Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering for Selective Service

Registering for Selective Service

Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

PeteJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering for Selective Service

Does anyone know whether as a Conditional Resident in the US (Adjusting from K-1 visa) I have to register for selective service. I job that I am applying for requires that you are registered unless you can give a good reason why not...

I am in North Carolina if that makes a difference!

Pete
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering for Selective Service

Originally posted by PeteJ
Does anyone know whether as a Conditional Resident in the US (Adjusting from K-1 visa) I have to register for selective service. I job that I am applying for requires that you are registered unless you can give a good reason why not...

I am in North Carolina if that makes a difference!

Pete
Hi:

Only if you are under age 26.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

I am 25. How do I go about registering?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

You can usually registered at your local library I believe as well as your states DMV. I'm sure if you go on their website you could request that information.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

tigger1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kjdrga
You can usually registered at your local library I believe as well as your states DMV. I'm sure if you go on their website you could request that information.

Your local post office does it to - at least they do here where i live

have a nice day
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

I am 25. How do I go about registering?
Out of curiosity I found:

https://www4.sss.gov/regver/register_nc.asp

I registered back in 1968. I even got to wear green clothes for a while. And learn how to shoot an M-16A1 and other good stuff. They stopped drafting people in 1973.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

F-

And let's hope they keep it that way!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 11:34 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
I registered back in 1968. I even got to wear green clothes for a while. And learn how to shoot an M-16A1 and other good stuff.
OT but what the hell...M16A1? Best rifle to not be issued to the British Army. (apart from the Special Forces blokes - they got all the new toys) I'm out of that loop now but I hear great things about the A2 variant. Knocks spots of the Brits SA80. Still, you can't knock much over with a 5.56mm round. I'll take sevensixty-two, full metal jacket anytime.....

Blimey, nostaglia's not what it used to be.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by tbiller
OT but what the hell...M16A1? Best rifle to not be issued to the British Army. (apart from the Special Forces blokes - they got all the new toys) I'm out of that loop now but I hear great things about the A2 variant. Knocks spots of the Brits SA80. Still, you can't knock much over with a 5.56mm round. I'll take sevensixty-two, full metal jacket anytime.....

Blimey, nostaglia's not what it used to be.
Hi:

I was also qualified on the M-14. The 5.56 made for a much lighter weapon to hump around than the 7.62. Of course, I will admit that I was quite fortunate never to have the opportunity to shoot at people who were shooting at me -- so I am in no position to comment on the effectiveness of the ammunition.

From what I understand, I would have loved one particular feature of the A2 inasmuch as I'm left handed. In the US Army, left handed solidier could always be identified by the perpetual powder burn on the right side of the neck.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tigger1969
Your local post office does it to - at least they do here where i live

have a nice day
I live in NC. I've seen the form for Selective Service at the local post offices...

NC Penguin
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

After reading the selective service website i just wanted to point out that there are probably quite a few 18-25 males out there that are unaware that they have to register as a permenent resident - I was under the impression it was only citizens.

HOwever, if you do not register before your 26th birthday you become ineligible for federal and state jobs aswell as funding/scholarships/loans that are provided by federal and state, but more importantly it appears you are INELIGIBLE for CITIZENSHIP if you have not registered for selective service before the age of 26!!!

I'm glad I realized now as I am coming up to my 26th birthday within the next year....

Pete
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:14 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

After reading the selective service website i just wanted to point out that there are probably quite a few 18-25 males out there that are unaware that they have to register as a permenent resident - I was under the impression it was only citizens.

HOwever, if you do not register before your 26th birthday you become ineligible for federal and state jobs aswell as funding/scholarships/loans that are provided by federal and state, but more importantly it appears you are INELIGIBLE for CITIZENSHIP if you have not registered for selective service before the age of 26!!!

I'm glad I realized now as I am coming up to my 26th birthday within the next year....
Pete
I found out and registered my son, thanks to this newsgroup. Or we may have never known. We have thus avoided having to get a waiver from selective service and all sorts of statements as to why he didn't register...
Old Jul 29th 2003, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Pete
Hi:

On the citizenship angle, BCIS treats it as an issue of "good moral character." So if you fail to register, one of two things kick in -- you have to show it wasn't "wilful" OR you just wait until your 31st birthday [or 29th for IR's of USC] since you can't register after reaching age 26, so you will accumulate the period of GMC after your dastartly deed of failing to register.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Folinskyinla -

THAT'S why the Marines have leather necks(?!) Cripes, you must be aound my age!! Actually I was called up for my draft physical in 1968 but failed it (asthma, hay fever, 8 pounds underweight for my height). While in my shorts in a room full of other guys similarly attired, the form filler outer asked if I had any scars or tattoos. My response was, "No, I haven't been the service yet." He was not amused, although there were some chuckles from some of the other guys.

Richard III
Old Aug 1st 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Unlikely considering the extreme over-extension of the military, and very low morale (especially in the Gaurd) which will result in very low re-up rates.

Any war with N. Korea and the draft is back, period.

Originally posted by kjdrga
F-

And let's hope they keep it that way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.