Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering my 2 children as British Citizens

Registering my 2 children as British Citizens

Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering my 2 children as British Citizens

Originally Posted by Elvira
A passport is just a travel document.

A birth certificate is........... so much more...

That's my tuppence, anyway
That I agree with.. what I am questioning is whether in reality it makes any practical difference.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i have to say i would get every certificate the child was eligble for regardless. that way whatever direction they take in the future- they will have everything to hand and it 'could' make their life that bit simpler.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:32 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The problem is that the "documents" you mention might be much harder to replace in 20-30 years time and child might have real hassle/delay proving their British citizenship without a consular birth certificate.

I can't really understand why some people even contemplate not getting one (despite what embassy officials say).
I had pretty much decided to do it but I'm just not in a hurry (she already got her passport).
All the kid would need is my birth certificate and their own stating me as the father. Presumably they need their own anyway, so it really just is my birth certificate and one of those can be applied for online if it goes missing so really it doesn't seem like such a big difference.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superleeds
Hi all, hope someone can help.

I have a GC thru marriage and our 2 children are US Citizens (by birth). They have SSN's and Passports of their own. Any advice appreciated on going about registering them as British Citizens too. I know the US doesn't normally recognise dual nationality. Their still young, 3 & 4, but I would like to give them the additional opportunities for when they are older. Any do's and dont's I should be aware off.
Both my 2 boys have both passports. I registered both births, because as other posters have said, it is a legitimate proof of citizenship. I know a passport is that also, but having the registration of birth can be used in the UK to prove nationality when you have to for example, replacing a lost passport, or proof of birth when a foreign birth certificate is not accepted.

The application process is very easy, but a little pricey. They will take no longer than a month to issue the registration and passports, and the US doesn't give a monkeys about dual nationality.

Best of luck!!!!!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I had pretty much decided to do it but I'm just not in a hurry (she already got her passport).
All the kid would need is my birth certificate and their own stating me as the father. Presumably they need their own anyway, so it really just is my birth certificate and one of those can be applied for online if it goes missing so really it doesn't seem like such a big difference.
You should think a little bit more long term. It may not always be so easy to obtain a parent's birth certificate in the U.K. (most Canadian and Australian jurisdictions have implemented a lot of restrictions all in the name of "privacy").

A British consular birth certificate substitutes for a local birth certificate for United Kingdom purposes. Again, that can save hassle later on if there is some kind of delay/backlog at a future date.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:31 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may not always be so easy to obtain a parent's birth certificate in the U.K. (most Canadian and Australian jurisdictions have implemented a lot of restrictions all in the name of "privacy").
It's a pain in the ring to get someone else's birth certificate - or even official confirmation of the information contained within it - in the US as well.