Registering Children as British Citizens

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

uscit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering Children as British Citizens

I am a british citizen (born in UK) and currently live in the US with my wife (US Citizen). We have two children that I would like register as UK citizens. Because I am UK citizen I was under the impression that my Children also have dual nationality now and therefore I have the following 3 questions.

1. Do I need to register them as UK citizens? (do I have to complete form MN1)
2. On the passport application it asked if they were british nationals at birth? from what I had read british nationals do not automatically have the right to live and reside in the UK as citizens so is this something different?
3. How can they prove their british citizenship?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:10 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering Children as British Citizens

1. You do not need to register them as UK citizens. They already are by virtue of being born to a British parent and you prove this with the documents you send (below).
2. You apply for their passports using this link : https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport. You start the process online and then once you've paid via credit card, you print out the forms and send with your British passport, photocopies of your childrens' passport, originals of your and your childrens' birth certificates and then you need to get a British citizen to sign some of the forms and verify the kids' passport photos (you need to send them 2).

I have done this for my daughter and helped British friends with this process. It's quick and painless although a bit nerve-wrecking sending off originals of your documents.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. No, they are British citizens from birth.

2. All British citizens are British nationals; not all British nationals are British citizens. The answer is “Yes”.

3. You can apply for their British consular birth certificates. This is not mandatory to become a British citizen or be eligible for a British passport but it does provide a permanent record of their eligibility to British citizenship which doesn’t expire unlike a passport. More information is available on the wiki.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti..._Registration_
Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:00 am
Just Joined

uscit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both so much!