Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering new car in NJ

Registering new car in NJ

Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:17 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering new car in NJ

Just a quick question. If you buy/lease a new car in NJ from a dealer do you have go to to the DMV yourself to register it or will the dealer do it??

You can get car insurance with a UK License from NJ Auto and a few other companies so hence you can buy the car without a US license.

Just wondered how registration works?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering new car in NJ

It is the dealer's responsibly.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

See that long list of additional paperwork fees the dealer charges you...
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:29 am
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by doconthemove
Just a quick question. If you buy/lease a new car in NJ from a dealer do you have go to to the DMV yourself to register it or will the dealer do it??

You can get car insurance with a UK License from NJ Auto and a few other companies so hence you can buy the car without a US license.

Just wondered how registration works?

Thanks

I ordered my car via International Autosource and they told me that I would have to get NJ driving license in order to register the car in NJ. I have been allocated a dealership where my auto arrives and the dealer will do all the paperwork for me after I have obtained NJ license.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We had big problems registering cars in NJ, back when the old paper i94 was still used. I bought a car from the people we were renting a house from, but because I couldn't get my license as computer said no, I couldn't register it. (although I did get it insured) My husbands i94 somehow hadn't made it into the system. We tried buying a new car so they could register it, but still needed one of us to have a license first. After weeks of multiple trips to DMVs, infopass appointments etc we had to go to the airport to get it sorted out.

The garage can get the 30 day temporary plate, but needed to provide them with an NJ license to get the proper plates and registration.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 4:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadiigo
I ordered my car via International Autosource and they told me that I would have to get NJ driving license in order to register the car in NJ. I have been allocated a dealership where my auto arrives and the dealer will do all the paperwork for me after I have obtained NJ license.
Originally Posted by mum 2 3
We had big problems registering cars in NJ, back when the old paper i94 was still used. I bought a car from the people we were renting a house from, but because I couldn't get my license as computer said no, I couldn't register it. (although I did get it insured) My husbands i94 somehow hadn't made it into the system. We tried buying a new car so they could register it, but still needed one of us to have a license first. After weeks of multiple trips to DMVs, infopass appointments etc we had to go to the airport to get it sorted out.

The garage can get the 30 day temporary plate, but needed to provide them with an NJ license to get the proper plates and registration.
That's how I undestand it to be. Maybe some insurance companies aren't familiar with NJ state law. I know when we arrived we needed a DL and insurance to buy or lease a new car. We couldn't get insurance without a NJ DL...so our priority was DL first, insurance, then the cars.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

TCP_D is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I live in NJ - bought a car from DE a couple of years ago and the dealership dealt with the registration details. NJ requires 4 years of reg fees to be paid at time of purchase. Here's a link to the NJ motor vehicle commission with details regarding moving to NJ, non-citizen getting a driver license, registration, title, etc.
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
If you look around this site you'll also find info on the requirements if you're going to lease a car in NJ.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:18 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

NJ auto provide a insurance quote with a UK License so even now I confused!
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

NJ auto provide a insurance quote with a UK License so even now I confused!
They don't care...as long as they get your money...

Can't you get insurance with NJ Manufacturers? You would have to be crazy not to go with them if you can.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:30 pm
Banned

Sorry I meant New Jersey Manufacturers (NJM) they gave me a quote with a UK License. I thought NJ auto was same thing. Yes I am eligible to get insurance from NJM

Hence my confusion with the whole registration thing as you can get insurance from a decent company with a UK license
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry I meant New Jersey Manufacturers (NJM) they gave me a quote with a UK License. I thought NJ auto was same thing. Yes I am eligible to get insurance from NJM

Hence my confusion with the whole registration thing as you can get insurance from a decent company with a UK license
I don't know if it is part of NJM or not...sorry. All I can tell you is that we had to get our DL first...then we drove straight down to their office to get the insurance paperwork. Admittedly it was a long time ago but I didn't think the rules had been changed. I would call again and speak to someone else On one hand I think they should know the rules...but on the other hand I thought you had to have NJ DL.

Please come back and let us know the outcome. Good luck.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't know if it is part of NJM or not...sorry. All I can tell you is that we had to get our DL first...then we drove straight down to their office to get the insurance paperwork. Admittedly it was a long time ago but I didn't think the rules had been changed. I would call again and speak to someone else On one hand I think they should know the rules...but on the other hand I thought you had to have NJ DL.

Please come back and let us know the outcome. Good luck.
Yes you would think they know the rules as NJM doesn't operate outside NJ. Forget about NJ auto that was just my typo error I meant NJM all along.
I will go with them as their coverage levels are v.good. Have asked a few NJ dealers used to dealing with expats to see if they can shed any light. The DMV site does not!
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes you would think they know the rules as NJM doesn't operate outside NJ. Forget about NJ auto that was just my typo error I meant NJM all along.
I will go with them as their coverage levels are v.good. Have asked a few NJ dealers used to dealing with expats to see if they can shed any light. The DMV site does not!
Everyone who my husband worked with recommended them. They are excellent at paying out promptly without a fuss.