Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Regrets.......I've had a few

Regrets.......I've had a few

Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Regrets.......I've had a few

When I came here I promised myself I was going to the make the most of it, travel to as many different places, make new friends, learn different things etc etc which made me realise that when I was in the UK I never did anything
I couldn't be bothered to drive 35 minutes to see my sister in law more often, only went to London once, only went to Scotland once, didn't appreciate the fantastic view from over my garden wall (I was told by an American the view from where I used to live was one of the most beautiful he had ever seen in the world!) Driving anywhere seemed to be such a chore, we go to theme parks and the beach with the kids all the time now yet even though they were only an hour away at home we never bothered. They're are so many beautiful and historical places in the UK yet I've hardly seen any of them.
Does anyone else regret the things they didn't do before they left?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regrets.......I've had a few

I'm sorry but everytime I try to read your post, my eyes are drawn to your avatar. Did you get FCC permission before posting it? What was the question again?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll play.

I still haven't been to Cornwall, only been as far as Devon. I'd also like to see The tower of London, The Imperial war museum, Durham cathedral, the city of Bath, a live Man Utd. game at Old Trafford.

I go back once or twice a year on business however I usually feel obliged to see my parents with what little free time I have in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm sorry but everytime I try to read your post, my eyes are drawn to your avatar. Did you get FCC permission before posting it? What was the question again?
Well she is from Udders feeled...............I mean Huddersfield.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Jan 30th 2005 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Well she is from Uddersfield.
oye.......nowt wrong wi uddersfield.....only about 8 mile from me.....i must admit we are trying to see different places while we can......my husband has been all around the country with work....me never been to scotland...cornwall....there are many beautiful places in england ......but you have to leave to appriciate them
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Northumberland and I wish I had spent more time walking that beautiful coastline, playing golf in Scotland and visiting the Lake District.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...don't have many regrets about the UK...would have liked to have bothered hop over to ireland though I guess, I've puttered about a few parts of wales, puttered through some of scotland, would like to putter a bit more sometime...london, no attraction there, but then only lived an hour away, and also uni wasn't far so went often....china town was really cool though
puttered around the south coast and a bit up north, york was nice, but the city got a bit boring after a week to be honest...hmmm...
Real regret, not bothering to go to barcelona and see the rest of the catalan country, always held appeal, just been to lazy to go...also south of italy, that would be nice...been to the north, gone through belgian and germany, seen a few spots of holland, would like to go back and see more. Seen lots of austria, parts of switzerland and france...

Just take it all for granted really, it just being so there, so close, and quite affordable to go, just mostly a lazy git with i'll go later mentality, big of a bugger now ain't it...
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regret a thing. I travelled around most of the UK during my childhood with my folks, but once I was older enough to see sights a little further a field, I never looked back. I've truely embraced the country that I now live in, but I will always have great pride in the country I am from. I don't miss it, but I don't hate it either. I was trying to explain this to my father in law just a few days ago when we were talking about being able to go home for a visit, now that I have my green card. Because I don't really want to right now.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the same all over-you take things for granted while you're there and then when you're not there anymore, you miss them and kick yourself for not taking advantage.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

So much to do and not enough time to do it re the UK. However I enjoy beautiful scenery no matter where I am whether it is in the UK or here in the USA. Looking out over the Smokey Mountains is pretty awe inspiring. Visited around 8 states on busines but I must admit I like SC for the weather, scenery, historically and the fact you are not far from the sea or the mountains.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:33 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a software salesman in the UK, I drove all over the place. I've been to almost every part but I still prefer the country side of Hampshire. I lived in West Sussex for the last nine years I was in the UK and loved the area.

Agree with Tony, regardless of country, if the scenary is nice, I'll enjoy it.

At some point I want to take a vacation and drive around some of the States and take some of it in. Always wanted to do a Nevada and New Mexico road trip.

Maybe I'll wait till I'm retired and load up an RV and hit the road

Last edited by rincewind; Jan 30th 2005 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Okay, I'll play.

however I usually feel obliged to see my parents .

you must really luv em eh???
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
When I was a software salesman in the UK, I drove all over the place. I've been to almost every part but I still prefer the country side of Hampshire. I lived in West Sussex for the last nine years I was in the UK and loved the area.

Agree with Tony, regardless of country, if the scenary is nice, I'll enjoy it.

At some point I want to take a vacation and drive around some of the States and take some of it in. Always wanted to do a Nevada and New Mexico road trip.

Maybe I'll wait till I'm retired and load up an RV and hit the road
West Sussex? Whereabouts?

I don't regret not seeing anything in the UK, my parents took me to Scotland and Wales, I lived near London, I visited many historic parts of the country and I too lived in West Sussex which has some beautiful countryside.

Luckily, I travel a lot here in the US too with my employer, I've been to 11 different states, including Washington and Oregon which I thought had some great scenary to take in.

-tom
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:18 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by woodsey
When I came here I promised myself I was going to the make the most of it, travel to as many different places, make new friends, learn different things etc etc which made me realise that when I was in the UK I never did anything
I couldn't be bothered to drive 35 minutes to see my sister in law more often, only went to London once, only went to Scotland once, didn't appreciate the fantastic view from over my garden wall (I was told by an American the view from where I used to live was one of the most beautiful he had ever seen in the world!) Driving anywhere seemed to be such a chore, we go to theme parks and the beach with the kids all the time now yet even though they were only an hour away at home we never bothered. They're are so many beautiful and historical places in the UK yet I've hardly seen any of them.
Does anyone else regret the things they didn't do before they left?
My family found the same kind of inertia when we moved to London (but it is not a London "thing"). Our life long Londoner neighbors had never gone to any of the museums like the Science Museum; or The Planetarium, or the Victoria and Albert etc ... British History Museum ... none of them. We did them all in no time, we were in awe of London and went everywhere, Tower of London etc. I got hooked on the Science Museum and pressed every button in that museum a million times! Well not that much ... I would catch the tube on Saturday mornings and spend the day there - my friends got bored after a couple of trips, but there was so much to read and understand there that I went back again and again.

Later my family moved to a small town called Caerphilly (about 10 miles north of Cardiff), the scenery was to us FANTASTIC and we hiked all over the shop. I cycled/walked up Caerphilly Mountain to fly a kite with my youngest brother several times. It was always so windy up there; we broke the odd kite. The neighbors had never walked to the top of the Caerphilly Mountain, it is not really a high mountain (1,000 feet I think), but it had/has fantastic views of the Rhymney Valley. Also a good place to take the girlfriend.

Last edited by Franklin; Jan 30th 2005 at 9:35 pm.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by psb182
you must really luv em eh???
I'd say obviously if I make that a priority over sightseeing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.