Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering to Vote

Registering to Vote

Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of
Default Registering to Vote

Hi all,

I am a USC and will be moving to the US permanently next week.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to register to vote? I want to be able to vote in the local polling station, but due to business travel I may also need the ability to vote from elsewhere in the Americas depending on the dates.

The information I got from the UK was directed at USC's living overseas - I just want to make sure that I can vote in November. Thanks

Ryan
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering to Vote

Originally Posted by ryanayr
Hi all,

I am a USC and will be moving to the US permanently next week.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how to register to vote? I want to be able to vote in the local polling station, but due to business travel I may also need the ability to vote from elsewhere in the Americas depending on the dates.

The information I got from the UK was directed at USC's living overseas - I just want to make sure that I can vote in November. Thanks

Ryan
State laws vary.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I think , in TX you can register to vote when you go and sort your driving license out.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:30 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Do I remember you as moving to NYC, Ryanayr? Yes, voting registration varies somewhat due to state. However, mostly it's tied to your US residence address, so you'd need to check with your local municipality about how to register to vote there.

I'm a dual US/UK person, so all I did was go on the website of the town I moved to in the States, and look for "How to Register to Vote". Then I had to bring some documents to the Town Hall and complete the registration in person, although I think in some places you can do most of the registration online if you're a USC.

If you have an address where you will be living this coming November, then you should start your research on the local town/city website. Once you actually move, you'll be able to do the registration itself, showing whatever proof your municipality needs to see to be convinced you're living there.

If you're going to be travelling away from your voting address, you can apply in advance of voting day for an absentee ballot, then post it in within the mailing deadline. Or maybe some states have an absentee voting system set up on-line, not sure. I had to request & vote by absentee ballot last November, and it worked fine!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

Thanks alot!

I am going to be NY, just outside of the city. I will ask our realtor when I arrive - thanks for the feedback all - looking forward to participating in this great media circus event!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

In my town you just go to the Town Clerk's office with your proof of citizenship and they sign you up on the spot. The local League of Women Voters organization would also be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from upstate NY. Google your county board of elections - normally you can register in most town halls or county office buildings (if convenient.) They don't make it hard to find a place to register.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Each state is different. Often can register to vote when you get a license, or going to the town hall. Might have a residency requirement of x number of days before being allowed to do a postal or proxy vote though.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Registering is easy and done when you get your drivers license or at dozens of 'voter registration drives' held in malls and fire departments and post offices. Not that hard. You'll be assigned an election 'precinct' where you'll report on election day to vote. If you are not going to be in town, you'll need what is known as an "absentee ballot".

Getting an 'absentee ballot' is more complicated, as it depends on the rules of your state and county election authority. Some states require you provide them with proof you won't be in town, but other states say no matter. Some states even let you vote a few days in advance if you won't be in town. You'll need to get that process underway so that you can get the ballot in time and more importantly return it before the election.

I think proxy voting is specifically outlawed under US Federal Election law statutes, but don't have the citation handy.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanayr
Thanks alot!

I am going to be NY, just outside of the city. I will ask our realtor when I arrive - thanks for the feedback all - looking forward to participating in this great media circus event!
If it's Westchester you'll be in, you can download a form from the county Board of Elections site and mail it to White Plains - this is what my OH did recently. I think it said that if you register by mail you'll need to present proof of your USC status when you go to vote.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:28 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
If it's Westchester you'll be in, you can download a form from the county Board of Elections site and mail it to White Plains - this is what my OH did recently. I think it said that if you register by mail you'll need to present proof of your USC status when you go to vote.
Yes, if someone official doesn't see your face in person & match it up with one or two approved photo IDs when you first register as a new voter in the the area, then you may be required to bring one (or more) photo ID to the voting polls or you won't be allowed a ballot.

When I voted last November, a number of people who'd registered online forgot their photo ID & were quite upset they had to go home for the ID or else forgo voting. That's the one benefit of registering with the Town Clerk or Registrar of Voters in person, so it may be worth doing that. . . .

Also, some municipalities have a deadline for new voter registrations before the election. Our town says no more new regs after 1st November, so don't put off registering too long.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You will need an absentee ballot if you are not going to be able to vote on election day.

As far as I know you can't vote in another state and may not even be able to vote in a different part of the state you reside in, so check into voting by mail or an absentee ballot, the name can vary by state.

Elections are handled at the state level, and every state does it differently.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - will be Westchester so I will follow that advice