three questions:

- Does it meet California emissions standards, and is this relevant for a trade in? It doesn't have modifications such as a different catalyst, AFAIK.
- Import information states "To safeguard against importation of dangerous pests, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of imported cars be free of foreign soil. Have your car steam-sprayed or cleaned thoroughly before shipment." What, exactly, does this mean? Will a regular car wash or auto detailing place conform to this? Or is there something specific I must prove? Does it even apply since I am not shipping it, but driving it?

I appreciate this may not be a clear-cut question, but any insight, such as "probably OK", or "definitely not, unless ..." would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick
I would think you should be able to just drive it in without being streamed cleaned since Canadians as well as trucks cross the border regularly.

Since NAFTA is a free trade zone except for specific products, I don't think you'd need to pay duty on the car even if it wasn't manufactured in the US.

The biggest issue is that California has stricter smog regulations than the rest of the US. I think it is now just refinement of crude and more smog emission tests. Since you owned the car for more than one year, I don't think you'll need to pay California user tax (same as sales tax but for a car purchased out of state).

The car will need to be smog tested and possibly at a "Star Certified" station (usually 10 year old cars have to be "Star Certified") to pass title in California. A "Star Certified" station does the same test as other stations but charge more and usually don't advertise their prices (many only have prices on their board in the office). Some of the unsavory ones will post high prices ($90 or so) in the office and don't have you sign anything and charge you what the board says. A good one will post prices at about $40-$45 including certificate, they'll get you to sign before they smog the car, and that is what they'll charge. Don't use Yelp to find a good one because all the bad ones have good comments (5*'s) and charge high prices. I tried to post comments for both good and bad one's but they were discarded. I think Yelp posts primarily only many of the good comments (probably made by employees) for companies that advertise with them and very few good comments if they don't.

Hopefully the dealer will take responsibility for the smog test.

Call the dealer and ask if there will be a problem smog checking a non California 2003 Chrysler (one from out of state). He should know if there are differences between California cars and other states for that year.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 11th 2013 at 6:09 am.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does it meet California emissions standards, and is this relevant for a trade in? It doesn't have modifications such as a different catalyst, AFAIK.
I believe it is illegal to sell a car in CA without it meeting CA emission standards... but that's a problem for the dealer, not for you! The impact it will have on you is that the dealer can offer a lower trade-in value to take into account the cost of meeting CA standards. This is not something you should have to do beforehand.

Import information states "To safeguard against importation of dangerous pests, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of imported cars be free of foreign soil. Have your car steam-sprayed or cleaned thoroughly before shipment." What, exactly, does this mean? Will a regular car wash or auto detailing place conform to this? Or is there something specific I must prove? Does it even apply since I am not shipping it, but driving it?
You don't need to worry about this, unless you're silly enough to mention to the CBP officer when you enter the US, that you're going to get rid of the car while you're in the US! I imported my car from Canada to the US, and cleaning the undercarriage wasn't an issue. Indeed, I didn't even wash it before entering.

Anything else I could get caught by?
Did you buy the car in Canada? If so - and even if it was manufactured in the US, you'll need a letter from Chrysler of Canada indicating that it meets US (general, not CA) emission standards for its model year. The letter will cost you a nominal fee but usually less than $100.

As far as duty is concerned, you won't pay duty on the car as long as it's your personal vehicle and you've owned it for more than 1 year.

Ian
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Three questions:

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick...welcome to BE.

As this is not an immigration question I have moved your thread into the US forums.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Have the car power washed on a ramp and be sure there is no dirt.
On the wrong day it will be seized and you will be charged a hefty fee for cleaning and disposal of the potentially contaminated soil.
Someone I know in Charleston just got hit with a bill of over $1000 for a dirty vehicle.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was this? As you know, rules and regulations can change over time.

I agree with the other part of your post, though, the part I haven't quoted. Are people required to have the underside of their car steam cleaned every time they drive across the border from Canada to the USA? I doubt it.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I imported my car from Canada to the US, and cleaning the undercarriage wasn't an issue. Indeed, I didn't even wash it before entering.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Nick Ball is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the replies; they are most helpful.

The car was bought in the US.

Regarding taking the car and selling it without telling customs one's intent on entering, as a non-US resident my understanding is that is not legal.

The cleaning thing appears not to be a major issue. Indeed, it does seem silly, since the soil & pests from Canada do not know whether you are going to sell the car or not. Having said that, I will run it through a good car wash and vacuum it.

Thanks again,

Nick
Old Oct 11th 2013, 6:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How much new Canadian dirt and "dangerous pests" will your car pick up during travel from the car wash to the border, I wonder? Perhaps CBP should install some US government-approved car washes at the inspection points.

Regards, JEff
Indeed, it does seem silly, since the soil & pests from Canada do not know whether you are going to sell the car or not. Having said that, I will run it through a good car wash and vacuum it.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding taking the car and selling it without telling customs one's intent on entering, as a non-US resident my understanding is that is not legal.
I believe your understanding is incorrect. It's your personally owned vehicle... you're free to do with it whatever you like. It's no concern of customs or immigration.

Ian
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe your understanding is incorrect. It's your personally owned vehicle... you're free to do with it whatever you like. It's no concern of customs or immigration.

Ian
I agree, just like used household items.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

By cleaning the vehicle thoroughly you are eliminating as possible cause of rejection or seizure.
The issue with the CBP is if one officer makes a decision is it very difficult to get it reversed.