British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Registering with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/registering-foreign-commonwealth-office-701712/)

CAdreaming Jan 21st 2011 5:05 pm

Registering with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

I have just come across this on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and am interested in finding out if anyone has registered their details.....

"If you are a British national, and travelling or living abroad, or planning to do so, use our LOCATE service to tell us. Our embassy and crisis staff can then give you better assistance in an emergency such as a tsunami or terrorist attack.

We are encouraging all British nationals travelling and living abroad to register with us on LOCATE, even for short trips"

rpjs Jan 21st 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Registering with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9118799)
I have just come across this on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and am interested in finding out if anyone has registered their details.....

"If you are a British national, and travelling or living abroad, or planning to do so, use our LOCATE service to tell us. Our embassy and crisis staff can then give you better assistance in an emergency such as a tsunami or terrorist attack.

We are encouraging all British nationals travelling and living abroad to register with us on LOCATE, even for short trips"

I did the other day, but was not impressed that it insists you enter a return date for your "trip", which can't be more than 366 days from the date you arrived. So clearly not designed for ex-pats!

CAdreaming Jan 21st 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9118810)
I did the other day, but was not impressed that it insists you enter a return date for your "trip", which can't be more than 366 days from the date you arrived. So clearly not designed for ex-pats!

Ah that's a shame- it says it's for both tourists and people living abroad
in fact they seem to stress that Brit Nationals living abroad do register! If I get the same response when I register (which I expect I will)I'll contact them to see what's what and let you know via this site

CAdreaming Jan 21st 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9118810)

I have just tried to register and as you say you have to give a departure date and it only goes up to 2013 anyway with no option to state you intend to live in X country.

I will see if I can email them

rpjs Jan 21st 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9118849)
I have just tried to register and as you say you have to give a departure date and it only goes up to 2013 anyway with no option to state you intend to live in X country.

I will see if I can email them

Yes, I tried to select 31-Dec-2013 as the longest possible time it would allow and it told me it couldn't be more than 366 days from my arrival! So what's the point of having 2013 in the drop-down then?

Sigh, our tax pounds at work...

CAdreaming Jan 21st 2011 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=rpjs;9118941]Yes, I tried to select 31-Dec-2013 as the longest possible time it would allow and it told me it couldn't be more than 366 days from my arrival! So what's the point of having 2013 in the drop-down then?

Sigh, our tax pounds at work...[/QUOT

I've emailed them - let's see if anyone gets back to you- will let you know :fingerscrossed:

Bob Jan 21st 2011 8:22 pm

Dean, the consul chap, mentioned this a year or two ago when they started it.

You've got to renew your details every year, more so they can keep track that you haven't moved somewhere else.

Bit of a clunky system, but it works.

CAdreaming Jan 21st 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9119285)
Dean, the consul chap, mentioned this a year or two ago when they started it.

You've got to renew your details every year, more so they can keep track that you haven't moved somewhere else.

Bit of a clunky system, but it works.

thanks for the info Bob - Im following it up

robin1234 Jan 21st 2011 9:01 pm

I think I'll register with them & then ask them to come and rescue me. Tsunamis? - Terrorist attack? -- I'll mention the lack of a decent Indian Restaurant within driving distance of here and they'll send the SAS to extract me with immediate effect.

traceym Jan 21st 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9119347)
I think I'll register with them & then ask them to come and rescue me. Tsunamis? - Terrorist attack? -- I'll mention the lack of a decent Indian Restaurant within driving distance of here and they'll send the SAS to extract me with immediate effect.

:rofl:

Of course the Tax man could always use it to track you down and sting you with a 5k bill for underpayment by 25p in Tax in the 1988-89 financial year!

I'm sure someone in my family would notice I'm missing after not posting on Facebook for a week or so (not that they'd give a toss!):D

CAdreaming Jan 22nd 2011 6:56 am

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 9119386)

Of course the Tax man could always use it to track you down and sting you with a 5k bill for underpayment by 25p in Tax in the 1988-89 financial year!

I'm sure someone in my family would notice I'm missing after not posting on Facebook for a week or so (not that they'd give a toss!):D

:rofl::rofl:

CAdreaming Jan 22nd 2011 6:57 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9119347)

MsElui Jan 23rd 2011 3:06 am

i did it too - and got the reminder email after a year telling me i was approaching the end dates. So I was able to go in and just add another year and its good for another year. I figure that it might give me a tiny bit more chance of them helping me if i really needed them too - so why not?

CAdreaming Jan 23rd 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9121772)
i did it too - and got the reminder email after a year telling me i was approaching the end dates. So I was able to go in and just add another year and its good for another year. I figure that it might give me a tiny bit more chance of them helping me if i really needed them too - so why not?

thanks - me too, so Im going to register

RickWG Jan 24th 2011 10:06 pm

I'm having a brain fart, looked all over the site, can't find the bit where ya register, link please?

Edit....

& having posted that, I've now found it :)